Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard a collector say?

Comments

• Options

Buy the holder not the coin

Finally an independent site that sells coins with no hassle. Just like your local coin store! Jay Coin Shop

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buy the cricket, not the coin.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I'm going to buy [Insert Expensive Rare Coins here] as an investment and sell it for several times what I paid when I hit retirement age"... or something like that...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    "I'm going to buy [Insert Expensive Rare Coins here] as an investment and sell it for several times what I paid when I hit retirement age"... or something like that...

That is not funny.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:
    Buy the cricket, not the coin.

I wonder where that slab is now? Did a forum member buy it? :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guy shows a recently broken coin to a dealer, removed from a plastic sandwich bag

“Do you think I can glue this back together and sell it?”

Dealer shakes his head and says it’s not worth it.

Guy dejectedly puts the sandwich bag and broken coin back into his pants pocket

Dumb things I’ve said or thought-
    “Honey, do you think I should bid on this?”
    “The damage isn’t that bad…”
    “Forgot I had one already”
    “No way I’m losing this”

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

Collector asks me what I want for a particular coin. I give him a number. He asks for an additional five dollars off.

My response is always, “that five dollars isn’t going to make or break either one of us.” When I quote a price, that’s the price.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@Tonedeaf said:
    I can stop buying coins any time I want.

This is true, I've stopped dozens of times.

I stop each day right before bedtime. :D

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@lkenefic said:

That is not funny.

Not funny, but it is rather dumb... which is what was specified in the OP.

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:

@DisneyFan said:

@lkenefic said:

That is not funny.

It didn't seem so dumb back in 1974 when collectors read the 208 pages of Bowers' "High Profits from Rare Coin Investment" and later versions.

Unfortunately, the coin market has had it's ups and downs.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 11, 2024 11:50AM

A guy asked a price for a slabbed PCGS 65 Oregon. / I replied two fifty ($250) - he put $2.50 on the table. I told him to get lost.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

All my coins have "full mint bloom"

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinshop said:
    Buy the holder not the coin

Buy the CAC not the coin.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2024 6:21AM

There was another that explicitly stated that cracking any CAC coin hoping for an upgrade was tantamount to committing fraud.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

I Cannot Grade, I’ll stick to ICG slabs.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@lkenefic said:

@DisneyFan said:

@lkenefic said:

That is not funny.

It didn't seem so dumb back in 1974 when collectors read the 208 pages of Bowers' "High Profits from Rare Coin Investment" and later versions.

Unfortunately, the coin market has had it's ups and downs.

Those were my early collecting days and I was quite young. Fast forward some 50 years and coins as a retirement investment just seems a little ill-advised. My approach to this hobby is that it's largely disposable income for me fuelling it. .. part of my Entertainment budget. I'm enjoying my coins while I have them, and I'll likely sell off some in the future to fund other numismatic projects but I'm under no illusion that my coin collection is going to sustain me in retirement.

• Options

@lkenefic said:

I'm enjoying my coins while I have them, and I'll likely sell off some in the future to fund other numismatic projects but I'm under no illusion that my coin collection is going to sustain me in retirement.

Glad you are enjoying it.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry! Gotta go home and polish me cracs stickers.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

After being shown a genuine Trade Dollar with all weights measured by a dealer with 40+ years in the business, the visitor coming in with a counterfeit storms out shouting "you don't know your trade!"

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    PriceknightPriceknight Posts: 7
    edited February 13, 2024 9:54PM

I just bought some “un-searched” shotgun rolls!

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    It's not what they say, it's how they look. 🤣 Sorry, couldn't resist! 😉

Gotta go, my parole officer is at the door.

Just say "NO" to crack... ing coins out of PCGS holders... :wink:

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 3:00PM

Me at my coin first show - me, to dealer while holding a washed out, lifeless looking, white 1914-S Barber half at his booth - "is this coin original (not cleaned)."

Dealer to me - "yes".

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 4:24PM

I witnessed a novice collector who was looking at a 1923 Peace Dollar's $1975 price tag (NGC Star with rare, wild color) ask: "Is that the year it was made?" :D

Maybe not "stupid" but VERY NAIVE.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    I witnessed a novice collector who was looking at a 1923 Peace Dollar's $1975 price tag (NGC Star with rare, wild color) ask: "Is that the year it was made?" :D

He just wanted to make sure it wasn't a more recent restrike. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@Walkerfan said:

He just wanted to make sure it wasn't a more recent restrike. ;)

Okay, we'll go with that! LOL :D

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    CoinCoinsCoinCoins Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

a couple years ago a guy told me he saves every state quarter he gets so he can leave them for his grandkids

i was like yeah that's really smart

• Options
    bretsanbretsan Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

@Tonedeaf said:
    I can stop buying coins any time I want.

Lol, guilty as charged

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Do you sell coins here?"

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    It's not what they say, it's how they look. 🤣 Sorry, couldn't resist! 😉

Gotta go, my parole officer is at the door.

Crack kills!!!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

He comes up to dealer table - tries to dictate price like he’s a know it all. Just tell him: that’s the lowest the consignor will go. Works like a charm

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

I hope it's nothing I ever said... >_<

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    Do you sell coins here

Nope! We're running a museum...and all the coins just so happen to have price tags on them! And those coin books and albums over there is our gift shop! Here's your sign...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5ZkdHImCuQ

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    He comes up to dealer table - tries to dictate price like he’s a know it all. Just tell him: that’s the lowest the consignor will go. Works like a charm

So lie, instead of being truthful and just saying you don’t want to sell for less. Thanks for the advice, but I’ll pass.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@telephoto1 said:

It's a legitimate question for those dealers who have the same coins month after month after month....... :D

If true, then he's still just a hobbyist and not a real dealer.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@telephoto1 said:

It's a legitimate question for those dealers who have the same coins month after month after month....... :D

I'm going to a smallish local show today and this would be an excellent and legitimate question to ask.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:

So lie, instead of being truthful and just saying you don’t want to sell for less. Thanks for the advice, but I’ll pass.

Mark - Have you ever had a potential buyer keep chiseling even after you told them vey clearly that you don't want to sell for any less? I have, and it gets old pretty quickly.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

Mark - Have you ever had a potential buyer keep chiseling even after you told them very clearly that you don't want to sell for any less? I have, and it gets old pretty quickly.

Agree. Happens all the time. They'll ask "what's your best price?" I tell them, and they'll still come back at me with a lower offer. I usually reply "You just asked me for my best price and $x is my best price. If you don't want it, that's fine but that's my net." I swear to God there are some folks who you could quote half of market value and they'd still counter you. Every dealer's had this happen at some point and knows they're a waste of time.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Mark - Have you ever had a potential buyer keep chiseling even after you told them vey clearly that you don't want to sell for any less? I have, and it gets old pretty quickly.

Of course, Andy and I agree, but I still held firm in a truthful manner.
    One time, many years ago, a dealer looked at a coin I had for sale and asked for my “best price”. I quoted my best price. Over the course of the next day and a half, he countered three different times and each time I declined. I finally told him I understood that he didn’t know me, but when I give my “best price”, that’s really my best price. He finally bought the coin at the original “best price” I’d quoted.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

@MrEureka said:

Mark - Have you ever had a potential buyer keep chiseling even after you told them very clearly that you don't want to sell for any less? I have, and it gets old pretty quickly.

Agree. Happens all the time. They'll ask "what's your best price?" I tell them, and they'll still come back at me with a lower offer. I usually reply "You just asked me for my best price and $x is my best price. If you don't want it, that's fine but that's my net." I swear to God there are some folks who you could quote half of market value and they'd still counter you. Every dealer's had this happen at some point and knows they're a waste of time.

When you ask a coin dealer for his best price, how often does that dealer actually give you his best price?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:

When a coin is a nice coin; but, average for the grade, is a buyer really chiseling a dealer who has had a coin for a long time and the coin is 1 1/2X to 2Xs the price guide?

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@telephoto1 said:

@MrEureka said:

When you ask a coin dealer for his best price, how often does that dealer actually give you his best price?

When someone asks me what my best price is, I assume they want my best price...so I tell them. I don't play games and I don't like others who want to play games with me. If they don't like my best price...oh well. I have other coins. And other buyers.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

I was selling off part of my 7070 a little over 10 years ago and had a bunch of coins on the BST. I had someone interested in a Half Cent and gave him my "best price", which apparently wasn't low enough. I was then getting several IM's a day from him trying to talk me down further. I can't recall if I actually capitulated and sold it to him, or if another buyer came along, but I do remember the seemingly endless barrage of messages... for like... $20, $25??

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

"This a rare Lincoln cent with no mint mark..."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file