Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Opinions on Red Heart Spahn

I've had this 1954 Red Heart PSA 4 in my collection for a few years. Love the card, but the crack in the case on the left edge drives me nuts. My eye is drawn to it...lol.

Question: Should I re-holder this card? Or crack it out and have it re-graded in hopes for a 5?

I've had several friends tell me this "looks better than a 4", but the back is way off centered. Not so sure.

Note: The black line on the right side is a scan shadow. The white dot on left is scanner glass debris - not on card.

Appreciate your opinions. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would just get it re-slabbed. I see very little chance it would grade a 5. Also that back might actually get a miscut (MC) qualifier if the grader sees the baseball on the back that is slightly missing.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 474 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks JBrules! I agree, the back is a mess and the border staining is more prominent than I recall. Appreciate the feedback.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

The back is always a mess on that Spahn. I say crack and grade. Looks like a 5 to me.

This is the back of the most recent 8 that sold (don’t think I have ever scene a remotely centered back)

Here is the back of the only 9 on VCP.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks more like a scratch are you sure that is a crack? OCD can make people see things that are just there. I know I have OCD.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:
    The back is always a mess on that Spahn. I say crack and grade. Looks like a 5 to me.

This is the back of the most recent 8 that sold (don’t think I have ever scene a remotely centered back)

Here is the back of the only 9 on VCP.

The ball is complete in those, where the OPs card it's cut off.
    BUT, here is a PSA10 with a miscut back, so you really never know.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reholder don't regrade. With the back of the card the way it is, you might get it back as a 4MC if you regrade.

• Options

I see what everyone is saying about the baseball being partially cut off - but with where the back centering always is on this particularly card a miscut designation would really surprise me. The front centering on that card is better than 75% or more of the Spahns. I think it has a good chance at a 5. But it is clear I am the minority opinion.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attractive card- It has natural aging associated with the stock. 4 seems harsh given the overall appearance. But having said that, I have no confidence in the outcome of a crack out and resubmission. I could enjoy this card as it is.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered . Keep the 4 and re-holder.

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Looks more like a scratch are you sure that is a crack? OCD can make people see things that are just there. I know I have OCD.

It's definitely a deep crack that goes through the left raised edge of the holder. I tried buffing out with Meguiar's to no avail.

• Options

Thanks to all on the feedback...I will re-holder. It's staying in my collection, so I'll fix the crack, maintain the 4, and avoid any qualifiers.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2024 2:48PM

@jfkheat said:
    If a Red Heart Spahn is centered on the front it will always be off centered on the back. They are all like that. I had a PSA 9 MC that was just a tad off centered on the front. The baseball on the back was touching the border so PSA said it was MC. If I remember correctly, there are only 2 PSA9s with no qualifiers.

There is the definitive answer! I thought they would give leniency due to the atrocious back centering but it appears they do not. I was clearly wrong on this one.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 7:59AM

Brad, after I bought the card I had it reviewed by PSA and had took it to SGC for a possible crossover. This was at the National in Chicago several years ago. Neither one would change the grade.

There have been 6 Red Heart Spahns the PSA graded a 9. Only 2 had no qualifiers.

Here is the PSA 8 that I had in my set.

• Options

I bid on your 8 but didn’t win it. Thanks for chiming in, I know you are an expert on the set. I disagree with the handling of the miscut designation on this particular card but facts are facts. The OP has a beautiful 4 and the risk of a miscut far outweighs the chance of a bump. Great insight on SGC having the same opinion. This card and the 1973 All Time Home Run Leaders will never be centered on both the front and back!

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 8:38AM

Talking about back centering…I will add the 1966 Koufax. Centered on front, but back is almost always close to a mis-cut. Sorry about changing player discussion, but I wanted to add another card with difficult back centering.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

1981 Fernando RC. no 10 s because of back centering. (and agree about 66 Koufax.)

• Options

looks like a crease on the right side opposite the scratch in the holder so you aren't going to get better than a 4

• Options

@beachbumcollecting said:
    looks like a crease on the right side opposite the scratch in the holder so you aren't going to get better than a 4

Thanks Beachbum. I looked at the card again...I think that line is actually a shadow or something on the scanner. Can't see with naked eye. Agree with the opinions on the board though, this is not going to be 5.