Home Sports Talk

Sports Illustrated magazine layoffs

2»

Comments

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I love the stories you read in Sports Illustrated about their personal lives, you learn a lot about how they became the athletes they are on the field. For instance, Jack Youngblood, one of my favorite players of all-time, a beast, once played in a couple of games with a broken leg. One time during a dispute in Logan Utah, a man stuck a loaded gun in Jack Youngbloods eye and pulled the trigger, but the gun did not fire. Youngblood took it away, knocked the man to the ground and walked off. Learned that about him in Sports Illustrated, lots of insane stories like that in those articles.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple issues of baseball magazine circa 1954 that belonged to my uncle. Classified ads in the back of the magazine a guy is looking for any old cigarette baseball cards.
    And yes that’s what it says not tobacco cards. Wonder if he bought any really good ones from that ad. 🤔

• HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 309 ✭✭✭

I wonder if SI ever told their readers about this.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one thing about SI is the photography is unmatched

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@Darin said:

Awesome image of Mantle, look at that left arm, raw power.

edited January 24, 2024 7:01AM

Here it is, this 1984 Sports Illustrated featuring Michael Jordan sold for $126,000 at auction back in August 2023. It is a news stand copy, they are much more valuable than subscription copies because less were made. I think this was Jordan's first appearance on the cover of SI.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

MJ triple-teamed by Sidney Moncrief, Mike Dunleavy and Paul Pressey

i loved me some 80s NBA

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,138 ✭✭✭✭✭

they are good pics for sure but 1000 points deducted for being college football related .
    remind me where did they come down on the jerry sandusky thing?
    did they help coverup or go for the pitchforks right away?

if they called for Penn state to be burned to the groun

@doubledragon said:

@Darin said:

as a child he spent a lot of time in his room waxing the dolphin

@bronco2078 said:
    they are good pics for sure but 1000 points deducted for being college football related .
    remind me where did they come down on the jerry sandusky thing?
    did they help coverup or go for the pitchforks right away?

if they called for Penn state to be burned to the groun

@doubledragon said:

@Darin said:

as a child he spent a lot of time in his room waxing the dolphin

Well done sir! 😂😂

is something wrong with the forum? that was clearly 2 separate posts, and yet there is a whole other part about burning penn state to the ground which is missing

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree great pics. 👍

Of course the problem SI has in this day and age, is for every great pic now in their magazine, there are almost countless great pics of the same event on the internet, and also including videos.

The SI hard copy magazine business model really is unsustainable, and it's not even debatable. I saw where the Sporting News ended their hard copy magazine in 2012. SI should probably have done the same around that time or sooner.

Perhaps the wise execs at SI thought the internet was just a fad? 😆

i think i see , the post comment button isnt doing anything until the third press for some reason . perhaps partial posts are floating about cyberspace then doubling up

I think Bronco is doing this just to get his post count to 10,000 as quickly as possible.

😉

+1 is easier.

😉

possibly but right here in this window im seeing the last post i made as a draft . I just deleted it or all that would have posted again i think?
    it should delete when you post and become a blank space

of course the importance of burning penn state to the ground can not be overstated

@bronco2078 said:
    possibly but right here in this window im seeing the last post i made as a draft . I just deleted it or all that would have posted again i think?
    it should delete when you post and become a blank space

of course the importance of burning penn state to the ground can not be overstated

Penn State has come back from the abyss, better than ever. The enthusiasm at Happy Valley is as good or better than what I've ever seen. The football program especially, competing almost every season in or near the top ten.

Thanks for asking.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Here it is, this 1984 Sports Illustrated featuring Michael Jordan sold for $126,000 at auction back in August 2023. It is a news stand copy, they are much more valuable than subscription copies because less were made. I think this was Jordan's first appearance on the cover of SI.

The newsstand copy's do not have the pesky address label on them. One advantage with the newsstand issue. And since advertising is usually on the back cover the address label goes on the front. Advertisers do not want their ads covered with a label. They get their way,they pay the freight

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are all some of my favorite covers from over the years, I used stock photos but I do have the mags buried somewhere.
    This MJ would have made for a great card image.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 630 ✭✭✭✭

I think the wokeness hurts but it is really the internet that that is killing news papers and magazines, just like the internet with online likes of Amazon and Ebay are killing small business and even some large.

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21