Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

TPG value rankings

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

We can continue to argue about the recognition we give to certain coins and that is a part of the joy of the hobby. Our personal opinions vary and I respect that completely.

But, Let’s quit beating around the bush financially. As of today, it’s not hard, and won’t be until one party changes their standards. If there were a close call, it would be #3 vs #4.

1. PCGS w/CAC (removes stickered xover stigma)
  2. CACG
  3. NGC W/CAC
  4. PCGS, no CAC
  5. NGC, no CAC

:smiley::smiley::smiley::smiley:

Doug

Comments

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won’t disagree (I have no idea where CACG really fits) but for the sake of conversation I’ll ask what you think the difference in price would be in the same coin from #1 to #5?
    Generally speaking is it 5%? 10%?
    What do you see in the market or feel you and others would pay/discount?

• Options

Great question. Those who can calculate the % of differences are currently making money in the coin market on the spread.

Doug
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins can be found across the whole band of the coin grading services. The most knowledgeable collectors/dealers will be the winners. They will know which coins to send where or crack out of which holder to be resubmitted elsewhere for the most financial gain.
    That's been shown already with a Franklin that was cracked out of a cacg slab.
    I wonder what John Albanese's opinion is on folks buying cacg coins only to crack them to send across the street and around the corner?
    I'm sure the crack out artists are standing by...

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The absolute nicest coins that I have seen are in PCGS, NGC and ANACS holders.

Not one of these super awesome eye appealing ultra rare coins have CAC on them, thank god.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 5:33PM

@ctf_error_coins said:

Not one of these super awesome eye appealing ultra rare coins have CAC on them, thank god.

This should be on the BST. 🤣

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 6:36PM

@ctf_error_coins said:

Just out of curiosity, what percentage of those super awesome eye appealing ultra rare coins are or were currently for sale in your inventory? :D

EDIT: Thank god? Well, John Albanese makes the decision what to sticker and not to sticker so.....John Albanese is god?

• Options

Probably the prettiest 1909 vdb MPL was in an NGC 68 RB holder, but was “downgraded” to a PCGS 67+ RB holder because that’s where the money is.

Doug
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 10:54PM

@ctf_error_coins said:

That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've heard all day.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I got this email today

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I got this email today

Reasonably priced!!!

• Options

@renomedphys said:

@DMWJR said:
    Probably the prettiest 1909 vdb MPL was in an NGC 68 RB holder, but was “downgraded” to a PCGS 67+ RB holder because that’s where the money is.

THAT coin went from NGC68GreenCAC to PCGS67+GoldCAC. That's an upgrade in my book!

Agreed

Doug
  • Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 said:
    I won’t disagree (I have no idea where CACG really fits) but for the sake of conversation I’ll ask what you think the difference in price would be in the same coin from #1 to #5?
    Generally speaking is it 5%? 10%?
    What do you see in the market or feel you and others would pay/discount?

The answer varies by series and grade, but i can tell you from personal experience on better quality gold it ranges from a minimum of 20% to as much as 60%. As a general example a type double eagle in MS65 with a Price Guide of $4k might go for $3,200 NGC and $5k PCGS CAC. Of course results do vary and the difference could be smaller or greater based on the appeal of the specific coin.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way I look at it is that at an auction, on average, a CAC/CACG gets retail and a PCGS/NGC without a sticker gets wholesale. Please don't ask me to define retail and wholesale.

• Options
    RayboRaybo Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

This hobby has gone cuckoo.
    Seems like people would rather drink the Kool-Aid than use their own judgement (if judgement still applies in coin collecting).

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. CACG w/CAC
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it weren’t for one, there wouldn’t be three. Reads like a deity to me.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 11:26PM

It seems a lot of dunces in RCI (holder game). Bunch of little stupidos making generalizations. A lot them here elevator does not go to the top.

Work your angle, buy low / sell high, don’t let them talk you down.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file