Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1891 O Mint Mark Morgan Silver Dollar

Hello! I was wondering if any of you could help me? my siblings and I just inherited coin collection from my grandparents and we split it amongst all five of us. the one coin that I received is an 1891 O Mint Mark Morgan silver dollar. This collection was just change that my grandpa had saved over the years or coins that they had saved for us. They were never graded or anything like that and I know that what I've read so far is that this coin can be faked or something? I guess I'm just wondering what I have here? if you could help me I'd appreciate that so much thank you for your time.
Email lrhanneken@gmail.com

Comments

• Options

ok thank you for your time.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grandpa had a modern counterfeit in his collection?

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Grandpa had a modern counterfeit in his collection?

Same thing I was wondering. How old was this grandpa?

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s grandpa again causing all kinds of trouble for his unknowing grandson.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice text which may have been translated to English, sometimes a tell for me.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

excuse me? I am a real person and i am a girl. my name is lindsay. my grandpa past away in 1995. i lost my grandma this past summer. (which is when we got our inheritance) along with the coins there were war bonds . the morgan was the only one i had a question about. i googled how to learn more about it, and google brought me to you fine people who were supposed to be helpful. ... people are horrible.
    thanks for your time.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're a genuine person, you should understand that it seems incredible to us that a recent chinese counterfeit would show up in a collection that grandpa had in 1995.

Plus, you should understand that someone comes here every week with counterfeit coins from "grandpa's" collection.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

I apologize to you if your story is legitimate, which I have no way of confirming it isn't.

My response, and I would guess the responses from most others, was based upon what we typically get asked on these forums. Oftentimes folks will register an account and then ask one of two questions with sometimes rather obvious answers. One type of question is to take typical pocket change or damaged coins and show them with multiple, high magnification shots while the new user either contends the pieces are valuable error coins or asks if they are such. Almost universally the pieces are worth only face value and then often the new user proceeds to argue with most folks.

The other type of question that is asked a fair bit also comes from newly registered user accounts and will show images of what appear to be modern counterfeit coins. Obviously, counterfeits have been around for a long time, but many modern pieces have a certain "feel" to them in their images. If I recall correctly, many of these new accounts will state that the coin came in an inheritance or that someone gave it to them as a gift and there are times that the new account will argue that they aren't counterfeits. As an aside, both types of new user accounts often use some sort of default "face" avatar similar to what you chose, though I don't know how many images are available to new accounts.

When I read your post I noticed you were a new user account that asked about a coin that "felt" like a modern counterfeit with a backstory that you inherited it after it was possibly received in change. To me, and to others, that appeared suspicious. Again, I apologize to you if your questions are legitimate and offer you my condolences on the passing of your grandparents.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file