Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The PSA special for vintage currently going on is $14.99

per card for 1960 - 1979. But it takes 65 business days to get them back. Tell me, are they getting that many of these years it takes that long? I figure if myself and one of you, who know cards pretty well. could probably grade around 3,000 of these per week. so if we were the only ones doing it, we could grade almost 30,000 in the 65 day window. Are we to believe that's how many of these they are going to get? SOunds way to high to me, especially at $15 per card. In any given year, especially from 1972 - 1979, there would be almost no commons graded, and maybe 10 -15 cards per set worth wasting your time and money on for many of the years.

In the past you could these back in two weeks. now 10? Something isn't making sense. I know they have more than 1 group of graders for these cards.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience with recent past specials, the turnaround time has been much quicker than the estimated time. Either way, 14.99 is likely as low a price as we'll see.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    In my experience with recent past specials, the turnaround time has been much quicker than the estimated time. Either way, 14.99 is likely as low a price as we'll see.

I agree, it will never be lower. But 65 business days is like 13 weeks, that's just too long. Hard to believe they are getting that many 1960-1979 cards.

• Options

i did a1979 & older 65 day order (25$each /499 less value)
    Sent in 4 cards: 1916-20 unc big heads (handcut)
    Estimate complete 4/23
    Arrived 1/19
    Research ID 1/24
    Grading 1/25 +++ still there????

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

@olb31 said:

@grote15 said:

I agree, it will never be lower. But 65 business days is like 13 weeks, that's just too long. Hard to believe they are getting that many 1960-1979 cards.

Like I said, in my experience lately the submissions are completing sooner than the estimated time frame but even if it takes 13 weeks, so what? Maybe I'm more patient than most, but waiting for my cards is just part of the collector process. I really don't lose sleep over whether it takes 13 weeks or 8 weeks to get my cards back. There are higher service levels available if you really need the cards back quickly and are willing to pay extra.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I sent in 3 cards for a buddy for $40 each at the end of february. and they came back in about 15 total days, from sending to getting back. Moral of the story, it seems like they are discouraging the special unless you want to wait, like Grote does.

I personally don't really like having the cards sitting around in a warehouse or wherever for months at a time. I can't really make in $$$ or it doesn't make $$$ sense to pay $40 per card, unless i'm sending in rookie Nolan ryan's. Even sending in Yount and Murray rookies for $40 doesn't really make sense.

With prices coming way down on cards the last year and half, it really cuts down what you can send in, plus the wait... makes it tough.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭

Still in Assembly for over a month, maybe two. I lost track.

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

Exactly. Why?

• Options

@olb31 said:

@RonSportscards said:

Exactly. Why?

Wish I knew. Very frustrating.
    There were some oddballs, so maybe they didn't have the right inserts?
    Some were new entries that needed to be added to the database?
    Maybe they are correcting them to the PSA10s they deserve. :grin:
    Also there were several commons in there I have high hopes for.
    I let my membership lapse last month, but I'm going to sign up again this month for the special as I have a sub ready to go.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

The 65 days estimate isn't because they get so many subs for that special, it is because they are not letting the special cut in line ahead of all the other 65 day submissions.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:
    The 65 days estimate isn't because they get so many subs for that special, it is because they are not letting the special cut in line ahead of all the other 65 day submissions.

interesting. so it's just a game, essentially.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2024 9:00PM

@olb31 said:

@RufussCkingston said:

interesting. so it's just a game, essentially.

It's a business model. Most businesses charge extra for expedited services.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2024 7:04AM

I would guess that some of it comes to playing with the price points.

PSA knows exactly how many cards they can grade a month and how many they already have in house. I also believe PSA likely has some idea of what they expect will come in when they offer certain specials and offer a turn time commensurate with what they can deliver.

I think some of the issue comes down to customer habits, too.

I would guess the special submissions come in two major waves: when it’s first announced and when it’s about to expire. So, it would be difficult to know firmly how quickly you’ll turn them around throughout the entirety of the window when it’s announced. So there’s some element of an attempt to under promise and over produce on the turnaround time.

Though based on what I see posted around here, the earlier you sub on a special, the faster your turn time tends to be, though that’s more educated guess than fact.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to send in some on this special but it won't be until almost the end of the month. Hopefully I'll get them back before 4th of July.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    I'm going to send in some on this special but it won't be until almost the end of the month. Hopefully I'll get them back before 4th of July.

2024 or 2025? :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

I think they are taking their time with it, likely with more experience graders. With the shenanigans that go in with trimming and similar, I'm glad they do. My cards aren't going very far after grading anyway.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 250 ✭✭✭

That’s probably my bad. I have been sending in all my cat pictures for grading. Gumming up the gears I’m sure.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I think the senior graders are the ones reviewing the modern bulk orders. That gives them less time for vintage.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It has been such a long time since there was a special on 1949-earlier items, including not having one during the holiday countdown specials run, that it does make me wonder a bit if they are intentionally considering splitting that portion off to the newly acquired SGC side of the business in the not too distant future. Most likely not, but if it does end up happening then I guess I won't be surprised.

• Options

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    i did a1979 & older 65 day order (25$each /499 less value)
    Sent in 4 cards: 1916-20 unc big heads (handcut)
    Estimate complete 4/23
    Arrived 1/19
    Research ID 1/24
    Grading 1/25 +++ still there????

Still stuck in grading--for 2 months???
    With 1 month left (as estimated)--i was expecting some type of movement by now.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options

It gets frustrating for me. This past SGC order, which I received Wednesday, took about 22 days total time counting sending and getting back, plus I was very happy with my grades. Win Win win.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    It gets frustrating for me. This past SGC order, which I received Wednesday, took about 22 days total time counting sending and getting back, plus I was very happy with my grades. Win Win win.

You should just submit there then. No more worrying!

• Options

@grote15 said:

@olb31 said:

You should just submit there then. No more worrying!

That's exactly the plan. Thanks for the help.

• Options

I just mailed a special off on Saturday morning of over 100 cards. About 20% are 75 Minis so hopefully that doesn't slow the process down. I'll update in this thread how long it takes at each stage.

• Options

@PatriotTrading said:
    I just mailed a special off on Saturday morning of over 100 cards. About 20% are 75 Minis so hopefully that doesn't slow the process down. I'll update in this thread how long it takes at each stage.

sounds good.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 4:38PM

Is a 1976-77 Topps Basketball card considered a tall boY? Can those be sent in under this special?

• Options

@handyman said:
    Is a 1976-77 Topps Basketball card considered a tall boY? Can those be sent in under this special?

I can't remember ever seeing anything other than regular or smaller sized cards included in their monthly specials.

• Options
    Yankees70Yankees70 Posts: 137 ✭✭

This might be a stupid question but I will still ask it - This special ends on March 31. Does that mean the package needs to be at the PSA office before April 1 or it has to be postmarked before April 1? If a customer mails out his package on March 31 and arrives at PSA on April 3 does the special still apply?

• Options

Postmarked March 31.

• Options

@olb31 said:
    Postmarked March 31.

When a submission is created, special or no, it says when it must be received by to be accepted under the submission.

Which, for my March special submissions, was April 16th.

That said, I wouldn’t trust much of what I read on these forums. Haha.

• Options

On the PSA website it says offer expires on March 31. Nothing about being postmarked/must be in their office is mentioned.

• Options

Good luck.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience if you have the form finalized and completed in the system before the deadline then you're good. It doesn't need to be postmarked or arrive prior to the deadline once the forms are completed.

I've never had any issues sending things later as long as the form is done before the Special expires.

• Options
    HarnessracingHarnessracing Posts: 327 ✭✭✭

Must be filled out before 3/31 then they must have it within 30 days of the date you made the submission .

• Options

It's on the paperwork of the submission that PSA created for it in which you electronically signed. Just go with whatever that says.

• Options

Thanks for the great info guys. I appreciate it.