Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New member, new problems!

Hey everyone,

So I know that there are ethics and rules when it comes to just joining a forum and asking "How much is this worth?? Now how much is this worth??? WHAT ABOUT THIS????"

But I do have some coins that I'm trying to find a value for and as you all know they very in price all over the internet. So How should I handle this? The coins are 3 bicentennial quarters one solid D one regular D and one with no mint mark. Then I have 3 GA state quarters from 1999 and one PA also from 99.

Please advise!

Thanks
Tony.

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

Short answer, if they are circulated, then they are worth face value unless they have an error.
    They have to be high grade uncirculated to have any value over face.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2024 1:02PM

@ChaosTheory17 said:
    Hey everyone,

So I know that there are ethics and rules when it comes to just joining a forum and asking "How much is this worth?? Now how much is this worth??? WHAT ABOUT THIS????"

But I do have some coins that I'm trying to find a value for and as you all know they very in price all over the internet. So How should I handle this? The coins are 3 bicentennial quarters one solid D one regular D and one with no mint mark. Then I have 3 GA state quarters from 1999 and one PA also from 99.

Please advise!

Thanks
    Tony.

Use the Google machine to find eBay. Then put the type of coin and date in the "search for anything" box. Then look for a coin that looks like yours. Then go to the most recent sold items. It will give you a good market value of what your coins are worth.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spend them.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2024 1:14PM

Did you do any basic research those coins are produced in the millions for circulation and NO value beyond face value expect if you have one in exceptional quality witch is uncommon.

If you think they have extra value join all those wishful thinkers and attempt to sell on ebay.
    Did you check and see if actual salestook place or not?

If you are serious buy a book called “Redbook of U S Coins “ or just a search google.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    Spend them.

+1

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    The last Bicentennial "quarter" purchased cost me $9.00
    (I hope this information helps.)

Here is a photo of it:

Fakes are more expensive than the authentic coin?

• Options

I did do basic research but I honestly feel like the ignorant (me included in this) has clouded the results so that its hard to find an answer I could probably get some high quality photos I just didn't want to spam the forum as a new member. Yes they are circulated and yes they are probably worth only face value however, there is a reason I'm pursuing this. My girlfriend is going home to Germany for a couple weeks and some life expenses has hurt her traveling money. Im looking for any avenue to insure she has the time there with her family that she deserves so even if they are worthless Im going to follow up with photos.

Thanks everyone for your input on this, seriously!

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

• Options

Thanks, Hoarder!

Here are the photos in order front to back..

• Options

And of course it uploaded them out order why wouldn’t it? lol sorry y’all

• Options

Alright, I appreciate it!

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2024 3:43PM

You can safely spend them...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    edited March 20, 2024 2:24PM

Coins are still worth face value. Glad you have time to take photos of your coins and tell us your “social life”😩😳

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are truly looking for value why not look at the PCGS Price guide?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

Maybe because his coins are not PCGS graded. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:

@PTVETTER said:

It's a guide maybe the Red book? Or some other listing like a coin dealer on line?

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@robec said:

Fakes are more expensive than the authentic coin?

Only if they're struck at the "G" mint...

peacockcoins

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

@coinbuf said:

@PTVETTER said:

It's a guide maybe the Red book? Or some other listing like a coin dealer on line?

And here is a screenshot what the PCGS price guide shows for the 1976 qtr in grades VF25 to 60, not too useful in my opinion. Red book might be ok but I doubt that any dealer or on-line resource (other than ebay) exists for circulated 1976 qtrs.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

So it's worthless question. like the value of the coin over FV!
    Some questions have more value than others.
    RIF remember that????

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Im just gonna throw this out there cause I could care less if I'm banned or not. I started this thread and continued it with nothing but respect for your community. Most of yall are okay but a lot of you are pretentious a*******!

Thanks again to all that helped.

• Options

:# Guess he cannot read the rules or understand them.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:

@coinbuf said:

@PTVETTER said:

All price guides are nearly useless to a novice because you need to be able to grade the coins and/or identify varieties.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2024 3:28PM

@ChaosTheory17 said:
    Im just gonna throw this out there cause I could care less if I'm banned or not. I started this thread and continued it with nothing but respect for your community. Most of yall are okay but a lot of you are pretentious a*******!

I'm not seeing the respect. No surprise that you don't care if you are banned. You clearly came here not with any real interest in the hobby or the community, but because you thought you could find coins worth $$ in your change with no effort on your part, and then have them appraised by us (again with no effort on your part).

Had you made a modicum of effort, you ought to have been able to find out yourself that common modern coins in circulated condition have no additional value over face. Nevertheless, you came here and were fully satisfied - you were given the correct answer on a platter. You should have simply said "thank you" and left it at that.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@ChaosTheory17 said:
    Im looking for any avenue to insure she has the time there with her family that she deserves so even if they are worthless Im going to follow up with photos.

That's no way to talk about your in-laws.

Post of the day.

Although I'd imagine the OP might disagree...

peacockcoins

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@lermish said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@ChaosTheory17 said:
    Im looking for any avenue to insure she has the time there with her family that she deserves so even if they are worthless Im going to follow up with photos.

Post of the day.

Although I'd imagine the OP might disagree...

Hopefully, despite being a little salty, the OP can appreciate a finely crafted misdirectional joke. If not, their loss.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@ChaosTheory17 said:

My wife says we don't agree on anything. That's not true. We both dislike our Mother-in-law.

(I'll be here all week... don't forget to tip your waiter, and please, don't order the fish)

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take her to the mall and buy gumballs. She'll like that.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file