Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is this oily subtance in the slab??

BigMuttBigMutt Posts: 8
edited February 13, 2024 5:28PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I just bought this card and was shocked at these wet marks. I did some research and it could be newton rings? Is this newton rings??

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2024 5:54PM

It could be Newton Rings, though it looks a bit different than most I have seen. They usually have a “rainbow” appearance.

That explanation would make sense if the card has some kind of plastic finish to it, as the rings come from two plastic surfaces pressing against each other.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newton rings..

Take the fixing process for what it is worth in this video.

https://youtu.be/bqd7PeQXJC8?si=wzYMjPMZ56NyX2Hw

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Very good as long as you don't damage the card.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pdoidoi said:

I would just leave as is. Even if you “fix” the current rings more will certainly appear over time.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigMutt said:
    I just bought this card and was shocked at these wet marks. I did some research and it could be newton rings?

Is this newton rings??

Yes, you’ve got it: Newton rings.

There’s no concern as it’s not ‘wet’ or ‘oily’ but just an annoyance. There’s not any risk to the well being of the card as far as I know.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Yep, Newton's Rings happen frequently with "shiny" surface cards when the card is touching the interior of the case. Also happens very often with graded comic books.

Many think it is damage or something on the surface of the card, but it is just an optical illusion. It is not damage or anything on the surface of the card.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definitely ruined beyond repair and you should send it to me so I can properly dispose of it. >:)

• Options

@NGS428 said:
    Newton rings..

Take the fixing process for what it is worth in this video.

https://youtu.be/bqd7PeQXJC8?si=wzYMjPMZ56NyX2Hw

I tried this out and I got some spots off the top lol! but the middle rings are stubborn and after a few minutes of hitting my leg which got red I got nervous about smacking the card so I stopped

• Options

@NGS428 said:

@pdoidoi said:

I would just leave as is. Even if you “fix” the current rings more will certainly appear over time.

Yeah Im thinking of leaving it , so I guess if I get it re-slabbed than theres a good chance they would appear again

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@BigMutt said:
    I just bought this card and was shocked at these wet marks. I did some research and it could be newton rings?

Is this newton rings??

There’s no concern as it’s not ‘wet’ or ‘oily’ but just an annoyance. There’s not any risk to the well being of the card as far as I know.

Crazy that it> @SmithAuctionCo said:

Yep, Newton's Rings happen frequently with "shiny" surface cards when the card is touching the interior of the case. Also happens very often with graded comic books.

Many think it is damage or something on the surface of the card, but it is just an optical illusion. It is not damage or anything on the surface of the card.

So as far as cards go is this just a PSA slab thing??? or does it happen with other slabs??

• Options

@BigMutt said:

Is this newton rings??

Crazy that it looks like that , I was doing some research and have seen some cards that have them all over it

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:
    It's definitely ruined beyond repair and you should send it to me so I can properly dispose of it. >:)

LOL!!!

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

@BigMutt said:

Is this newton rings??

PSA has an article about this. I had a card with the rings. Sent it for re-holdering and all has been good.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason I don’t really collect shiny stuff.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:

But with an oddball item, PSA can add a mylar insert which could cause Newton rings with your non-shiny stuff.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@DBesse27 said:

But with an oddball item, PSA can add a mylar insert which could cause Newton rings with your non-shiny stuff.

Also true and I hate the Mylar sleeves, but luckily none of mine have the rings.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

I dont know if I responded > @jraytay said:

@BigMutt said:

Is this newton rings??

PSA has an article about this. I had a card with the rings. Sent it for re-holdering and all has been good.

Did you just send it in or did you email them first? shipping from canada is going to be pricey for me I think.

• Options

@BigMutt said:
    I dont know if I responded > @jraytay said:

@BigMutt said:

Is this newton rings??

Did you just send it in or did you email them first? shipping from canada is going to be pricey for me I think.

I guess im wondering if they covered any of the cost

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

Yes. PSA did cover the cost of re holdering and also the return shipping. Possibly because they knew it was an issue and would make good on a re holder though only if requested. I sent them pics with an explanation. This was in 2021.

• Options

Sheez
    Here i thought someone 'sneezed' on it during slabbing.
    It could be worse tho :#

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • Options
    GrooGroo Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

@BigMutt said:

@BigMutt said:

Is this newton rings??

Crazy that it> @SmithAuctionCo said:

So as far as cards go is this just a PSA slab thing??? or does it happen with other slabs??

In varying degrees Newton Rings occurs all the time with CGC comic slabs but virtually never with CBCS comic slabs. CBCS slabs in bulk probably cost a tiny fraction of a cent more, thereby the differrance