Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Warning of Robberies in Maryland (Update for 2/24/24 Maryland Show)

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 25, 2024 10:42AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A dealer who had setup at the Hunt Valley show was followed home and his home robbed after he unloaded his vehicle. The next week, another dealer who setup at the Timonium show was followed home and robbed in the driveway. Both dealers think there was a tracking device placed on their vehicle. I do not have any additional information.
At the Hagerstown, MD show today (Saturday, 24 February 2024) Security identified a suspicious vehicle at the show. Later, one of the dealers observed the car, a white Honda with Maryland license plates following them in Cumberland, MD which is a distance of 55-60 miles. The dealer pulled into the Cumberland Police Department and reported the vehicle following him. The police department pulled the suspicious car over and ID'd the vehicle and persons. They could not be charged with anything as all they had was the dealer's word the car was following him. If Cumberland PD will release the names of the persons, and the license plate number, our security team will have it next week.
Security at the show scanned all the departing vendor's vehicles for trackers and informed them to be aware of the suspicious vehicle.
The Hagerstown Show is not my show, but they use the same security detail.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭

This warning is not just for dealers ... and trackers are not required to followed home

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man this stuff is very scary!

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    And this warning is for anyone, anywhere, driving home or elsewhere from a show.

This is also true if one is coming from a bank or from an ATM machine.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scary - I check rear view mirror, etc but that’s really scary. I would advise as soon home move inventory inside asap. How do you check for tracker on car?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MICHAELDIXON said:
    We will be purchasing an Under Vehicle Inspection Mirror - 12 Inch Convex Search Mirror with Wheels and LED Light for Security in case any dealers leaving the Gettysburg show would like their car checked for tracking devices. Does anybody have any experience with, and can recommend, a certain brand or type?

That sounds like a great idea!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are short turtorial videos on how to use these- as there are nooks and crannies that are easy to miss using these mirrors.
    (It isn't like on TV shows where you see the opperator simply swipe the mirror back and forth like it was some type of metal detector looking for rings in the sand.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

These trackers are small and use a rare earth magnet so any iron surface will do. Gotta look carefully. Good luck and be safe. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest armed security in the parking lot on patrol.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    lobo54lobo54 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

All of the above suggestions are great , but if they want what you've got they will find a way. For instance., using two cars with cell phones and a "lookout" in the parking lot, you could be followed by the 2nd car parked down the street. Then the "lookout" car could quickly meet up and vuwalla your being followed buy 2 or possibly more cars with none of them in continuous pursuit.
    With the amount of gold, silver and cash being carried by some dealers, this theory ain't all that far fetched. My2¢

I would rather join with an army of sheep led by a lion, than an army of lions led by sheep.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:

@MFeld said:
    And this warning is for anyone, anywhere, driving home or elsewhere from a show.

This is also true if one is coming from a bank or from an ATM machine.

Good advice, but at the risk of being pedantic ATM machine is redundant as is VIN number.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they never announce the rate of prosecution per instance of robbery. This low number would be an invite to even more events.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2024 10:42AM

At the Hagerstown, MD show today (Saturday, 24 February 2024) Security identified a suspicious vehicle at the show. Later, one of the dealers observed the car, a white Honda with Maryland license plates following them in Cumberland, MD which is a distance of 55-60 miles. The dealer pulled into the Cumberland Police Department and reported the vehicle following him. The police department pulled the suspicious car over and ID'd the vehicle and persons. They could not be charged with anything as all they had was the dealer's word the car was following him. If Cumberland PD will release the names of the persons, and the license plate number, our security team will have it next week.
    Security at the show scanned all the departing vendor's vehicles for trackers and informed them to be aware of the suspicious vehicle.
    The Hagerstown Coin Show is promoted by Interstate Coin Club.

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do these pick up Airtags or Smarttags that work off of near by smart phones by pinging their locations? I think there are apps that can advise u if your phone is being ping constantly ... thus u are traveling with one of these tags.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file