Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Inherited LP1,2,3 and 4

How do I go about finding someone to purchase a collection of Lincoln Pennie’s I have inherited from my father? I have close to 100 boxes including all 4 types in the unopened boxes?

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mainastasia said:
    How do I go about finding someone to purchase a collection of Lincoln Pennie’s I have inherited from my father? I have close to 100 boxes including all 4 types in the unopened boxes?

Find a local coin shop or two and ask them for purchase offers. Take the highest one.

You could also post them on the Buy, Sell, Trade forum here, but that can be challenging if you don't have knowledge of the coins and their values.

• Options

Yes - no knowledge so also wouldn’t know to take the highest one. It does appear that some are more desirable than others in the series. Still learning.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you talking about the 2009 Lincoln Bicentennial issues? They were hoarded in huge numbers and may not bring enough to cover the selling costs even if you find a buyer willing to pay a premium for them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found only a handful or two in circulation which confirms my suspicion that many were saved in rolls/boxes.

Incidentally, proper storage is key for these zinc cents. Unless you live in a very dry area, no garages, basements, etc.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a member selling some boxes of the LP3 and LP4 issues on the BST here on this forum, link below.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102113/fsho-revised-mint-sealed-p-d-rolls-of-professional-life-lp3-and-presidency-lp4-lincoln-cents#latest

He is asking $18 per box shipped and it doesn't look like he has had any sell at that price so far. You could try and look at ebay, be sure to search by sold/completed listing only, and see if/what these are selling for there.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm. I assumed the OP had $50 bank boxes but could well be the mint rolls as above.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,692 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was the LP2 the one with the large die crack?

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mainastasia said:
    Yes - no knowledge so also wouldn’t know to take the highest one. It does appear that some are more desirable than others in the series. Still learning.

It's easy to take the highest one. If someone offers $10 and someone else offers $12, take the $12 as it is the higher one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file