Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FB Marketplace & FB coin Groups

mikee999mikee999 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 26, 2024 5:36AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Been quite successful in selling junk silver in FB Marketplace, & collectible coins in FB coin groups. In fact I just sold a PCGS MS62 1921 Walker to a dealer.

Anyone else doing the same?

Comments

• Options

I can’t believe that there’s no one here other than myself that’s wheeling and dealing on FB.

Come on speak up peeps.

+1

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2024 5:55AM

@mikee999 said:
    I can’t believe that there’s no one here other than myself that’s wheeling and dealing on FB.

Come on speak up peeps.

+1

That is definitely not the case. Perhaps if your thread’s title was phrased as a question, you would find the answers you are seeking.

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've puttered on FB. It has one-tenth (one-hundredth?) the activity of eBay with twice the scams.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I've puttered on FB. It has one-tenth (one-hundredth?) the activity of eBay with twice the scams.

Duh, 1,000th or more….

Beep!!

I wasn’t asking for that

+1

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 6:15AM

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Duh, 1,000th or more….

Beep!!

I wasn’t asking for that

+1

um. You were asking who has bought and sold on FB. I have. I shared my observations, as you requested. So, in fact, you were asking for that.

+1

• Options

+2

• Options

+3

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll stay with what I know (ty)

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 6:23AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Duh, 1,000th or more….

Beep!!

I wasn’t asking for that

+1

um. You were asking who has bought and sold on FB. I have. I shared my observations, as you requested. So, if act, you were asking for that.

+1

Perhaps, maybe, my guess is that w/what you’re comfortably doing, is you didn’t make enough to have a $15K tax refund.

Don’t go bonkers on me.

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    I'll stay with what I know (ty)

Happy in your comfort zone, I see.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been recently participating in one of the gold groups. It is moderated by known people (including from this forum), and I have had success buying (see below) and selling. The activity level is much higher than on the our BST, which is (IMO) moribund and has declined significantly in terms of activity and quality of numismatic activity over the years.

• Options

@RYK said:
    I have been recently participating in one of the gold groups. It is moderated by known people (including from this forum), and I have had success buying (see below) and selling. The activity level is much higher than on the our BST, which is (IMO) moribund and has declined significantly in terms of activity and quality of numismatic activity over the years.

Thanks for the good analysis.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 6:45AM

I’ve sold many more coins on FB coin groups than I’ll ever see on BST (posted or sold).

Examples:

I had a bunch of PCGS MS65 1903-O Morgans & they all sold except for the one I’m keeping.

I sold an 1893-CC double gold coin (AU something) to a dealer. I shipped it in a white envelope w/tracking & the dealer admonished me on it.

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought my AU53 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter on the CAC group.

• Options

@willy said:

I tried selling my AU55 1916 w/no luck. Maybe I was asking too much for it. It wasn’t CAC’d.

• Options

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Duh, 1,000th or more….

Beep!!

I wasn’t asking for that

+1

um. You were asking who has bought and sold on FB. I have. I shared my observations, as you requested. So, if act, you were asking for that.

+1

Perhaps, maybe, my guess is that w/what you’re comfortably doing, is you didn’t make enough to have a $15K tax refund.

Don’t go bonkers on me.

lmao

The more I make, the SMALLER the refund.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've bought more than I've sold on FB groups. It's a total crap shoot whether or not something you're selling is seen by someone who's looking. Likewise, if you see something and think you're going to go back and take a look later, you'd better leave a reminder comment for yourself or you may never find it again.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Duh, 1,000th or more….

Beep!!

I wasn’t asking for that

+1

+1

Don’t go bonkers on me.

lmao

I’ll forward this to my IRS agent buddies.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    I've bought more than I've sold on FB groups. It's a total crap shoot whether or not something you're selling is seen by someone who's looking. Likewise, if you see something and think you're going to go back and take a look later, you'd better leave a reminder comment for yourself or you may never find it again.

I usually take a camera shot of the post.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was on a friend's FB account once and looked at some coins. Got to talking to some people about buying and received some offers to sell.
    Most buyers wanted me to send them my silver before payment.
    I get the idea but Not going to happen.
    Stick with what works.
    If you are on FB and in a vetted group, that may be different.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:
    I’ve sold many more coins on FB coin groups than I’ll ever see on BST (posted or sold).

Examples:

I had a bunch of PCGS MS65 1903-O Morgans & they all sold except for the one I’m keeping.

I sold an 1893-CC double gold coin (AU something) to a dealer. I shipped it in a white envelope w/tracking & the dealer admonished me on it.

admonished
    I bet the dealer probably called you a few names too.
    CC type coins require bubble wrap :D

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Duh, 1,000th or more….

Beep!!

I wasn’t asking for that

+1

+1

Don’t go bonkers on me.

lmao

Good. That's the way it's supposed to work. The more you make, the more you pay not get back.

You seem to have "refund" confused with "taxes ".

I expect & will get zero. Just a citizen gesture.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@mikee999 said:

Examples:

admonished

He never bought anything from me since.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:

@willy said:

I tried selling my AU55 1916 w/no luck. Maybe I was asking too much for it. It wasn’t CAC’d.

If you try to sell a non-CAC coin in the CAC group, it’s not going to sell and often will be removed by the admins if they catch it. ;)

• Options

@Project Numismatics said:

@mikee999 said:

@willy said:

If you try to sell a non-CAC coin in the CAC group, it’s not going to sell and often will be removed by the admins if they catch it. ;)

It wasn’t in the cac group.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@mikee999 said:

Examples:

admonished

I used an 8x11 sheet of paper to wrap the holder.

The USPS has yet to lose any of the coins I shipped. Delays yes but nothing lost.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:

@rte592 said:

@mikee999 said:

Examples:

admonished

The USPS has yet to lose any of the coins I shipped. Delays yes but nothing lost.

From what you have written I am not certain if the coin was in a certified holder, a snap together plastic holder or some sort of 2x2. However, when you ship a coin in a standard envelope then the envelope may go through machine sorting and the coin, holder or both can get damaged in transit. It appears that didn't happen in your case, but it is a distinct possibility and folks don't like to receive packages with damaged goods.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a guy... he takes all my sports cards.

He gets a deal and I am saved from hours of listing cards and months of waiting to maximize the sales.

Got a stack to grade, but basically allows me to rid myself of the clutter and focus on coins.

My guy hooked me up with a sweet food processor and a robot vacum cleaner.

My limited use of FB marketplace has been positive.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@mikee999 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Duh, 1,000th or more….

Beep!!

I wasn’t asking for that

+1

+1

Don’t go bonkers on me.

lmao

Good. That's the way it's supposed to work. The more you make, the more you pay not get back.

You seem to have "refund" confused with "taxes ".

confused about everything else to

• Options

@mikee999 said:
    Been quite successful in selling junk silver in FB Marketplace, & collectible coins in FB coin groups. In fact I just sold a PCGS MS62 1921 Walker to a dealer.

If someone was interested, what are the best groups to consider joining?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d_wilk said:

@mikee999 said:

If someone was interested, what are the best groups to consider joining?

Depends on what you like, I recently joined a few FB groups not so much to buy or sell but simply to see what is happening in terms of numismatics on that platform. A couple of the groups are very much together and have some good people and there are a fair amount of selling/buying in those groups. Another is a complete joke, misinformation is rampant and it seems that most in the group are clueless people who are only interested in finding a unicorn, and think they do almost everyday.

The only two I would recommend is the Pre33 Goldbugs, well run lots of nice coins, the second is the CAC/CACG coins group which is also well run with what seems like solid members.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instagram is easier and much less scammers.

• Options
    mattnissmattniss Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

+1 for Pre-33 Goldbugs and CAC / CACG groups -- both well moderated, have legit sellers and offer some really nice coins.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@mikee999 said:

@rte592 said:

@mikee999 said:

Examples:

admonished

From what you have written I am not certain if the coin was in a certified holder, a snap together plastic holder or some sort of 2x2. However, when you ship a coin in a standard envelope then the envelope may go through machine sorting and the coin, holder or both can get damaged in transit. It appears that didn't happen in your case, but it is a distinct possibility and folks don't like to receive packages with damaged goods.

Here are two instances. EF45 CAC holder crushed in the mail and then regraded EF40 CAC.

Here the coin's rim partially cut through the plastic TPG holder like a cookie cutter. Coin returned.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file