Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is This 1967 Roosevelt Dime an Error Coin?

Hello, I’m having trouble identifying if this coin is a double die or similar error coin. Any help with the identification and valuation would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PapaLegacy said:
    Hello, I’m having trouble identifying if this coin is a double die or similar error coin.

Why do you think that is?

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Variety Vista will have it listed if it exists

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 853 ✭✭✭✭

First, a Doubled Die is a variety, not an error.
    Your photos are really too small to see any detail. Please crop your photos
    and show us where you think there is Doubling.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shoot the coin so it's most of the frame and crop it - that way we can see it.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    PapaLegacyPapaLegacy Posts: 8
    edited April 10, 2024 5:18PM

Here are updated photos. It’s the best I can do at the moment given my camera. I hope this helps.

@IkesT said:

@PapaLegacy said:
    Hello, I’m having trouble identifying if this coin is a double die or similar error coin.

I have no clue. I’m not knowledgeable in coins. I googled a 1967 dime and some similar to mine are selling for $500-1000+

The “JS” and “God We Trust” look extra bold, so I was thinking that is a Doubled Die, but I’m not familiar with any of these details regarding errors/varieties.

• Options

@PapaLegacy said:
    Here are updated photos. It’s the best I can do at the moment given my camera. I hope this helps.

@IkesT said:

@PapaLegacy said:

I have no clue. I’m not knowledgeable in coins. I googled a 1967 dime and some similar to mine are selling for $500-1000+

The “JS” and “God We Trust” look extra bold, so I was thinking that is a Doubled Die, but I’m not familiar with any of these details regarding errors/varieties.

No. It's not a doubled die and not an error - just a regular dime worth 10 cents.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 5:42PM

http://www.varietyvista.com/07 Roosevelt Dimes/DDO Detail Files/1967PDDO001.htm

This is the only Doubled Die Obverse listed for 1967

There are no Doubled Die Reverse for 1967

There are only two others known to exist, so if it is a match you might have hit something nice.

Still not clear to me based on your photos, but you should be able to use the images associated with the link to narrow it down.

Makes me miss dimeman

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 5:55PM

@PapaLegacy said:

Most likely $500-1000+ are asking prices, not actual sales.
    There are many people on ebay who think they found something rare and ask big money for it, but it never sells....

2.2 billion 1967 dimes were made, and many are still around today. It's a very common coin.
    The chance of finding something rare in pocket change is extremely low.
    The only people making money off this concept of "rare pocket change" are the people with youtube videos which promote the concept, and a few people who sell books.

But I give you credit for knowing your limitations and asking nicely with good photos.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@PapaLegacy said:

Most likely $500-1000+ are asking prices, not actual sales.
    There are many people on ebay who think they found something rare and ask big money for it, but it never sells....

2.2 billion 1967 dimes were made, and many are still around today. It's a very common coin.
    The chance of finding something rare in pocket change is extremely low.
    The only people making money off this concept of "rare pocket change" are the people with youtube videos which promote the concept, and a few people who sell books.

But I give you credit for knowing your limitations and asking nicely with good photos.

And the only people that would have a decent chance of finding a 1967 doubled die dime variety, for example, are those that a) have expertise in identifying doubled dies, and b) are searching through hundreds to thousands of 1967 dimes in order to find a single example of the variety.

• Options

Thank you everyone for your expertise.

@IkesT said:

@PapaLegacy said:

@IkesT said:

@PapaLegacy said:

No. It's not a doubled die and not an error - just a regular dime worth 10 cents.

I appreciate the strait forward response.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file