Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have a CAC sticker "reject" cross at CACG?

ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 9, 2024 1:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I apologize if I missed any thread on this, but this has been a burning question in my mind. I'm sure it has been tried by now....

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.

Comments

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not likely to happen.
    I think they call it Legacy grading.
    I don't really follow the whole cac, cacg thing as I am a pcgs fan. I have picked up bits and pieces.
    Someone might correct me.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does CACG have access to the CAC database to see if CAC already rejected the coin? If so, you would have to crack it out and send it to CACG as a raw coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've heard of it.

I've heard of them upgrading as well.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2024 4:20PM

I had a coin sticker last week that previously failed. It was regraded at PCGS in between, so the cert numbers were different although the grade didn’t change. This isn’t the same situation you asked about, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps after spending the money on Restoration. No guarantees that it would work, however.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2024 11:12PM

I would think many coins that didn’t merit a CAC sticker may have already been crossed to CACG, but at a lower grade, if the only reason for failure was not being solid for the grade in the TPG holder, or even over graded!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Does CACG have access to the CAC database to see if CAC already rejected the coin? If so, you would have to crack it out and send it to CACG as a raw coin.

Good point. I would assume they share that database to help ensure integrity. A crack-out or new cert number may be the only way to cross at grade.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

They do share data, at least for coins that stickered. I submitted a number of Legacy NGC coins and the coins were identified by entering the cert. Even the value was filled in. Interestingly, a 3 cent silver had been mis-entered by CAC as a 3 cent nickel, which slowed things down. I may send in some CAC no-pass coins to see what happens. I imagine they have those recorded as well. (I’ll stipulate minimum grades.)

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Proofmorgan said:

@PerryHall said:

Good point. I would assume they share that database to help ensure integrity. A crack-out or new cert number may be the only way to cross at grade.

They do share a database, but there are cases where the CACG graders can overrule the decision on a previously rejected coin if they felt CAC was too harsh. That said, crack out or new cert is probably the way to go if your coin failed before.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the OP question, yes, it has happened. On the rare occasion that it happens, JA normally makes an offer to buy the coin outright, or compensate the difference of the CAC spread for the issue. Both instances I’ve heard of, the submitter was very satisfied with the outcome.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cracking out and submitting raw is more risk than I would take, would much rather try to cross with a minimum grade. Too many stories about details grades and severe downgrades. Not just the dough but the hassle. But then I’m just a hobbyist.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 10:57PM

I had one do that. What did it probably was that it was graded 66+ and stickered and I put 66+ as the minimum grade. The plus might have been the deal breaker. My understanding is that they would honor the 66 but not necessarily the plus.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file