Home Metal Detecting
Options

What machine are you swinging?

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve got the Manticore here in SW Michigan. Usually with the 11in coil but just got the new 8in and 15in coils. Previously was on the Equinox 800 which was also great.

What about you?

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 9, 2024 7:46AM

Minelab Etracs are my primary detectors for silver coins. I own several of them. I also use a Minelab Equinox 600 to find masked coins and have a Minelab Vanquish 540 that offers similar performance to the Equinox but with better ergonomics.

I recently acquired a Minelab Manticore, but am not sure that it is going to be staying with me permanently. I also bought a Vanquish 340 recently, just to see what a cheap knock around machine could do. I also have a Fisher CZ3D and an AKA Signum gathering dust in the corner. Almost forgot, I have an Equinox 800 laying around that needs the coil cable repaired.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bayard1908 said:
    Minelab Etracs are my primary detectors for silver coins. I own several of them. I also use a Minelab Equinox 600 to find masked coins and have a Minelab Vanquish 540 that offers similar performance to the Equinox but with better ergonomics.

I recently acquired a Minelab Manticore, but am not sure that it is going to be staying with me permanently. I also bought a Vanquish 340 recently, just to see what a cheap knock around machine could do. I also have a Fisher CZ3D and an AKA Signum gathering dust in the corner. Almost forgot, I have an Equinox 800 laying around that needs the coil cable repaired.

Thats a fleet!

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Thats a fleet!

What I have is nothing compared to what some of the guys who have been in the hobby for many decades have. I've known guys who owned dozens of detectors.

Personally, I think it's better to own a handful of detectors and develop a high level of skill with them. I have used Etracs for thousands of hours, and would like to think that I have a mastery of them. I have used my Equinox 600 for hundreds of hours and have enough experience to usually tell the difference between a masked coin and iron. Although I have found silver coins with several of my other detectors, I don't have the same level of confidence in using them.

• Options
    UphillUphill Posts: 360 ✭✭

Equinox 600 also in SW Michigan.

Jamie

Looking for Charlie (Charley) Maxwell cards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whites here still. I'm going over to a store that has that and others. I need a new one

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭

AT Pro, Whites V3i, Simplex+

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nox-8 is my go-to… which means the Nox-9 is just sits idle in the closet.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vanquish 440 only. Works great for my purposes.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

Great machines all!

I've owned probably a dozen or more, but have settled on these,,,,, for now. There are still many that I've yet to try.

Whites MXT with 4 coils - this is my primary machine,,,,,, the little Eclipse 5.3 concentric coil stays on it
    Teknetics T2 with 4 coils - Usually has the NEL Sharpshooter on it
    Tesoro Compadre - for cherry picking shallow coins and chain link fence work,, 7" white concentric coil
    Minelab Equinox 600 - really only use for the beach and areas where there is no EMI.

Now I just need to make more time to swing them.

• Options

Mostly use the CTX still, but have had fun with the Manticore recently.

• Options

GTA 500

• Options

@miles_long said:
    GTA 500

It's way past time for an upgrade. Sell that antique green machine for whatever you can get and buy yourself a Minelab Vanquish or Equinox. Your finds will improve, and you'll wish you had upgraded earlier.