Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fabulous February Finds...Let's See Yours!

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hankcaddy The ‘73 Deron Johnson is a very tough 9! 👍

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 12:48PM

@hankcaddy said:

Wow, two '73 PSA 9 Deron Johnson pick-ups in the past few weeks! I just picked up this one for my 1973 set. It just passed eBay Authentication and is enroute.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭

That may not be perfect, but the vibrant colors on that make up for any imperfection. Super-sweet!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Ted Williams looks great in that holder, personally I would leave it.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Sold my Rickey 1980 PSA 9 and with same dough bought this. It’s not perfect, however pretty high grade for a 51 Bowman. Would you send in for reholder?

Awesome card and I would swap a Rickey RC for that every time!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

@hankcaddy said:

Wow, two '73 PSA 9 Deron Johnson pick-ups in the past few weeks! I just picked up this one for my 1973 set. It just passed eBay Authentication and is enroute.

And there are only 21 9s!

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 513 ✭✭✭

@MantleFan23 said:
    My dad passed away a little over two years ago. One of his favorite players was Thurman Munson. I remember when I was a kid in the 80s when he told me the story of Thurman dying in a plane accident and when he cried during the ceremony the Yankees held the next day. I didn't understand until I was older why my Dad would cry about a player that he never knew personally.

My dad never got around to starting his Munson set, so I thought I'd do it in his memory. I picked up these cards in February. The 1971 Munson when it comes to baseball cards, really does not get any better, the trophy, the action shot, and the black borders. While a PSA8 is probably out of range for now, I found this really nice centered PSA7 recently. Arriving the same day was his 1974 topps card in PSA8 as well. I wish I could show them to him. However, it is great having this board to share my collection with.

Display them proudly, I'm sure your dad can see them.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:

@hankcaddy said:

If this were the 80s Deron Johnson would make the Beckett Monthly Hot List. Congrats on the pickups.

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@gemint said:

@hankcaddy said:

And PSA Price Guide for PSA9 '73 Deron Johnson is......$20. :D

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@dan89 said:
    Sold my Rickey 1980 PSA 9 and with same dough bought this. It’s not perfect, however pretty high grade for a 51 Bowman. Would you send in for reholder?

Great decision. Great card.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the Deion and the Griffey!! Nice!!

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@gemint said:

@hankcaddy said:

I've submitted several high grade examples and could never snag a 9.

• Options
    jraytayjraytay Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Mail day for Daniel! A couple of '66 Topps High Numbers. I started collecting the Hi series in July 2022 - down to only needing 4 now.

66 high #s are a challenge. The Grant Jackson and Gaylord Perry are really tough in top condition. Took me 2 years to complete the set back in the 80s. All raw but a fun time. What other 4 do you need and what condition are you looking for?

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a 1986 Topps rack box directly from a sealed case that was missing the All-Star card in the first cell on all but just a few of the racks in that box. The other 5 boxes all had their All-Star cards. Never seen a missing cell, though.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Good mail day!
    Anyone ever see a rack with an empty cell?

that's my 1st time seeing an empty cell...Pretty Cool...if that Rack was my mine; I'd be making a phone call to schedule some Wrapping time, then take a 50 minute road trip and have that Rack Wrapped...then take a pic of the Wrapped Rack and post up that image on the monthly Pick-Up topic... :)

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭

@ BBBrkrr

Nice trio. Congrats on the sub.

• Options

@BBBrkrr awesome Aaron!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Good mail day!

that's my 1st time seeing an empty cell...Pretty Cool...if that Rack was my mine; I'd be making a phone call to schedule some Wrapping time, then take a 50 minute road trip and have that Rack Wrapped...then take a pic of the Wrapped Rack and post up that image on the monthly Pick-Up topic... :)

Ripped it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:

@JoeBanzai said:
    Just purchased this one, hasn't arrived yet.

Hard to believe how much rarer this is than the Topps counterpart.

Wowza Joe! That is a blazer of a PSA 9….looks so close to GEM MINT. Great purchase…congrats.

Card arrived today. Miniscule white showing on top edge at right corner. Any card with white borders, gets a 10.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    I am a BIG Munson fan too. That guy was just the coolest. I love getting his cards too. He didn't get to play long, but has some of the most iconic cards from all the 70s.

That 78 is one of my all-time favorites.

For many collectors, even non NYY fans, the 1971, 1973, 1976 and 1978 are iconic cards and imagery. To a lesser degree the 1970 and 1977. Excellent given the fact there were only 10 regular Topps cards issued during his career.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭

LOVE the Munsons. I'm a Munson fan too. The reason I wanted to become a catcher in little league. Amazing cards!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cs223406 said:

recent sub return

Love the oldies. Collected the 69's and 70's straight out of packs. Good times.

• Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    Landed one that has been very elusive for me - went to two straight Nationals before this card blew up looking for a nice 8 and couldn’t find one. Once an 8 was out of my range kept being the underbidder on 7s that I liked (wow there are a lot of ugly 7s of this card). Excited to get this one. The bright colors on this one is what made me really want it. Paige has so few cards - I am really excited to have one of his in my collection. It stinks that there were no Negro League Cards during its tenure (also stinks that MLB was segregated for so long). so many greats that do not have playing days cards.

Great card and still on my wishlist!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brad…the Paige is so beautiful! Congrats on this gem!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

That Paige is off the charts! Congratulations!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    I bought a bunch of 2023 TSC blasters - nothing exciting.

I did hit a milestone tho. 20 yrs here!

It's been fun and time sure flies!

Twenty years is fantastic, congrats! Thank you for all of the content.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Awesome. Never a Cowboy fan but always a Randy White fan.

Those creased jeans though...

He played his College ball at MD. In the early 70's they had good teams under Jerry Claiborne.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Abe, nice Bo Harris pack!

Yaz Master Set