Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard a collector say?

13»

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 23, 2024 8:30PM

Good story. I'm not sure it was dumb.
    It's just that your knowledge was out of date, and you didn't realize it at the time.
    It's a rough feeling though, when you were sure but then later realized you were wrong.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque . If we are talking about stupid things we have said in person I have a contender for all star stupidity.
    25 years ago I was building a type set of dollars. A friend of mine named Harvey only collected Carson City Dollars. More to the point he collected raw coins. Well, he was kind enough to show me his collection (THREE 1873-CC dollars! included), but at the end hands me an 1870-CC dollar in a F-12 PCGS holder and says: "I would rather not go through the trouble of breaking this coin out. I didn't know it was in a slab when I won it but tell you what. you give me $400 and she's yours." What did I say, "No thanks, I plan on getting at least a VF-20."
    To this day I can't believe I am smart enough to both walk and talk considering how low I set the intelligence bar. James

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    @Jacques_Loungecoque . If we are talking about stupid things we have said in person I have a contender for all star stupidity.
    25 years ago I was building a type set of dollars. A friend of mine named Harvey only collected Carson City Dollars. More to the point he collected raw coins. Well, he was kind enough to show me his collection (THREE 1873-CC dollars! included), but at the end hands me an 1870-CC dollar in a F-12 PCGS holder and says: "I would rather not go through the trouble of breaking this coin out. I didn't know it was in a slab when I won it but tell you what. you give me $400 and she's yours." What did I say, "No thanks, I plan on getting at least a VF-20."

Did you ever get the VF-20 or better?

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@MrEureka said:

Mark - Have you ever had a potential buyer keep chiseling even after you told them very clearly that you don't want to sell for any less? I have, and it gets old pretty quickly.

Agree. Happens all the time. They'll ask "what's your best price?" I tell them, and they'll still come back at me with a lower offer. I usually reply "You just asked me for my best price and $x is my best price. If you don't want it, that's fine but that's my net." I swear to God there are some folks who you could quote half of market value and they'd still counter you. Every dealer's had this happen at some point and knows they're a waste of time.

Any of them ever do like Eric Cartman and say "oh man, you're breaking my balls..."?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

No @DisneyFan. I was foolish and unlucky. I spent years trying to finish my type set of Dollars. I was able to do a date set of Peace dollars, an 18 coin every mint/decade set of Morgans, I finished my Trade dollar set, all three mints from 1873 and all 3 mints from 1877.
    I had all three Seated Dollar mints No Motto and had both the 1872-S and the 1873 but never got that last coin. Every time I bid I lost and every time I called on a fixed list it was gone. Took me awhile to realize just how stupid I had been. By then the prices had gone nuts. I can't even bear to luck what those CC Seated dollars go for now. James

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:
    To this day I can't believe I am smart enough to both walk and talk considering how low I set the intelligence bar. James

Oh, wow! If only we could borrow that time machine at Area 51….

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Not at a coin show. But heard by a collector at a sports card show.
    .50 cent card in case.
    Adult collector with his wife says: Am interested. Can you do any better on the price?

My answer to that is usually: “Yes, but it’ll be better for ME.”

• Options
    nencoinnencoin Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 2:51PM

I will pay your asking price for your insert high four-figure or five-figure NGC coin if you cross it to PCGS and get it CAC stickered.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nencoin said:
    I will pay your asking price for your if you cross it to PCGS and get it CAC stickered.

What? They didn’t require an upgrade, as well?😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Customer had won his first coin at auction, it was a nice proof 70 DCAM gold coin. As many DCAM's the photo made the field look black in photos. When the customer came to pick the coin up he argued that the coin wasn't black like the photos and isn't a real DCAM. We had to have three different numismatists come in and explain that it is still a DCAM and the photos are like that because of the mirroring. He was a diamond dealer and explained that the photo colors should match the coin. He walked out very unpleased he didn't have an "authentic proof DCAM".

• Options

I have a coin from 1776 and it has this drummer on it.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GAC said:

Just wait until 2026.

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can grade as well as those jokers at PCGS. :s

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GAC said:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file