PSA's acquisition of SGC

2»

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@craig44 said:

@bgr said:
    Bummer on the Bert. By comparison the Fred Lynn doesn't look very strong for the grade. Those borders on that '71 Blyleven are pretty exceptional. The centering is a little off top to bottom, but for a '71 it's great and it would look incredible signed -perhaps with a "3701 K's" inscription". How about $2500?

this is not the bst forum. take it to dms

@BBBrkrr said:

» show previous quotes
    I'd guess his price will be somewhere between $35,000 and $2M....

While not for sale somewhere in that neighborhood would do it! Not interested in selling - thanks.

Insanity! >:)

IMHO it would be a good candidate to bump but with the recent acquisition how would that turn out? Have you ever tried?

Unless you are rich I would ask you to consider selling if you could get anywhere near 35K. Go out and get something that provides more enjoyment. I sold some priceless cards of all the greats. It hurt for awhile but going fishing in a nice bass boat or buying the car you have always wanted should be considered.

I've never sold (and was joking about the $35K) any of my cards, but I'm seriously considering doing it soon. If PSA didn't send all those recent subs back as MinSize then I'd be putting them all up soon.

I enjoy the chase, but just want to get out and do something else with the money I get. When I do decide to sell it won't be one or two here or there. I'm clearing everything.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I am in no way the brightest bulb in the box, but would people here thing an earlier SGC graded card would be worth more, less, or the same with this merger?

PackManInNC
  • Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2024 3:49PM

@craig44 said:

@bgr said:
    Bummer on the Bert. By comparison the Fred Lynn doesn't look very strong for the grade. Those borders on that '71 Blyleven are pretty exceptional. The centering is a little off top to bottom, but for a '71 it's great and it would look incredible signed -perhaps with a "3701 K's" inscription". How about $2500?

this is not the bst forum. take it to dms

Good point. Plus with that card the inscription for Bert is gonna need to be a "I [heart] to Fart!"

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

PSA has 1800 employees? Doing what?

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Likely to keep the SGC brand and PSA/Collectors Universe will be the parent company...I.e like when Ebay bought Paypal...and Facebook bought Instagram etc...while not exactly sure but SGC seems to be better with the vintage cards it seems...

• Options
    HOMETOWNSPORTSHOMETOWNSPORTS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Just read the news brief and SGC will remain it's own brand...

• Options
    SeaverfanSeaverfan Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

Likely one or more small and light scratches on the surface on the 71 Blyleven. Corners, edges and image are something to appreciate!

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2024 5:09PM

Would be a shame to see SGC go away, from a customer service perspective they are infinitely better than PSA.

2-3 weeks door to door for an order.They answer emails same day, the images are better. And most recent order came with a customs letter that saved me at minimum a few hundred bucks.

If PSA kills the brand I’m likely done submitting. ,I get that PSA gets better prices and I respect what Nat is building , but I refuse to do business with companies that don’t know how to service their customers. With little to no competition I expect service levels to get worse, if thats even possible.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    Would be a shame to see SGC go away, from a customer service perspective they are infinitely better than PSA.

2-3 weeks door to door for an order.They answer emails same day, the images are better. And most recent order came with a customs letter that saved me at minimum a few hundred bucks.

If PSA kills the brand I’m likely done submitting. ,I get that PSA gets better prices and I respect what Nat is building , but I refuse to do business with companies that don’t know how to service their customers. With little to no competition I expect service levels to get worse, if thats even possible.

You're not wrong. SGC is the best when it comes to customer service. If they still graded tickets, they would get all my business. I still use SGC for cards because they are fast, unlike the other grading companies. Beckett is super slow. Takes forever to get your items back. I'm surprised they're still in business.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had to sub cards in the next month or so who would you use? After reading about the merger I am leaning toward Beckett.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Horrible news. I see nothing positive for the collector with this acquisition.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

What's next? McDonalds buys Burger King? Coke buys Pepsi?

I guess I just don't see this as meaningful news. This market has been out over it's skis for 3 years and some amount of consolidation is expected to promote innovation. I understand the fear regarding pricing, but with growth for all of the grading companies occurring, why would we naturally expect "competition" to induce a "race to the bottom"? The grading companies have all kind of found their niches and the number of submissions has been increasing month over month and year over year (in general). These same companies appear to be dealing with the increased work and the increased scrutiny more so than making meaningful improvements.

I'm glad for anything other than the status-quo here myself, but I hope this does work out positively for collectors long-term.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

PSA didn't need them. They just wanted to keep them from someone else, possibly? It happens.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    PSA didn't need them. They just wanted to keep them from someone else, possibly? It happens.

I can see this being true. SGC has been gaining some market share and they'd be a good partner with another grading company to buy or merge with and compete with PSA.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭

I think it was a good move by PSA ...

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 1:21PM

For some reason I see A LOT of people equating SGC grades and PSA grades as equal now(i.e. SGC 9=PSA 9). I'm going to guess that there will be an influencer or five saying that SGC cards are all great investments because they are equal. Some nice cards here in this thread but ya'all nuts if you believe that.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatriotTrading said:
    For some reason I see A LOT of people equating SGC grades and PSA grades as equal now(i.e. SGC 9=PSA 9). I'm going to guess that there will be an influencer or five saying that SGC cards are all great investments because they are equal. Some nice cards here in this thread but ya'all nuts if you believe that.

Prolly depends on the card. If they are both equal in appearance (mainly centering) in a 9, then I would think PSA would sell for more.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were PSA, I would change the dimensions of the SGC Holder so that it fits with the PSA slab in a stack. You can keep the label but the larger SGC slab makes storage a little tricky when you have a PSA dominate collection.

Run a cheap reholder special, win-win.

Mike
  • Options
    JolleyWrencherJolleyWrencher Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:
    If you had to sub cards in the next month or so who would you use? After reading about the merger I am leaning toward Beckett.

Yep, BGS with consistent grading, attractive slabs, they aren't afraid to use 1/2 points regularly, they have 4 sub-grades, and they don't seem to be in bed with any major consignors that I can tell.

I honestly feel horrible to all employees at SGC and PSA who are the type to work hard and not rub shoulders to advance their career. The crookedness I have witnessed is sad to see.
    Now that PSA is acquiring SGC, and eliminating their fiercest competitor, I don't see any need for PSA to invest 1 penny in changing anything. They literally mitigated their #1 risk and have bought themselves at least 5-10 years of worry-free business because nobody can climb over both companies to unseat them.

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Holy smokes!!! Looks like a 10.

Accurately graded to me. Top and Bottom borders off a bit for a 10. Still a beauty for a 1971.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 191 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

Beckett Grading is a shell of its former self. They've done nothing to market or change anything that's beneficial to the collector. PSA has swallowed up their modern card grading that used to be their bread & butter. Though the cases are indeed nice, PSA is what you want for the future. I really don't believe Beckett Grading will be around in a decade.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting the stuff that comes out when big shakeups happen. I heard over across the street that a poster has knowledge that dave forman is still grading cards for SGC during shows. I was surprised to hear this considering Formans reputation.

I guess everything wasnt as rosy as we thought at SGC.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Craig…

I am unaware of his reputation. Can you elaborate on Forman?

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatriotTrading said:

@Cakes said:

Beckett Grading is a shell of its former self. They've done nothing to market or change anything that's beneficial to the collector. PSA has swallowed up their modern card grading that used to be their bread & butter. Though the cases are indeed nice, PSA is what you want for the future. I really don't believe Beckett Grading will be around in a decade.

Thanks for the heads up! I guess I will have to try SGC then.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Craig…

I am unaware of his reputation. Can you elaborate on Forman?

He is supposedly on the PSA super secret "known trimmers" list. This is from SCR not me.

Mike