Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New frosty pickup. Update - new photos posted

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 10, 2024 4:40PM in U.S. Coin Forum

1953 hazy proof quarter that needs a bath. Under the haze are mirrored fields and frosted devices.

Comments

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should bathe well.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The images are really good and I'm not being sarcastic.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent!
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options

Update.

I gave the quarter a bath to remove the haze. It looks better.

The devices are heavily frosted, maybe even DCAM in quality. However, the fields are not deeply mirrored; and the fields have numerous hairlines that will limit the grade to a 63 or maybe a 64.

I bought the 1953 proof set containing the quarter solely due to the quarter. When I removed the quarter to give it a bath I looked at the other coins. To my surprise the half dollar is one that has no hairlines. It is brilliant and IMO should grade at least a 67.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice quarter Kevin. Show us post bath photos.

• Options

Here are after bath photos of the quarter, plus photos of the hairline free half dollar.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one!

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭

That Washington came out pretty nice. What did you dip in? Diluted, straight?

imageimage

• Options

A quick dip in diluted ezest, followed by a long dousing with cold water to wash off all of the ezest. Then pat dry with a paper towel, including rolling the coin on its edge on the paper towel to dry the reading. Then back into the capital holder for temporary storage.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2024 6:15PM

Ah, a minimal suggestion: swap the paper towel for a high nap white cotton towel....Sulfates used in towel production potentially could solubilize into residual water, even microscopic on coin surface...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Further suggestion- Use distilled water rinse and you can skip touching the coin with anything. Just let it air dry. Or if you must speed the process, a cotton swab can "suck up" the water beads left on a coin after rinsing.
    The "stuff" on the left obverse of both look to be from the paper towel drying process.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

ChrisH821.

The "stuff" you see on the left obverse of the quarter in the post dip photo unfortunately are multiple hairlines that will limit the grade of the coin. The presence of these hairlines means that this coin will remain raw as the coin does not have enough value to warrant the cost of grading.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's unfortunate... it will at least look nice in a put-together set if you have similar coins.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file