Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do I image coins

I have a nikkon Z 30 but it seems to be worse than my phone. Can someone help.

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

Search coin photography.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Helps to have a copy stand. And lighting is key.

Many threads on this topic if you search

• Options

I just got this photo what does everyone think/ what do I need to change.

• Options

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

You start by not running a fake grading and stickering service. :#

• Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 9:57AM

Looks like too much light and by cropping down, blowing up you can see the image looks like it’s wavy and out of focus. There are many threads talking about photography here (just use the search bar for “coin photography.”). The truth is, it’s much easier to take quick pictures now with cell phone camera technology, but trial and error is a needed factor. I took hundreds of pictures before being able to simply take images now. I would suggest keep trying, take many with different settings/lightings/angle and then take notes what is working, what is not and continue to experiment. Like grading and selling coins, it’s not a single answer to succeed, it is many days, weeks, (even months, years) of trial and error and lots of work to get to the level needed in coins, photography will come quicker (hopefully)

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    NewEnglandRaritiesNewEnglandRarities Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭✭

And with a higher level camera, I found a macro lens was also a necessary addition, however I can take similar pictures with my iPhone now (similar meaning good enough to keep for myself or send out to a client to take a quick overview). Without the proper setup, you will struggle with that camera and photos without a few additional items needed to get good photos. It’s not just the equipment needed, it’s understanding how to use it! Again, lots of help right here on the forum in hundreds of threads on the topic.

New England Rarities...Dealer In Colonial Coinage and Americana
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:
    You start by not running a fake grading and stickering service. :#

Good advice.

• Options

@DCW said:
    I can't help but wonder if this is the prelude to something...

United States Bullion Photography Service? :D

You hit the nail on the head.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Research YT.

Alot of different ways.

Phone can work but I prefer copystand.

White construction paper with white foam board should work with just about anything to start

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

Ok, that's funny. :p

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 11:57AM

I do not attack you. This is sincere. The avatar is a noose and the username is an anchor. Changing those are two small steps toward credibilty, yet you twist between them getting piked when you have a question.
    It won’t solve the problem, but you might get less of what you don’t want to hear.
    You don’t have to change the business name.

I use an app—Macro Mode—on a iPad. The height of a tissue box turned on its side over the coin is the result of experimenting and is perfect for the focus range of the app. I play with lights from all angles. If you want professional results the Nikon has more potential. You only get hints at it here, photography takes years, macro requires lenses. The iPhone editing apps make the process a breeze. If you want the names of the other apps let me know when you’re satisfied with the results of your iOS camara.

You can see photos from that process in the UNO thread.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@DCW said:

Funny, but true. The OP already admitted that he is planning his own alternative to TrueView. It was on the thread promoting his fake grading service that has since been poofed and deleted.

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try and get hold of a copy of the book Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman. Either volume 1 or volume 2

Mr_Spud

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

@IkesT said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@DCW said:

Funny, but true. The OP already admitted that he is planning his own alternative to TrueView. It was on the thread promoting his fake grading service that has since been poofed and deleted.

So apparently it's full speed ahead with the grading service. :/

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

i got an auction catalog in a heavy black envelope. it's great if you prefer (few do) black backgrounds. go hunting for black matte paper items. look around for pure white matte items like poster board.

one thing that's wrong with your shot is the white balance is off. your white ain't white.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I have a large gray card, that I sometimes use as background on my copy stand.

Makes white balance process simple.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited April 5, 2024 5:15PM

DIY product photography
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoKMUoiD5us

Axial Illumination: Lighting "through the lens" is the end goal.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xgb0RR41shM

First vid is easy setup for probably $20

Similar to what I have. Probably $2000ish minimum set up for the camera, lens, copy stand. Axial lighting is not that complicated and that is scratching the surface. You can expand view on computer screen real time etc...

Goes back to learning the basics... this time of photography.

Go to Adorama and search for Kaiser copy stand. Flavors of all type.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Practice, proper equipment and more knowledge than can be simply convaid in a simple response.
    If your sincere you'll spend some money to buy equipme.t and you'll be on your way.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file