Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1944-S Lincoln Type 3 Wheat Is this a DDO, None listed at PCGS or NGC

My dad passed in 87, and I started going through all of his coins one by one. Today I found this 1944-S Lincoln cent and I assigned it an optimistic VF-30. On the obverse there appears to be defined doubling in the words "IN GOD". Regardless of the angle viewed it remains the same. Although there could be doubling in Liberty, I say the letering is to deformed for me to say for certain. Currently there are no recognized 1944-S DDO Wheat cents. I suspect this could just be a die clash or planchet movement upon pressing, but I don't see any signs of those occurrence's. I also realize that collectors find variants which graders will not recognize. So be it. I'm open to constructive input.
Understand I'm very objective when dealing with the unknow. I do rely on facts in evidence and not wishing something to be what it is not.
Interestingly, a week ago I was reviewing a Mercury dime which I though had an inverted "S" mint mark. I put it up on the the big monitor, and before I could explain to my wife what I thought I was seeing, she looked at it and blurted out "That S is upside down". I graded it as such and placed in a 2.5" slip.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2024 8:39PM

No; common worthless strike/machine doubling. Read about it at this link.

https://error-ref.com/machine-doubling/

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 902 ✭✭✭✭

That is worthless Machine Doubling, not Die Doubling.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are eleven (11) double die obverses for 1944 San Francisco cents listed here ->

varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/DDO%201944-S.htm

• Options
    RSBRSB Posts: 13

@davewesen said:
    There are eleven (11) double die obverses for 1944 San Francisco cents listed here ->

varietyvista.com/01a%20LC%20Doubled%20Dies%20Vol%201/DDO%201944-S.htm

Yes< I reviewed this list and did not find a match.

Thank you,

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

it looks like machine or ejection doubling from your pics

• Options

That's everyone,

I'm searching through tons of my dad's coin Finding many things though most are just normal. All my dad ever had was bad eyes and cheap loupe. I'm not sure my cheap microscope is much better.

I did find a DDR walking liberty and confirmed and graded by PCGS. I had unopened rolls of Franklins, Eisenhower's and Bi-Centennial Denver's.

I had one franklin graded that had true doubling along the top right image of the Yoke. Of course PCGS didn't accept my finding. It is now encapsulated and and graded.

I did find 4 1969 No FG cents from one roll. 3 brown, but one is a nice Red light brown combo. Almost Red. I will be searching the Bi-Centennial D's for the elusive DDO. I could just imaging and hope I have an unopened roll full of DDO bi-centennials. How cool would that be.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RSB
    Welcome to the boards. Have fun going through the collection.
    As others have said it looks to be machine doubling. But nice to see that you noticed it
    Keep looking you never know what you might discover.

Martin

• Options

Thank you for the kind words Martin. I'll Post a rare find soon. A "Junk Box" Auction Purchase with a rare Silver Coronation Medal.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome to the boards.

As already answered, this is considered mechanical doubling and it also goes by various other names. It is not a doubled die. I like your approach to the collection and your willingness to accept evidence or data. You sound like a scientist. The image below may help you in the future. I did not produce it, but the artist attribution is on the image.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    Howdy and welcome to the boards.

As already answered, this is considered mechanical doubling and it also goes by various other names. It is not a doubled die. I like your approach to the collection and your willingness to accept evidence or data. You sound like a scientist. The image below may help you in the future. I did not produce it, but the artist attribution is on the image.

Thanks for the compliment Tom,

I operate by the practice of "Facts in Evidence". A duck is a duck and no matter how hard, or how much you look; It will never be a swan. Yes, I have a high mechanical aptitude and a good understanding of the process for die making stamping. A former ASE certified automotive technician with over 20 years managing metal forming, shaping and punching operations.

I'm now 2+ years into this new hobby and I am constantly researching to increase my knowledge base.
    I am no where close to an expert. I'm still in the beginner novice stages. I enjoy grading my coins, and to date my submissions have all been +- 2 grades from my assigned grades. I did have one Morgan that got hit with the "Cleaned" code, but was not noticeable to me. My dad had but 2 Morgan's and 2 Peace dollars. I had them
    graded for as family keepsakes so the final resulting grades were of little concern to me.

As a young kid my dad had subscription's to old prospecting magazines and was always dreaming of the lost Dutchman's gold. At one point he bought a metal detector, but where we lived he few places to use it. Wish I still had it, it was an 80's vintage White, but I know it was top of the line. I also remember it was heavy!

At worse I'll become a nuisance for posting pictures of coins that have odd findings which I cannot explain. When I make these post I will provide plenty of photos, the best that I capture with my cheap $75 microscope, and will provide a clear and concise description of the finding.

And as annoying as this may be to others, each constructive comment is an opportunity for another to pass on knowledge to improve my knowledge base.

Thanks again for the kind words.

PS. I can also be a wee bit long winded. LOL!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file