Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

haven't seen this ebay scam in years

derrybderryb Posts: 36,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 18, 2024 1:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Buyer ebay ID #1 makes high dollar purchase. Immediately get a message from a different ebay ID asking to change mailing address. Notified ebay ID #1 that he should change his password, his account has been hijacked, most likely because he clicked on a link in a scam email from ebay.

Never ship to an address different than the one provided by ebay. Comparing the two ebay IDs will confirm its a scam or just a buyer who does not realize you have to ship to the ebay provided address.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

The classics never die! B)

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    Buyer ebay ID #1 makes high dollar purchase. Immediately get a message from a different ebay ID asking to change mailing address. Notified ebay ID #1 that he should change his password, his account has been hijacked...

If the 2nd message for the redirect came from a different ebay ID then how does that mean the first ebay ID was hacked?

I assumed cases like these involve an auction that has just ended, and a scammer is simply messages the seller to try to get them to change the shipping address.

• Options

@JBK said:

@derryb said:
    Buyer ebay ID #1 makes high dollar purchase. Immediately get a message from a different ebay ID asking to change mailing address. Notified ebay ID #1 that he should change his password, his account has been hijacked...

If the 2nd message for the redirect came from a different ebay ID then how does that mean the first ebay ID was hacked?

I assumed cases like these involve an auction that has just ended, and a scammer is simply messages the seller to try to get them to change the shipping address.

scammer made purchase with hacked, legitimate account (ebay ID #1) then messaged me from a second ebay account (with the typical 0 feedback) to ship to different address. Ebay has since shut down the second ebay account.

Important: now that payment is made from an ebay account and a paypal account is no longer needed, scams such as this are much easier for the scammer - no need to also hijack someone's paypal account to pay for the item.

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I doubt his account was hacked unless the message came from buyer 1 and he claims he didn't send it.
    The scammer just watches the most recent sold history page and sends messages right as they sell.
    Wonder how many people have fallen for it over the years. :/

• Options

@Torey said:
    I doubt his account was hacked unless the message came from buyer 1 and he claims he didn't send it.

Unless ID#1 was hijacked, how else did scammer make a large purchase using it? User #1 says he didn't make the purchase.

This another way of making the scam.

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

User #1 says he didn't make the purchase.

Someone has access to his account then.
    Sorry, I missed that part.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still don't get it. If account #1 is hijacked, why not message from that account, or just change the shipping address in the account.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Torey said:

Unless ID#1 was hijacked, how else did scammer make a large purchase using it? User #1 says he didn't make the purchase.

That wasn't part of your original post. :* You didn't say User #1 denied making the purchase.

And as someone said, if the scammer hijacked the account, why bother with a 2nd ID. Just change the address on ebay for User #1, or message the seller from that account.

And as @Torey said, the scam is also possible if the scammer, using another ID, just contacts the seller immediately after a big sale closes and poses as the buyer and requests a change.

Anyway, lots of scams out there so the reminder is appropriate.

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    I still don't get it. If account #1 is hijacked, why not message from that account, or just change the shipping address in the account.

might have triggered an email to account holder?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

a purchase from acct 1 would trigger an email to #1

if acct #1 and acct#2 were in on it with each other, acct #1 could pay then acct #2 "trick" and get the item, then #1 says they never got the item and get a refund. win-win-lose

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file