Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Paying for someone else's mistakes.

If I pay someone to install windows, and they forget to do one of them, I don't pay again to have that window put in. On the other hand If I send it a coin to PCGS and they miss a FBL, FB or FS and I send it back to them they will charge me a grading fee and a Guarantee Premium to correct their mistake.

If there were no mistakes, there would be no need for a guarantee. So why am I put at a disadvantage to those whose coins were properly attributed on the first go around? I have no problem with charging to look at the coin that was properly graded - but a mistake is a mistake and we shouldn't have to pay for something that wasn't right - no matter whose favor it falls for.

As for the actual grade of the coin, I can see them charging for a PLUS upgrade, but a full grade or more, seems more like an error in grading than a judgement call.

Here is what I am talking about for those who don't know:

RECONSIDERATION: Use the Reconsideration service if you would like to have your coin regraded without being removed from its current PCGS holder. Coins that upgrade will be removed from current holder, given the new grade and/or suffix, and placed in a new holder. Grading fees will apply whether the coin upgrades or not. Coins that do upgrade will also be charged the Guarantee Premium*.

*GUARANTEE PREMIUM: Equal to 1% of the value of the coin in its final grade. The value of the coin is determined by the PCGS Price Guide value for that grade or the Declared Value of the coin, if the Price Guide value is not available. The minimum amount for the Guarantee Premium is $10. PCGS reserves the right to make the final determination of the coin’s value.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yawn...

If I pay someone to inspect the windows and i want them inspected again, I do pay twice.

Another alt?

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 8:31AM

@RonaldDay said:
    If I pay someone to install windows, and they forget to do one of them, I don't pay again to have that window put in. On the other hand If I send it a coin to PCGS and they miss a FBL, FB or FS and I send it back to them they will charge me a grading fee and a Guarantee Premium to correct their mistake.

PCGS didn't forget to install your window, they installed it differently than you expected or hoped they would.

So why am I put at a disadvantage to those whose coins were properly attributed on the first go around? I have no problem with charging to look at the coin that was properly graded - but a mistake is a mistake and we shouldn't have to pay for something that wasn't right - no matter whose favor it falls for.

You are assuming they made the mistake. Maybe you did?

I'm not saying that's the case, but you're adding a lot of assumptions onto the scenario.

Now I'm off to get a quote from Anderson Window and Coin Authentication.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2024 8:34AM

Installing windows is not an opinion........grading is!

Plus, there are no fence posts between grades, ie., the highest ms65 is the lowest ms66....depending on so many factors, you can never tell which one it'll be.

Not a good example.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

I certainly dislike inconsistency in grading and think some glaring instances are inexcusable. At the same time, I don’t feel that a one point change in grade necessarily makes either result “right” vs. “wrong”.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

King of Alts

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

King of Alts

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe you should storm the gates and demand satisfaction.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

The truth is out there and despite our opinion, it doesn't change the facts or moving targets. Change is going to cost. It always does. Show me the coin.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

what if the mistake is yours, and the coins do not meet their criteria?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    what if the mistake is yours, and the coins do not meet their criteria?

Then the forum is paying for his mistakes. So, the thread title is still accurate.

• Options

To address the general comments, that all seem to be along the same vein:

1. If they check a coin and see no reason to change anything, you owe them a grading fee.

2. I know people will think there was a mistake made where none was, I have a dime with huge full bands but a tiny 1/64" tick across the bottom band that you can only see with a loupe. Technically doesn't count as full bands (that is another topic) and would be bounced if you tried to get the designation.

3. Actual grading is a different animal, which is why I broke it out in my original post.

• Options

wow, I have no idea why the type came out so big.

• Options

@RonaldDay said:

#

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a True View?
    Did you speak to Customer Service before posting about the issues?
    If so, what was their response?

Post the coin and the issue in question.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

1) Grading is an opinion of the graders. Opinions change over time, as do graders. On the whole, they do a very good job, but because they are people, occasionally, even the best make mistakes.
    2) And don't get me started on liner / shot coins. Ie., is that SLQ a just made it full head or not? Or, should that really nice MS 64 be in a MS 65 holder?
    3) The TPGs are in a business. You send them your coins, they spend time dealing with them, they charge you a fee.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonaldDay said:

Were you hollering?

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

So why am I put at a disadvantage to those whose coins were properly attributed on the first go around?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file