Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ICG GSAs

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got a notice that ICG is doing GSA slab grading, as usual the market will determine if they are adding value or marketability. I guess the challenge with these when NGC and PCGS started grading them, then Anacs was to have some tamper proof technology attached to the slab.

Comments

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    I think the challenge will be assigning an accurate grade.

I think their graders are up to that challenge. ;):p IMHO, CC Morgan's in government holders are possibly the easiest coins of all to grade. Don't you agree?

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

The presentation of the finished product actually looks pretty darn good. I wish them well.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭

Agree with Insider3 comments. I generally don’t have issues with ICG graded morgans, although that one does appear a little scuffed up.
    And back in the day I thought pcgs was late to the GSA grading party! I still have a few pcgs holders with GSA on them

• Options

I'm glad they are improving their system; they have instituted new software for submission tracking too. I don't know how they are able to make much money with their current fee schedule.

• Options
    CuprinkorCuprinkor Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Didn't ICG begin with graders who previously worked at PCGS?

• Options

Randy was at Anacs; as far as I know Michael Fahey is still with Anacs; Skip worked at NGC/NCS.

• Options

@Insider3 said:

@cheezhed said:

I think their graders are up to that challenge. ;):p IMHO, CC Morgan's in government holders are possibly the easiest coins of all to grade. Don't you agree?

A NY dealer some years ago would just sell the GSAs as is without getting them graded. Then he sent a group to NGC and was surprised at the high grades and the much better VAMs that they identified which added a lot to their pricing.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider3 said:

@cheezhed said:

Well the coin in the OP certainly doesn't appear to be a 64. At least from the 1 picture we have. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

I agree: > @blitzdude said:

Well the coin in the OP certainly doesn't appear to be a 64. At least from the 1 picture we have. RGDS!

It looks like someone posted an image of one of our new products here on CU. The first time I saw that particular slab, the manager was checking the location of the labels she had just applied to see how it looked.

Thus, this is like seeing what a fashion model looks like back stage without makeup, in curlers and underwear
    with a joint hanging from her lips compared to an hour later decked out on the runway. That should remind all of us to beware of "hot" mics and to always be clean and look presentable in case we are in an accident.

• Options

I got the one back that I sent in and am very satisfied:

• Options

@mikee999 said:

@logger7 said:
    I got a notice that ICG is doing GSA slab grading, as usual the market will determine if they are adding value or marketability. I guess the challenge with these when NGC and PCGS started grading them, then Anacs was to have some tamper proof technology attached to the slab.

With that scar face I still stand by my statement: ICG = I Can’t Grade.

Even Stevie Wonder can tell the scar on MS Liberty’s face.

Defamatory and highly disrespectful and violative of the rules here:

1.Posts must not contain libelous (accusatory, attacking) remarks concerning any individual, company, or other entity.

1. Posts promoting or bashing other grading companies or services are not allowed.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file