Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1969 Nolan Ryan PSA-10 in Heritage Auction…How Much?

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2024 4:53PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Opened early this afternoon with a starting bid of $20,000…it has blown by Heritage’s estimate of $80,000. As of this thread…it stands at $93,000! The POP is 3. What is your guess of the winning bid? I will say $250,000.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's going to be HUGE.

I think you're close at the $250K, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to $350.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2024 7:13PM

No clue Ill guess 142,000
    Whats the story on the 1967 and 1968 Football cello boxes. Back to back boxes sold. Did someone find a case of each? Never see those 2 years ever.

• Options

@handyman said:
    No clue Ill guess 142,000
    Whats the story on the 1967 and 1968 Football cello boxes. Back to back boxes sold. Did someone find a case of each? Never see those 2 years ever.

Consigner themselves or family had a hoard of unopened 60's and 70's unopened boxes including non-sports, 71 Topps cellos and test issues. There is a story somewhere.

• Options

Paul...

Holy Moly!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on an unreal unopened collection. Plus your '72s are unmatched. Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 12:29AM

I don't know what the '69 Ryan will go for, but it's a very weak 10. I feel like you need 3-D glasses to look at it, with it being so far out of register; as it is, it literally hurts my eyes to look at it. All the print dots/fisheyes don't help it either.

Personally, I'll stick with my PSA 9.....it is far-better looking :smiley:

Steve

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

Wow, another pool table being put to use!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@PaulMaul said:

Wow, another pool table being put to use!

71 rack pack in the corner pocket😀.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 7:16AM

Just to clarify, that stuff is (unfortunately) not mine. It is just photos that were posted by Heritage of the collection someone referenced above (or at least it is what I thought they were referencing).

• Options

Gotcha - that collection was unreal!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an amazing array of unopened. I would imagine staches like that are far more common that most would believe. Of both unopened and raw cards. so many old time collectors just accumulated and never became "part" of the hobby at large (internet, forums, social media etc.)

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

That 20% buyer's premium is gonna hurt on this one. Already at $16K extra.

• Options

@VaRedsFan said:

I agree. I will never buy cards from a place that wants to "tax" me an extra 20% just for the privilege of shopping there. crazy.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got to think that the Nolan goes for around $250k. a 1969 PSA 10 is on the grail, maybe not the holy grail, but the grail.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2024 6:43PM

His 1st solo card and with the Mets and the magical Miracle Mets of 1969…$250k sounds like a good guess. Since his 1977 in a PSA-10 recently sold at Heritage for $21.6k…why not, $250k?!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

WHy not? Just money.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    johfrjohfr Posts: 93 ✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 2:33PM

Someone once told me that my problem was that I think too small. Why are we thinking $250,000 for the Ryan. Why not $500,000?

• Options
    edited February 27, 2024 3:02PM

WOW. is the plaks wax box just a display box or a full box?
    OMG if a full box and that is awesome.
    Im guessing everything pictured are full boxes.

Just found this from google if not posted yet.
    https://sportscollectorsdaily.com/vintage-unopened-sports-card-find/

• Options

Anyone know if the 3 ‘69 Cellos with Ernie Banks sold? With 3 available maybe I could win one for my Banks collection. Not something on the radar but would be a really cool pack for me. Bet they are going through grading process.

• Options

THink HA sold it as a partial box missing just 1 pack.

• Options
    mcolney1mcolney1 Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

@VaRedsFan said:

Not an auction house guy, but I'm assuming Heritage bidders bid with the buyers premium in mind. $17,000 just to list and auction a card...seems like a great business model!

Collecting Topps, Philadelphia and Kellogg's from 1964-1989
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

All it takes is two whales who have to have it.

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 7:52PM

BP may be 17k but no way that is the take for the AH. Most of that will go to the buyer of they negotiated properly.

• Options

Candidly, I would not be surprised if the winning bid is $500K or more. It's not Ryan's rookie card, but it is the first Topps card picturing Ryan only.

• Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

If you stare at the Ryan name in yellow on that card, it will make your eyes sore and your wallet lighter...

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 93 ✭✭✭

Prolly will sell for less than a 2013 Travis Kelce where the foil didn't stick to the card

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2024 11:41AM

@johfr said:
    Someone once told me that my problem was that I think too small. Why are we thinking $250,000 for the Ryan. Why not $500,000?

We need to go big ish. How about..

• Options

@Groo said:
    Prolly will sell for less than a 2013 Travis Kelce where the foil didn't stick to the card

I bought that card for 35K! >:)

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I hope you bought that $100 one. That is a great looking card!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Buying a 10 of a card that has so many beautiful 7s, 8s, 9s, especially when it has that break in the top right border, it seems like folly to me... and just paying a substantial sum for a subjective sticker.

Most if not all 10s if submitted ten times come back less than a 10 more than half the time-- what does that say about putting so much stock in the grade? Here's the ten below beside a card that costs a couple hundred bucks. I don't see six digits of superior card in either card vs the other.

I'd prefer to have the same image in my collection (with very little, if any, difference in card quality) and put the difference toward something truly rare-- as opposed to rarity created by a subjective, one-time opinion. (Images below are from exact same scanner/settings and both backs are clean.)

Great advice Matt and agree 100%. Obviously to each his own, and having PSA 9’s and 10’s is great for the collection but not the wallet. These days I enjoy picking up a PSA 4-6 that looks like an 8.5/9 and using the extra funds to buy dozens more just like it with the savings.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@DM23HOF said:
    Buying a 10 of a card that has so many beautiful 7s, 8s, 9s, especially when it has that break in the top right border, it seems like folly to me... and just paying a substantial sum for a subjective sticker.

Most if not all 10s if submitted ten times come back less than a 10 more than half the time-- what does that say about putting so much stock in the grade? Here's the ten below beside a card that costs a couple hundred bucks. I don't see six digits of superior card in either card vs the other.

I'd prefer to have the same image in my collection (with very little, if any, difference in card quality) and put the difference toward something truly rare-- as opposed to rarity created by a subjective, one-time opinion. (Images below are from exact same scanner/settings and both backs are clean.)

Great advice Matt and agree 100%. Obviously to each his own, and having PSA 9’s and 10’s is great for the collection but not the wallet. These days I enjoy picking up a PSA 4-6 that looks like an 8.5/9 and using the extra funds to buy dozens more just like it with the savings.

As a collector of cards for my PC, I fully agree, though if potential returns down the road are a factor, the higher the grade the greater the appreciation (typically) over time for deserving examples.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:

@DM23HOF said:

Well, having seen their beauty, let’s amend that to “1956 Topps Mantle’s notwithstanding”

😉

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Great point on the 69 Ryan. I will always prefer a true rarity over a conditional one. Always.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 8, 2024 7:07AM

@grote15 said:

though if potential returns down the road are a factor, the higher the grade the greater the appreciation (typically) over time for deserving examples.

Further to craig44s point above, this can be true yet it is very dependent on the cards in question. For the difference between those two Ryans one could get low grade true rarities whose appreciation would best that of the Ryan. I've gotten two cards fairly recently that were mere 1.5s that have certainly outpaced the appreciation of cards like the PSA 10 Ryan and its ilk in barely a year. Other low grade cards that come to mind that would outpace 60s-70s PSA 10s are cards like the Fred Foto Ruth, 1917 Ruths, key signed cards of long-deceased icons, CJ Jackson and '14 Mathewson, 1925 Gehrig Exhibit, d304 Cobb, Tex Rickard Ruths, Cobb back red portrait, some Texas Tommies, etc. From a potential returns perspective I'd bet on those as their value lies more in their sheer existence, as opposed to a grader's opinion of them in one moment, that would surely change in another moment. Plus it gets more images in one's collection.

I also view the true rarities as safer, in the sense that they could hypothetically be crossed, the grade changed a bit in either direction, and their value is still very much there if not unchanged. In stark contrast, the value of the ultra high grade card is all in that sticker, so if anything happens to the grading service down the line, it's then a crapshoot.

• Options

@DM23HOF said:

@grote15 said:

though if potential returns down the road are a factor, the higher the grade the greater the appreciation (typically) over time for deserving examples.

Further to craig44s point above, this can be true yet it is very dependent on the cards in question. For the difference between those two Ryans one could get low grade true rarities whose appreciation would best that of the Ryan. I've gotten two cards fairly recently that were mere 1.5s that have certainly outpaced the appreciation of cards like the PSA 10 Ryan and its ilk in barely a year. Other low grade cards that come to mind that would outpace 60s-70s PSA 10s are cards like the Fred Foto Ruth, 1917 Ruths, key signed cards of long-deceased icons, CJ Jackson and '14 Mathewson, 1925 Gehrig Exhibit, d304 Cobb, Tex Rickard Ruths, Cobb back red portrait, some Texas Tommies, etc. From a potential returns perspective I'd bet on those as their value lies more in their sheer existence, as opposed to a grader's opinion of them in one moment, that would surely change in another moment. Plus it gets more images in one's collection.

I also view the true rarities as safer, in the sense that they could hypothetically be crossed, the grade changed a bit in either direction, and their value is still very much there if not unchanged. In stark contrast, the value of the ultra high grade card is all in that sticker, so if anything happens to the grading service down the line, it's then a crapshoot.

I like your point about sheer existence and true rarities!

I think it's important to point out that almost all of the cards mentioned in this thread are very expensive and are much more than most of us can afford.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

@grote15 said:

Agreed. Those cards you listed are on a completely different level and with super high values in any grade and unattainable to all but a very small, well-heeled percentage of collectors. 1969 Topps (or any mainstream issues from that era) are not comparable.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@KendallCat said:

@DM23HOF said:

Well, having seen their beauty, let’s amend that to “1956 Topps Mantle’s notwithstanding”

😉

Thank you for the nice comment and will agree - though I am a bit biased on the 56 Mantle. That card is kind of like the hot girl you know you should not go out with due to some other issues she has, but you still take the bait every time and fall for it 😉 I am pretty sure once I secure a nice 8.5 again of the 56 I will be done and sit back with my handful of them and move onto the next done. 56 for me is the “hot girl”.