Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wild Toning Captured By GC (Phil) On A Very Cool First Year of Issue USPI Proof Coin With A Footnote

wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 8, 2024 11:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here is a Justhavingfun Estate coin being auctioned off by GC and closing this coming Sunday. I am a huge fan of (darker) toning like this and GC (Phil) did an incredible job of capturing the true image of the coin in the holder. But, a footnote (and the reason I decided to post this coin ahead of its auction). The Coinfacts image of this particular coin is an entirely different coin. The Coinfacts image on this GC coin (GC Item ID: 1562389) is from the pop 1/0 PR66 CAMEO specimen. That cameo image then appears on two entirely different PCGS coins and PCGS coin serial numbers showing on Coinfacts (namely # 84299324 and # 83583573). The correct serial number for the pop 1/0 PR66 CAMEO coin is # 84299324. Coin Serial # 83583573 is the PCGS coin shown in the slab in the GC auction and perfectly captured by Phil’s picture below. Hopefully, PCGS can now remove the mistaken (duplicate) picture showing for coin serial # 83583573.

https://photos.greatcollections.com/0/1562389-3.jpg

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing picture and assume it looks like the coin.

This is the first I remember hearing justhavingfun had died. I really admired the sets you helped him build as I first started liking Jefferson nickels as well.

• Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

That's a stunning example!

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2024 12:24PM

Davewesen: It has been (incredibly) nearly 5 1/2 years now since the passing of JHF. Literally, a day doesn’t go by without something happening that draws JHF (or a memory of JHF) into the conversation. He was a solid 20-25 years ahead of his time on discovering the bi-national USPI (United States /Philippine) coin series. Through around (10) major Heritage auctions now as well as many Stacks (and even Teletrade) auctions (and now some GC auctions as well), collectors have put into their USPI collections hundreds, if not thousand(s), of the great USPI/Philippine coins JHF was able to uncover on his myriad journeys to the Philippines!

I was there in the 2012-2014 time period when JHF gave so many USPi coins (and US coins too) to PCGS to grade at the Hong Kong show (and early too before the show even started) that PCGS had to literally return back to JHF hundreds of coins ungraded at the end of the show as they simply couldn’t keep up with his personal volumes of submissions. I had the task of writing up every single submission coin on the Invoices and being responsible to confirm every such coin was returned before PCGS pulled out of town. Those were the days of catching every single sunrise in Hong Kong as the nights turned into days!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2024 1:29PM

Phil can capture toning better than anyone in the business. I have an MS66 PL that does look great in hand but the image is incredible.
    I've posted this coin several times. It's one of the coins I would rather go hungry then sell. I mean that too. I have about 10 I feel that way about.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file