Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question about old ANACS phot grade

Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are these worth a premium?
I am about to list a whole bunch on the BST. I want to be fair with pricing so it's a win win for both the buyer and seller.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

Comments

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would price it at 62 money + $40 and see what the interest level was

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 12:12PM

They only used these certificated for a couple of months from what I could see on oldslabs.com

• Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

You really want these with the original matching serial number sticker on the flip.

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 8:18AM

I have all of the numbers flips except for this Morgan.
    It's the same coin though. It looks better on the card because it's at least semi-PL could be PL but I'm playing it safe.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's going to be a guess. The grading of the era was much more technical than today. The huge differential in the split grade will also be tough. Spitballing, MS60/65 would probably grade MS61 today.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

I just noticed that some of the holders are consecutive.

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 453 ✭✭✭

I like the ANACS Photo cert.
    I have been collecting them for about 20 years.
    Do have around 75 or so. Most of the coins match the photo cert but I have a couple that I can't make the match. No marks on the pictured coin but some on the coin in hand. To me that just means the coin was mishandled at some point after ANACS took the photo.

Bob

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wouldn't happen to have a Barber Half would you?

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options

What is the earliest MS70 you've seen?

-----Burton
  • Options
    KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Earliest ms/pf 70 was 1986 $5 Liberty. July Aug 1986

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseyben said:
    You really want these with the original matching serial number sticker on the flip.

Many of the earlier ones were PVC.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KOYNGUY said:

No, we certified a $20 Saint as PF-70 around 1980. I’ll write up the story about it tomorrow

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

What is the earliest MS70 you've seen?> @KOYNGUY said:

This one is from September 1986, sold on eBay last week

https://www.ebay.com/itm/116094046337

-----Burton
  • Options

Attention @KOYNGUY

So anyways, somewhere very early in the 1980's a very large numismatic firm in New England (which is, to the best of my knowledge, no longer in business) submitted a Proof $20 Saint for grading. The thing appeared to be flawless, and I searched it for any reason not to call it a PF-70/70. I could not find one. The coin was, by the grading guide definition, a PF-70. So, we certified it as a PF-70/70 and returned it. As I recall it came in a Capital Plastics holder, and I put it back in the holder before giving it to the shipping department.

A couple of months later I was looking through one of this firm's auction catalogues and there was the coin, graded by them as Proof-69, with no mention of the ANACS PF-70/70 certificate. I thought this was strange.

Then, a few months after that, I was teaching an ANA Summer Seminar Grading Class and discovered that one of my students was one of the higher ranking numismatists with this firm. I waited until after the class was over for the day and asked him point blank why in the heck had they ignored the PF-70/70 ANACS certificate and catalogued it as only a PF-69? He said that the firm had never seen a 70 coin before, and that they were afraid that if they catalogued it as a Proof-70 nobody would believe them!!! I sighed.

I suppose in hindsight we should have issued a press release, with the submitter's permission, when we graded the first "70" coin, but it never occurred to me.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

CaptHenway, the proof half dollar a couple posts up is still in government capsule. Did ANACS grade through government packaging sometimes?

• Options

@davewesen said:
    CaptHenway, the proof half dollar a couple posts up is still in government capsule. Did ANACS grade through government packaging sometimes?

In my time there none of our customers must have thought that there was any point in grading low value modern issues.

• Options

@relicsncoins said:

@jerseyben said:

Many of the earlier ones were PVC.

Often the coin itself was returned inside a polyethylene (PE) bag inside the PVC flip. PE is inert - it's frequently used in food-grade materials. Since the coin didn't come in contact with the PVC, it's safe albeit not ideal.

-----Burton

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file