GTG 1983 D Quarter… Grade Revealed

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2024 12:00PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reverse looks nice... not sure about that obverse. Depends whether there is any luster under that toning on the high points. I myself not able to judge by photos alone.

----- kj
  • Options
    rlawsharlawsha Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

64+
    I can't get past the scratches but the color is really nice.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 4:15PM

MS 64 spitting eagle

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS62.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

61*

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS63 but AT

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends upon the lighting for this one. If it is as pastel and slightly cartoon-like as appears on my monitor then it will have a tough time getting into a problem-free holder, but if it's darker (as I suspect) then it appears to be classic Dansco clad toning and I would guess MS65.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call it a 63 (a very nice attractive 63). PCGS will call it a 65 because of the toning.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

63 but might be questionable color…I really like the coin tho…maybe it’s one to put on eBay raw (?)

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would guess AU58, but I'm sure that it would market grade MS63 or better.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    MS 64 spitting eagle

Dumbass, spitters come from Philly.

• Options

Get that coin on GC and it will probably sell for moon money with a truview and greatphoto!

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Get that coin on GC and it will probably sell for moon money with a truview and greatphoto!

The TV was garbage!

• Options
    edited January 31, 2024 5:03AM

@AlanSki said:

@erwindoc said:

The TV was garbage!

The TV makes it appear more naturally toned though. Still, with it being a key date in the clad set, I think it would sell well.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably in the 50.00 range if one looks at ebay....At least a 65 garnered.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

Looks like a cartoon coin to me. Technical maybe 63.

• Options

It's really a pretty nice specimen though I don't care a lot for the toning.

It's well made from serviceable dies and not too chewed up in scratches and gouges. It's the marking that makes most of these look so bad. This is a difficult date to find because most of the rolls have already been busted up and it was tough to start with. And then most examples are banged up a lot.

If you like toning as many people do it is well worth MS-65 money.

People have no idea how scarce these coins are. If there were any collectors these would be very hard to find even in much lower grades. About 20,000 were in the souvenir mint sets and another 20,000 in various privately assembled sets but the number in BU rolls was quite low. Nice choice MS-63 and better are elusive because quality standards were low and because the coins got marked up before they even left the mint. MS-63 is good. MS-65 is great.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 3:02PM

Thanks Clad for the presentation.

This coins has an 65???? Is clear an AU coin. Do I have to post here and spend time to see areally one? To be 65 mean also an clear strike which do not fit here. I do not blaim PCGS but I think it is a mixt on stickers. I really do not want to think the attribution it is not an volume error. The tonning as eye appeal must not affect the grad. Maybe the standards change and I am behind. Knowing the tonnings, I suspect also the expansions of the colors.

This coin show circulation marks.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    edited January 31, 2024 4:51PM

@silviosi said:

This coins has an 65???? Is clear an AU coin. Do I have to post here and spend time to see areally one? To be 65 mean also an clear strike which do not fit here.

>

I believe you are misinterpreting the whiteness on the high points here as wear. You could well be right but I suspect it's a combination of lighting and the nature of the coin.

You can't be sure unless you see it in hand but I believe the OP (AlanSki) would have said there is wear on the coin.

There is that same whiteness on some of the more protected areas making me believe there is no wear.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2024 4:32PM

Clad, I do not deny your stand of this coin. Sure to have in the hand change the portrait. By photos I see circulation trace. In hand could be just normal Mint. Your deep analizes I appreciated and allways I will appreciate. Very fews as you are stay on the road today.

Me I reffere more to the Observe. The reverse is clean better then I wash my dishes.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options

My first impression of this coin from seeing the original photos was MS65, which you can confirm by looking at my prior post in this thread. I believe what some might consider circulation marks or trace is the fact that these were struck like they were made of oatmeal and the roughness of the unstuck planchet was not obliterated. This coin is mint state.

• Options

TomB said;
    I believe what some might consider circulation marks or trace is the fact that these were struck like they were made of oatmeal and the roughness of the unstuck planchet was not obliterated. This coin is mint state.

Look at the botom of the bust and also at the midle left side of the face, and explain me the mint state. Any coins which do not come in sets of this period (year) was in bins delivered and after roll by who know and then deliver to some banks or direct to stores. Those coins are mint???

• Options

We can agree to disagree on our interpretation of images and that is okay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file