Answers

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

??

----- kj
  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

Junk. Spend it

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stained

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

This is simply a dime with some environmental damage (ED) also known as post-mint damage (PMD) on it and it is only worth face value. It may have tape residue on it, or it might have some corrosion from being buried or partially buried in the ground for a bit or it may simply have some other staining. Regardless, it is worth face value.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always gonna be a 10 cent dime. 😐

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's stained. Stick a few brand new ones in the dirt in your garden and you can recreate the damage.

Have fun with it.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

How do you expect anyone to give an opinion with the blurry photos attached.
    From your first set of photos what you have is a stained coin that is considered damage.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Suggest that you soak it in acetone to remove that gunk, rinse it well, carefully pat it dry with a clean cloth, and then spend it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 10c closer to being able to buy some deck stain.
    Congrats!

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a dirty dime.

It’s worth 10 cents..

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a damaged dime, nothing more.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the nickel clad layer detached over a third of the obverse? If so, a cool error.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 1:32PM

Yes, I have seen this before.

• Options

I’m going to take it somewhere over the weekend so somebody can look at it in person and I’ll post what they say.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 2:43PM

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 2:17PM

Can we run the fingerprints and cross check the ID with Mrs Heather Ban Hammer?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

Already did. Apparently he's from Kansas.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an old beat up dime.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought I saw something in the second and third images. I could not make out the first. Take it to your nearest coin shop or pawn shop and don't tell them you want to sell it. They may try to steal it away for face value.
    Just ask for a fair appraisal. Whatever they offer just tell them you want to think about it.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options

I’m definitely no expert in fact I know nothing about coins but I think it’s been altered by someone. Has anyone ever heard of many images being placed on a coin somehow?

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭

If it was altered by someone, then it would be classed as damage and only worth face value.
    Images placed on a coin is also considered altering and also adds no value.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wearealldust said:
    I’m definitely no expert in fact I know nothing about coins but I think it’s been altered by someone. Has anyone ever heard of many images being placed on a coin somehow?

>
    I can definitely agree with that!👍

• Options

@Greenstang said:
    If it was altered by someone, then it would be classed as damage and only worth face value.

I figured it wouldn’t be worth much but it is still an interesting piece nonetheless.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wearealldust said:

@Greenstang said:

I figured it wouldn’t be worth much but it is still an interesting piece nonetheless.

It is worth 10 cents and is not at all interesting.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 5:59PM

Just a dime that’s has been toned or polluted with some other substance. It’s called surface damage. I also see some serious rim damage. With that said unfortunately your dime is worth it’s face value. Never be afraid to come here to ask questions. We all started somewhere 😊
    Also, welcome to the forum,
    Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

your camera autofocus would work better if coin was on a white piece of paper, anything but wood grains

• Options

@Wearealldust said:

Yes, there's a guy on the forum that bought a whole collection of these. You should check out the thread.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're brutal; funny, but brutal!
    :)

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found two cents like that in a Coinstar reject slot as a treated quarter today

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Suggest that you soak it in acetone to remove that gunk, rinse it well, carefully pat it dry with a clean cloth, and then spend it.

I would suggest not doing that, simply because you'd use more than 10 cents worth of acetone in the process. All for little benefit, as it's my experience that acetone rarely does anything to such staining.

The coin also seems to have been bent, or otherwise acquired rim damage.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sapyx said:

@PerryHall said:

I would suggest not doing that, simply because you'd use more than 10 cents worth of acetone in the process. All for little benefit, as it's my experience that acetone rarely does anything to such staining.

I thought it was obvious that I was joking. :#

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:

I found two cents like that in a Coinstar reject slot as a treated quarter today

A nice haul from the local parking lot 😎

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 12, 2024 3:09AM

@johnny9434 said:
    …local parking lot.

Fender washers aren’t as easy to find as they were—lots of mini USB plugs. Keep looking.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@yspsales said:

Already did. Apparently he's from Kansas.

No one got it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file