Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why sellers drink...

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another fun installment of why sellers drink....

The buyer and I negotiate a price after some back and forth over the course of the day (not on CU or eBay).

Buyer: if you can wait until tomorrow night, I will pay then.
Me: sure (I provide the method to send the payment as well).
Tomorrow night comes along and there is no word, so I check in but there is no reply.
The next morning....
Buyer: I had to spend 10 grand and can't buy it now. Maybe in a week or two.
Me: (knowing there is very little chance of this guy paying next week)....I'll have to raise the price next week
Buyer: Who raises prices like that? I don't do business that way so forget the offer.

I guess he's good doing the kind of business where he backs out of a deal. :D
....off to get that drink (soup counts as a drink, right?)

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe things will be better after tax season.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 363 ✭✭✭

Buyer: Who raises prices like that?
    Someone who has the gold and silver to sell when bullion prices rise ...

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Maybe things will be better after tax season.

I don't think this was tax season related as I have been running into plenty of this type of "buyer" over the last year to year and a half. But hopefully it does get better.

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

Nope!

Mark

• Options
    edited March 20, 2024 7:16PM

@mark_dak said:

@U1chicago said:

Nope!

Mark

Darn....well I had tea after the soup....I know, it still does not count. :D

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If it's still available when you can purchase it feel free to make a new offer!"... I've only had one guy actually follow through and submit a new offer (on ebay).

A better question is what reasons do we have to NOT drink? (not many any time you deal with the public) 🧐😅

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like an instagram special

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taste mean everything.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:
    Sounds like an instagram special

Close….facebook this time around

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

If recent sales are any indication, I couldn't afford to drink!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hilarious!!!!!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    I worked all my life in the wholesale diamond business where most transactions were agreed upon by one's word only.

It was an honorable way of doing business.

If you mucked it up, the bad word spread like wildfire and you would quickly find out that your options for doing more business were extremely limited.

I really miss those days.

To keep it coin related, at the Ontario coin shows, I have witnessed both buyers and sellers being very unethical in their dealings.

There are still some very good people out there, but to this 64 year-old, it does seem that ethics and honor have been in a slow decline over the years.

I'm only 41 and I have seen us go from a handshake economy to you can't trust anyone anytime in the blink of an eye. 😭

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 9:40AM

He sounded like trouble. That was a shrewd way to get rid of him.

You're better off selling to someone else.

Is it 5 o'clock, yet?? LOL 🍺🍺🍺

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

We live in a society that applauds people for believing they are entitled to anything, when in fact the only entitlement is death. Our society is not at all likely to improve as there is a whole generation, and likely more, that believes they are entitled. I do not sell, therefore I do not drink, now I know why.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 5:22PM

For me the cause to duck calls from unknown numbers is the typical questions on whether the change they found in the course of the day is worth a lot; or today a states quarters collections or a thick accent that sounds like it may be someone trying to pull a con.

• Options

@logger7 said:
    For me the cause to duck calls from unknown numbers is the typical questions on whether the change they found in the course of the day is worth a lot; or today a states quarters collections or a thick accent that sounds like it may be someone trying to pull a con.

Why would a thick accent mean it's a con?

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

Don't be so naive. He said "may". A lot of scams come from outside the country where it's difficult if not impossible for US law enforcement to apprehend the criminal. By the way, I know a Nigerian prince that has a business proposition just for you that is guaranteed to make you a lot of money. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoubleEagle59 said:
    I worked all my life in the wholesale diamond business where most transactions were agreed upon by one's word only.

It was an honorable way of doing business.

If you mucked it up, the bad word spread like wildfire and you would quickly find out that your options for doing more business were extremely limited.

I really miss those days.

To keep it coin related, at the Ontario coin shows, I have witnessed both buyers and sellers being very unethical in their dealings.

There are still some very good people out there, but to this 64 year-old, it does seem that ethics and honor have been in a slow decline over the years.

Between the ever increasing population and the "net" in all likelihood these situations will only increase.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caveat Venditor > Caveat Emptor, IMO

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

Don't be so naive. He said "may". A lot of scams come from outside the country where it's difficult if not impossible for US law enforcement to apprehend the criminal. By the way, I know a Nigerian prince that has a business proposition just for you that is guaranteed to make you a lot of money. ;)

And a lot of people with accents are simply hard working Americans. So, it is fair to ask if there was something besides an accent involved.

Do I have to actually spell out the problem with profiling?

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@PerryHall said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@logger7 said:

And a lot of people with accents are simply hard working Americans. So, it is fair to ask if there was something besides an accent involved.

Do I have to actually spell out the problem with profiling?

Please spell it out because if you have never profiled then you likely don't have much self awareness of your surroundings.

Trust your instincts if you see someone "shady" following you or you find yourself in an uneasy situation then profile away for your own self protection. Just don't break any laws when doing so.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandparents had thick Swedish accents. My wife's grandparents had heavy Italian accents and spoke broken English. They were all American citizens. The "accent" comment was simply careless. I'm no PC fan, but I do try to use language that doesn't offend the innocent and encourage divisiveness.

• Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭

Why sellers drink? Because they are thirsty!! LOL

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file