Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Possible weather problems for upcoming ANA show

CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are coming to Colorado for the ANA show, check the weather forecast for the area. More details tomorrow.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Comments

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 14, 2024 4:31AM

I will be bringing a jacket.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    I will bringing a jacket.

Don't forget to also bring a snow shovel. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colorado Springs is only forecasted to get about 9 inches of snow, but most of the Denver metro area is forecasted to get well over a foot.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's Colorado in the (astronomical) end of winter (meteorological) early spring... what could possibly happen?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    It's Colorado in the (astronomical) end of winter (meteorological) early spring... what could possibly happen?

I don't know about you guys, but I hope we get a blizzard. :smile:

Coin Photographer.

• Options

I assume that many people going to the show will be flying into Denver and renting a car to drive down to Colorado Springs. This means going through Castle Rock and over the Palmer Divide. Yesterday one of the Denver TV stations said that Castle Rock might get over 18 inches of snow from Wednesday afternoon through Friday morning. Another station predicted a lot less, but at least 6 and possibly more. It all depends on how the storm coming in from California tracks.

Here is a forecast from a Colorado Springs station:

https://www.koaa.com/weather/spring-like-warmth-tuesday-will-be-followed-by-a-late-week-winter-blast?fbclid=IwAR1oJJ0gLIm1OA1SUeGqzpHpl7MdNqTBGmbuVBRSwBqgfUNP27zyj3_IQDc

I'm not saying that you can't get there, but bring winter weather gear and travel as early as possible.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Al, you are now in charge of updates.

• Options
    CrackoutCrackout Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I-25 south from Denver to Colorado Springs through Castle Rock, Larkspur and Monument can be quite treacherous when a lot of snow starts piling up!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

get the accuweather app for your phone

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 9:38AM

Don't know if the the weather really matters. 3 days out from the the show and
    not a single thread about the show. Nothing about get togethers. With the
    weather reports I would probably stay home. Are there no direct flights from
    Denver or Dallas or Chicago?

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just use a motorcycle... Rendon Dietzmann did it the other way in 20 minutes.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

You never know about the Springs due to the mountains. I was out there one year and my girlfriend at the time called to see how I was doing. Washington, DC media was reporting very heavy snow conditions for the area and Denver Airport closed. I replied, really. The snow flurry had stopped and the streets were wet at the college. Of course you have to get here first. Good luck to all show travelers.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

We skipped ANA this time as it just isn’t a place we rather be during this time of year. We will be at Baltimore and hope to see everyone!

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 330 ✭✭✭✭

@Tibor said:

Are there no direct flights from
    Denver or Dallas or Chicago?

There are direct flights from Dallas and Chicago, and a quick bumpy 15min flight from Denver to CO springs which I take every few weeks to connect through Denver. I strongly recommend flying into and out of CO springs airport it does not have all the hassle of an airport like Denver.

Regarding the weather, it is supposed to be above freezing every day, so I didn't anticipate the snow will stick around all weekend, but Thursday and Friday could get messy. I live a few minutes from the venue so I'll be there, if nobody else makes it, I Guess I get first pick of everything!

Travel safe to so coming in from our of town!

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@BStrauss3 said:

I don't know about you guys, but I hope we get a blizzard. :smile:

imagine getting shut in with all your coin friends, watching them sleep on their slabs, cuddle their boxes, it would get weird fast

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the ANA show in the late 1970's at the Broadmoor Hotel. There was 8 inches of snow on the ground. The bourse was held in an ice arena with the ice under plywood boards. Probably the coldest bourse ever.

• Options
    Husker73Husker73 Posts: 34 ✭✭

I am a lurker most of the time on this forum. I am going into Colorado Springs for the show on Wednesday. Plan to be at the show Thursday and Friday morning. I would like to meet some of the members from this forum. I hope someone on this site will set up a time and place to meet?

• Options

Denver Metro now forecasted up to 2 feet in places. CO Springs is up to 13 inches.

It's a bit early to be hopeful, but the last time we had forecasts like this we got three and a half feet. That was a few years ago. Our forecasters do usually suck though, so it could turn out to be nothing.

Regardless, if you're coming in from out of town, I'd HEAVILY advise you to be sure that you come well prepared.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    I will bringing a jacket.

Don't forget to also bring a snow shovel. ;)

I'm sure he's seen enough already 🙄

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 5:05PM

I would suggest packing an extra tube of Bengay and maybe an extra jar of mustard in case of unexpected emergencies. They wear big boy pants up in Denver and they know how to handle the weather. Pretty certain, you will be fine. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

Stay safe, people. This is going to get ugly.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 876 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 13, 2024 7:21AM

@BStrauss3 said:

@tcollects said:
    some lucky person will be checking the parking lot after the snow melts

Hoping to find a missing dealer?

by the time they found him, he'd look like a portly Han Solo frozen in carbonite, complete with an inappropriately unbuttoned shirt to his bellybutton, a lanyard and mustard stains

...anyone who looks directly at it switches from coins to stamps

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are in CO now. Looking forward to excellent skiing conditions over the next couple days. 😀

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Before flying out, I saw blizzard warning from Midnight through noon on Friday. Accumulation 6" to a foot, but the wind should be strong. My main concern was having aircraft where they needed to be. So far, so good.

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

Any updates?

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭

One vote against a blizzard, or any snow for that matter. I have lived here since 1998 and have had more than enough of both. Besides, snow is a four letter word.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Well, I made it down from the Denver area today with no problem. Bourse was pretty active at around 5:00 pm when I went in to check it out. No snow yet and still in the high 30s. We will see what the night brings.
    Look forward to maybe meeting some of you over the next few days.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of them will wish they had bought the all-season tires instead of the cheap summer tires. Always a good laugh watching those with summer tires get nowhere! When will they ever learn?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

big storm to go into friday too.

scattered snow squalls and showers around colorado springs late sat into early sunday afternoon. most areas should be ok in both denver and colorado springs but up to 1" accumulation possible in some areas in colorado springs

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Up to three inches currently and no signs of this one slowing down.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

supposed to go into friday too

keep on snow plowin'

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

Safe travels to all. Via Con Dios.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Safe travels

• Options

Denver still right on the rain/snow border, but the interface is slowly v moving east. Hundreds of flights in and out of Denver on Thursday already cancelled.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    I skipped Colorado Springs and went to Barcelona instead. It’s an annoyingly chilly 57 degrees right now. Brrrrr!

Any rain? If so, does the rain in Spain stay mainly on the plain?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    JohnFJohnF Posts: 273 ✭✭✭✭

Snow-ma-geddon! Good luck to those who made the trip. We have three folks from Greysheet and Whitman there...

John Feigenbaum
    Whitman Brands: President/CEO (www.greysheet.com; www.whitman.com)
    PNG: Executive Director (www.pngdealers.org)
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

View from my Broadmoor hotel room this morning:

Not sure how everyone feels about this but I’m thinking party on the bourse floor!

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not the brightest idea to hold this event at this time of year! Last year in Scottsdale was Awesome!

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options

Denver Metro has a foot and a half in places, with another 8 inches supposed to come.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@ScarsdaleCoin said:
    Not the brightest idea to hold this event at this time of year! Last year in Scottsdale was Awesome!

A week ago Denver hit 70. Springtime in the Rockies is a crapshoot.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

Heck, yesterday was mid 60s.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@CaptHenway said:

@ScarsdaleCoin said:

Heck, yesterday was mid 60s.

How much snow did you get, and is it still snowing now? Looks like it is almost stopped up here in Boulder County.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file