Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let’s play Did it CAC!!!

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 7, 2024 8:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Come on down and take a guess! Guess the grade
Overton and CAC!

I submitted these at FUN and they were shipped in two weeks! 😃 but 3 weeks after that I just received them 😑 that’s a new record for me for registered shipping.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 7, 2024 8:15PM

@TomB @Herb_T

You’ve got to guess the grade and then guess if it CACed… just like the other thread.

The 36 was an oops

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 12:04AM

Neither - AT. A friend sent in 20 toners to sticker, none did. At a show his table near me he did move most of them however. Watch those toners lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2024 4:19AM

@Barberian said:
    Nope. Without listing grades one cannot tell if a coin was overgraded or undergraded by the TPGs, and that is HUGE problem here.

For example - very, very choice but the coin was overgraded - that happens often with really nice coins - it will not CAC (have shown to JA in the CAC board and he asked 'Where's the E"). This coin will eventually go to CACG for crossing. PCGS actually defended the overgrade (choice coin) on this board over 10 years ago in a thread started by someone else who was upset that their coin (F15 55-S) didn't grade as high as this 54-O and a choice for the grade 55-O in VF25.

Here's what I believe is a dipped, retoned coin with a few hairlines but one MUST KNOW the grade to determine if it may sticker. In this case, this coin is pushing EF40. The seller's photo is poor. I need a TV for this coin. I wasn't crazy about this coin when I purchased it, but I could not pass it up for the price ($1100). After learning how beat up these 52-Os are usually found, I've come to like this coin as choice for the date.

TLDR

We just did this in two other threads and it was fun.

As a matter fact many were very close in this thread.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1100315/another-cbh-guess-the-grade-game-just-because-reveal-in-post-16#latest

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 5:51AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Neither - AT. A friend sent in 20 toners to sticker, none did. At a show his table near me he did move most of them however. Watch those toners lol.

You're 0 for 2. Your friend's results have zero bearing on these coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 7:00AM

Most of those coins look original to me and choice AU, probably 58 or so. I don't think any of them graded over AU58 and then cac could well have given the thumbs up. It's known that PCGS is more likely to grade Bust material, half dollars here and cents conservatively than NGC.

• Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    2. 1836 O-will check later 55, CAC
    3. 1810 O-109a 53, no CAC (just switching it up, I could see it with a sticker)
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

We literally had the same game in pursuitofliberty's thread earlier this week :| Everyone who has been complaining about "needing the grades" should go check out the thread linked a few comments above.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

We literally had the same game in pursuitofliberty's thread earlier this week :| Everyone who has been complaining about "needing the grades" should go check out the thread linked a few comments above.

Even if they were fun, having had similar threads doesn’t necessarily mean that they make a lot of sense. It’s like guessing what grade PCGS or NGC assigned a coin and then opining whether you think the grade was on the money. What’s the point? Anyone can start out with whatever grade they want and then say the grade was accurate, too high or too low.

As just one example, if a coin looks like a 63, among other possibilities, someone could guess 63 no sticker, 63 sticker, 61 gold sticker, 64 (or higher) overgraded and so on.
    Bottom line, the first part of the guess (the grade) will largely determine the second guess (sticker or no sticker).
    If you care about giving meaning to the thread, provide the grade at the outset and then ask for sticker guesses. Otherwise, proceed and have fun.

It makes sense to me. The whole point of GTG is to guess the grade, right? So you can also give your best guess on whether it has a sticker, right?

If you don't want to guess your opinion on the grade and CAC sticker, posting a comment complaining about it doesn't solve anything ;)

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Even if they were fun, having had similar threads doesn’t necessarily mean that they make a lot of sense. It’s like guessing what grade PCGS or NGC assigned a coin and then opining whether you think the grade was on the money. What’s the point? Anyone can start out with whatever grade they want and then say the grade was accurate, too high or too low.

As just one example, if a coin looks like a 63, among other possibilities, someone could guess 63 no sticker, 63 sticker, 61 gold sticker, 64 (or higher) overgraded and so on.
    Bottom line, the first part of the guess (the grade) will largely determine the second guess (sticker or no sticker).
    If you care about giving meaning to the thread, provide the grade at the outset and then ask for sticker guesses. Otherwise, proceed and have fun.

I think proceed and have fun was the whole point and anyone that thinks it “doesn’t make sense” or wonders “what’s the point” doesn’t need to do it.

It’s a game. See if you can guess what PCGS graded the coin and if CAC thought the coin was worthy of a sticker at that grade.

The thread has meaning regardless of whether or not it fits a rigid description of how to proceed with guessing grades. There aren’t standard operating procedures for these things.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love bust halves and pinning donkey tails!!!!!

1811: AU-53 CAC
    1836: AU-55 CAC
    1810: AU-55 NO CAC
    1823: AU-53 NO CAC

The 1810 and 1823 are a little too bright for my taste, so I guess they didn't CAC. The 1811 and 1836 have a little more crust to them.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t know the series but I’ll play
    1) 58 CAC
    2) no idea
    3) 53
    4) 55 CAC

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is not a GTG thread. The title of the thread is "Did it CAC." The CAC sticker is a function of a) The assigned grade and b) other visual characteristics or defects. We're missing at least half of the necessary information.

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I'm not good at guessing. I like the clash marks on the 1811 half and the toning.

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    This is not a GTG thread. The title of the thread is "Did it CAC." The CAC sticker is a function of a) The assigned grade and b) other visual characteristics or defects. We're missing at least half of the necessary information.

I promise you’ll be ok if you do both.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

@ProofCollection said:

OK, I'll put it another way: How does one judge if a coin is "solid for the grade" without knowing the grade assigned by the TPG?

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@Pnies20 said:

@ProofCollection said:

OK, I'll put it another way: How does one judge if a coin is "solid for the grade" without knowing the grade assigned by the TPG?

Easily - you assign the grade and then decide whether the coin is solid for the grade you assigned.😁

😉😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

My personal opinion/preference would be two separate threads:

Thread #1 - GTG
    Thread #2 - Did it sticker at the assigned grade?

Tim

• Options

@MFeld said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Pnies20 said:

@ProofCollection said:

Easily - you assign the grade and then decide whether the coin is solid for the grade you assigned.😁

😉😉

Pretty much......

Any more questions?

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everything else aside I love the 1811.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@cheezhed said:
    Everything else aside I love the 1811.

Thank you. It is from the Pittman sale in 1996. One of my favorite coins

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    My personal opinion/preference would be two separate threads:

Thread #1 - GTG
    Thread #2 - Did it sticker at the assigned grade?

Tim

I would even go further and mention keep it to one example per thread.
    Once I saw 4 pcs, it was over for me at least.
    But maybe that's just me

• Options

🤦‍♂️

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Agree. This is silly.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 3:27PM

Why not have the following:
    “Guess the result of the auction - did I bid, did I win and at what price?”
    “Guess the result of the coin show - did I go, did I see anything I needed, did I buy it, and how much was a hot dog and a soda?”
    Etc.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 3:38PM

@RYK said:

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Agree. This is silly.

No. I can’t help but feel embarrassed for you all for not being able to deal with this thread.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Agree. This is silly.

No. I can’t help but feel embarrassed for you all for not being able to deal with this thread.

Guess the date of the penny I may have found on the bathroom floor? LOL

In all seriousness, you can be embarrassed for yourself, and maybe you should be for starting this inane thread, maybe embarrassed for a family member or close friend, but not for some stranger on the internet.

• Options

@RYK said:

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Agree. This is silly.

In all seriousness, you can be embarrassed for yourself, and maybe you should be for starting this inane thread, maybe embarrassed for a family member or close friend, but not for some stranger on the internet.

You’re being very dramatic. It’s a guess the grade thread. That was my only point. Guess or don’t but please don’t hijack my thread. Thanks

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Agree. This is silly.

You’re being very dramatic. It’s a guess the grade thread. That was my only point. Guess or don’t but please don’t hijack my thread. Thanks

Ok, here goes:

1. AU 50 CAC
    2. AU 53 No CAC
    3. No grade AT - not submitted to CAC (tricky, good one!)
    4. XF-45 CAC Gold
  • Options

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Agree. This is silly.

No, it's not a GTG thread. The title is "...Did it CAC?"
    Which as others have pointed out, is an asinine question if you are asking people to GTG. Unless anyone here readily admits or thinks they grade more generously or differently than JA, why would anyone guess a grade that they didn't think JA/CAC would agree with?

• Options
    edited February 8, 2024 4:31PM

I thought it was very interesting everyone that actually guessed thought the 1810 O-109a was higher than a 45. I certainly agree. This is the latest state possible , a 109.5 and is always very weakly struck with few dentils and clashing. The luster is befitting of a 53. PCGS certainly took the strike into consideration. Also I believe this is the only 1810 O-109a with a CAC sticker.

The 1811 O-103a Large 8, as I stated earlier, is from the Pittman sale in 1996 and sold for $715. I understand why it didn’t CAC. I believe the wide flatly struck curls influenced the decision. Ex-Keigwin.

The broken 3 is accurately graded as a 50 and has a bit of chatter which is why it didn’t CAC. Understandable. It is, however, a very choice red book variety.

The 36, another Ex-Keigwin is perfect for a 53. Super original with blue luster. It is a tough O-120 R4 bar dot. Very pleased it CACed. This is also the only of its variety CACed.

• Options
    DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horribly OT . . .but related to the OP first paragraph.

I just paid for expedited 2-Day Registered to CAC from Salt Lake. Took 15 days to get there. Thanks USPS.

Drunner

• Options

@DRUNNER said:

I just paid for expedited 2-Day Registered to CAC from Salt Lake. Took 15 days to get there. Thanks USPS.

Drunner

Your comment is very welcome. Glad it made it.

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2024 4:54PM

While I agree with the various comments on the oddity of the game, it is @Pnies20 topic and ! comes to mind :D

Anyway after all that
    58 CAC
    55 CAC
    55 Gold CAC
    55 No CAC

• Options
    edited February 10, 2024 9:41AM

@ProofCollection said:

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@Pnies20 said:

@RYK said:

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

Agree. This is silly.

No, it's not a GTG thread. The title is "...Did it CAC?"
    Which as others have pointed out, is an asinine question if you are asking people to GTG. Unless anyone here readily admits or thinks they grade more generously or differently than JA, why would anyone guess a grade that they didn't think JA/CAC would agree with?

Who would waste precious time out of their day whining about a thread that clearly is made for fun?

A little surprised how that 1810 CACed being that bright, probably was solely based on the luster and lower grade assigned.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I grade both AG3 with a GOLD Sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@GRANDAM said:
    I grade both AG3 with a GOLD Sticker!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fine... but there are 4 coins....

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DRUNNER said:

Drunner

Sorry to hear this but in my experience "expedited" and "registered" should never be used in the same sentence. I use Priority Mail (for the shipping carton) and Registered Mail (for the lower insurance costs) together as well but Registered Mail trumps any expedited service.

Tim

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2024 7:00AM

@Pnies20 said:

@MFeld said:

@Davidk7 said:
    1. 1811 O-103 55, CAC
    4. 1823 O-101 53 CAC

I think proceed and have fun was the whole point and anyone that thinks it “doesn’t make sense” or wonders “what’s the point” doesn’t need to do it.

It’s a game. See if you can guess what PCGS graded the coin and if CAC thought the coin was worthy of a sticker at that grade.

The thread has meaning regardless of whether or not it fits a rigid description of how to proceed with guessing grades. There aren’t standard operating procedures for these things.

Guessing the grade is not the same as asking whether a graded coin be CAC approved. Two entirely different tasks. One is an estimate of grade, the other is a comparison against an assigned grade.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2024 8:37AM

@jacrispies said:

@MFeld said:

@ProofCollection said:

@Pnies20 said:

@ProofCollection said:

😉😉

Pretty much......

Any more questions?

Congrats, you can grade! That is not relevant to a comparison against an actual assigned grade. Now go find a graded coin and assess it for quality just like the sticker boys do instead of playing GTG.

Apologies for beating a dead horse.

• Options

@Barberian said:

Congrats, you can grade! That is not relevant to a comparison against an actual assigned grade. Now go find a graded coin and assess it for quality just like the sticker boys do instead of playing GTG.

It is very relevant because grading is guessing what the TPG called it. Grading by different standards that are not universal is entirely useless and benefits no one.

I examine hundreds of graded coins per day, learning exactly how TPGs grade each series. These GTG are for fun. You are taking this way too seriously!

Conversation over. Waste your time elsewhere.

• Options

I'll waste it here, thanks. I'm having too much fun punching holes in poor logic.

This isn't about grading skills. Play whatever games you want with the skills you have. It's about the proper logical comparison between the coin and the grade assigned to that coin, to get CAC approval. You have to know the assigned grade.

OK. Horse is now pudding.

• Options
    edited February 9, 2024 11:37AM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file