edited February 16, 2024 10:45AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Please recommend a coin or two to buy:

Either silver or gold in AU58-AU 58+ with green or gd bean

No commemorative coins

Tax refund ~15K

Comments

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭

How about a nice shiny Lincoln cent with a massive parking lot error?

Seriously though, get whatever speaks to you, and that you believe to be a fair deal.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no idea what you are interested in but if it were me, I'd buy a few nice MS64 or MS65 double eagles. Please let us know what you decide and good luck.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 125 ✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 11:45AM

S&P index fund, if that is 100% of your refund and/or a significant amount for you. If not, I like $5 gold indians

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    What's a tax refund? :o

It’s $$ given to tax payers from the generosity of Uncle Biden.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

I was going to ask the same thing. Haven't seen one of those since the late 1990's
    Disclaimer: I have no issues with the taxes I currently pay, I feel the rate is more than fair. Surprised that people are receiving refunds though, especially $15K ones. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Oh and sorry to the OP, I'd certainly stick with the Au with your gift. Avoid the gutter metal and don't waste your time getting caught up with silly little stickers. Research beanie babies and 1600's tulip bulb mania to learn where that all ends. RGDS!!!

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:
    ^ First confirmed case of C.D.S.

CAC
    Derangement
    Syndrome

Sticker on. LOL.

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

CAC
    Derangement
    Syndrome

Where's your partner? The other cacs shill??? Oh there he is as expected just like clockwork right behind you. Hmmm someone call the message cops. Looks like we may have another ALT.

P.S. Get a life. THKS!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 7:59PM

Wait a minute, Let me ask again............Did you say: 15k or $15.000.00 or Fifteen Thousand Dollars refund?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah @DeplorableDan , get a life!

You know, insulting other peoples' coins and collections and being pathologically obsessed with CAC.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 7:53PM

@lermish said:

You know, insulting other peoples' coins and collections and being pathologically obsessed with CAC.

I am thinking DD cracked a joke?

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

@DeplorableDan said:

CAC
    Derangement
    Syndrome

Where's your partner? The other cacs shill??? Oh there he is as expected just like clockwork right behind you. Hmmm someone call the message cops. Looks like we may have another ALT.

P.S. Get a life. THKS!

There’s no partner, shill or alt. Some of us just get tired of your apparent obsession with and persistent bashing of CAC. It’s to the point that you’re often the one who brings up the subject. Otherwise, you’re a good contributor to the forum, but sadly, it’s become a big “otherwise”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@lermish said:

Yeah! You tell em Detective dan.....errr sorry I mean Lieutenant skirmish. You two shills (ALTs) appear to be the ones obsessed with the cacs. Considering your 20K+ posts about it here on the PCGS MESSAGE BOARD. Should I come over to cacs and post/obsess 24/7 about PCGS?

• Options

@spacehayduke said:
    Why would you give the feds an extra $15K of your money to borrow for a few months to a year??????

My pay structure is very uneven. Half of my paychecks will have a minimal amount withheld and the other half will be over 50% (CA Resident). I've tried for 15 years, nothing to be done about it.

And yes of course Dan was joking, just teasing.

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@lermish said:

Yeah! You tell em Detective dan.....errr sorry I mean Lieutenant skirmish. You two shills (ALTs) appear to be the ones obsessed with the cacs. Considering your 20K+ posts about it here on the PCGS MESSAGE BOARD. Should I come over to cacs and post/obsess 24/7 about PCGS?

You bring it up every time. Not anyone else. You.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 8:17PM

@lermish said:

My pay structure is very uneven. Half of my paychecks will have a minimal amount withheld and the other half will be over 50% (CA Resident). I've tried for 15 years, nothing to be done about it.

And yes of course Dan was joking, just teasing.

Interesting. I had very uneven paychecks too before retirement, and even after all of the excess I thought I gave the feds, it all stayed with them after factoring in investments. So $15K xtra seems super high to give the feds but I guess it is possible.

In such a case, buy rare gold, preferably slabbed and better dates.......... Rare gold always keeps going up bc everyone wants to own it.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

For some of us, it’s hard to get the taxes right based on our companies and uneven pay. A buddy I work with who used to nail it and get almost nothing back (or have anything extra to pay) now has this job and is getting $22k back. Mine’s not quite that bad, but I don’t make as much and it’s still more than ever.
    At least it comes back to us, with some effort.
    I’m hoping to skim some of mine for a coin but it might all just go to family medical bills. Such is life.
    Whatever coin you get, make sure to post it!

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 6:11AM

It nice to get a refund. However it is better to keep the refund as low as possible. Next year I will have to deal with RMD from my IRA. Thus, I will have to adjust my with holding to insure I don't go broke every spring. 🤬

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get a CD paying 5%+ until you find what you really want

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't get nearly that much back but, with my refund and regular coin buying budget, I was able to splurge for these:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmm 58 CAC? How about a nice early date Capped Bust half!!

Side note, how does one get $15k in tax refunds?!?!

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 2:44PM

@jacrispies said:
    Hmmmm 58 CAC? How about a nice early date Capped Bust half!!

Side note, how does one get $15k in tax refunds?!?!

By massively overpaying EST tax deposits to
    1. Help Uncle Sam a bit and
    2. By doing so to lessen possible tax audits

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations! You gave an interest-free loan to Uncle Sam when you could have kept that 15K and put it to work for you.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would get some old gold.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

15K Tacks? Wow! I prefer Push Pins.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:
    Congratulations! You gave an interest-free loan to Uncle Sam when you could have kept that 15K and put it to work for you.

Agree but cheap “insurance” for a possible audit or inquiry from IRS. So far so good 40+ years of tax returns.

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t gotten a refund in years, I always owe.

• Options

But greatly regret in buying so few shares of NVDA

• Options

@BryceM said:

@mikee999 said:

@alaura22 said:

It’s $$ given to tax payers from the generosity of Uncle Biden.

Uh, no. It’s your own money that you overpaid during the year.

Duh…

+1 to my post count

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Oh and sorry to the OP, I'd certainly stick with the Au with your gift. Avoid the gutter metal and don't waste your time getting caught up with silly little stickers. Research beanie babies and 1600's tulip bulb mania to learn where that all ends. RGDS!!!

I looked them up and apparently, those manias lasted approximately 4 to 5 years. Do you know how long CAC coins have been selling in comparison?
    And please show up some statistics - any statistics - regarding the price history of CAC coins that gives any validity to your prediction. I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to back up your persistent CAC bashing with any actual facts.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ladder some CD's across the next 12 months.
    Better yet a bond fund which will probably do even better when Fed's start dropping rates

Spend the interest/returns

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@MFeld said:

@blitzdude said:

I looked them up and apparently, those manias lasted approximately 4 to 5 years. Do you know how long CAC coins have been selling in comparison?
    And please show up some statistics - any statistics - regarding the price history of CAC coins that gives any validity to your prediction. I won’t hold my breath waiting for you to back up your persistent CAC bashing with any actual facts.

Great response Mr “Feldini.”

I think no one could’ve said it better.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:
    Better yet a bond fund which will probably do even better when Fed's start dropping rates

The returns are nothing compared to the right equity stocks in this bull market.
    If you're satisfied with a 5%-6% gain then go for it.
    NVDA is up over 100% YTD just as an example, there are many more with like gains.
    JMO
    But this is a coin forum so..................

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@yspsales said:

The returns are nothing compared to the right equity stocks in this bull market.
    If you're satisfied with a 5%-6% gain then go for it.
    NVDA is up over 100% YTD just as an example, there are many more with like gains.
    JMO
    But this is a coin forum so..................

Agree 100%, 200%, 300% …. to infinity…..
    only if….I had a crystal ball or knew you then…. pm me your thoughts…on this subject if you don’t mind….

FYI I dumped 1,000 shs of aapl in the $190ss sold FB & NFLX….baad mistakes

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file