Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC Poll

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've noticed we currently have several CAC discussions going. No surprise because the merits of CAC and CACG are always being debated. Perhaps this is a good time to ask forum members whether they are actually utilizing CAC services.

Because CAC is controversial, this poll is anonymous. Your votes will not be made public,
CAC Poll

CAC Poll

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll post publicly and state that I submit directly to CAC and have done so since they had their "grand opening" same-day show submission offer at the now defunct, Laurie Sperber run CoinFest show in CT back in 2010 or thereabouts.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never submitted anything to anyone. I’ve got some that are worthy of TPG submittal. I can’t say if they’d be good for CAC until they come back with a grade. If they were, I probably still wouldn’t. Encapsulation is good enough for me (since I’m not selling)

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I plan on being able to submit to them.

I don't feel a strong urge to submit coins to CAC though.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2024 5:06AM

I voted that I do not plan to submit directly to CAC. My core collection is outside the scope of what they grade.

I had others submit a small volume of my US coins for stickers and that turned out to be a positive experience.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been a member from nearly the beginning. My success rate then compared to more recently has been disappointing. Either I’m getting worse or JA has tightened up. 🙄

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    epcepc Posts: 167 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in the green bar. I don't have any specific plan to submit for CAC review, but I'm in no way opposed to doing so. Like TomB, years ago I did submit some (free of charge) at one of those CT shows.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

I voted CACS should make their own message board so the sticker collectors can stop posting all their cac threads on the PCGS board. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been a CAC member for several years and have made a few submissions, but don’t use them regularly. I plan on submitting for grading to CACG at some point. It has been my experience that most of the coins I buy that are CAC worthy sell for a premium with or without the sticker. The coins will usually speak for themselves So I end up selling them before I get around to submitting.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    I voted CACS should make their own message board so the sticker collectors can stop posting all their cac threads on the PCGS board. THKS!

They do have a forum for collectors.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    I submit nearly every coin I purchase. I like CAC for all of the normal reasons. I like to learn and I value JA's opinion. There is very little downside as the pricing is very reasonable.

But also, my two primary collections, trade dollars and classic gold, go up a significant percentage in value upon receiving CAC approval.

THIS

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am only interested in submitting a few of my coins to be stickered. No interest in CACG.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never submitted any coin to any TPG (but GC once crossed a PCI coin I wanted them to sell to PCGS), but I expect that tomorrow I will send off a bunch of coins for CAC approval.

Some day, I also will send a few coins off for grading (probably not CACG), since I have to face the fact that I'm old, and someone (either me or my heirs) will be selling my collections in the foreseeable future.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a CAC member and have been for more than a decade.

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submit coins to CAC occasionally and will likely submit coins to CACG. Gathering candidates for crossing and submitting now, including P and N coins that need reholdering.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am very pro CAC/CACG, I hope that CACG becomes the dominate TPG as that might put enough pressure on the others to ditch the market grading scam.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

Coinbuf : market grading scam.

I do not see market scam. I send to ANACS, NGC, PCGS and CACG. In order: MS65, MS65, MS64+ and AU Details LOL?.
    I think the last it is the scam. Explain:

Albanese all we know and his credits are around. But the others??? Who are those word well recognised graders?? Ron Drzewucki or John Butler??? To green guys to be World Class Graders. And the company state has more then 100 best and world graders. Ok! But from they come?? Who are they???

Do someone there can stand: Stevens? , Will?, Ken Potter?, Wexler?. Tanner?, Malone?, not to say about Bree, and my regretaited friends Stanton and HERB.??? The answer it is not.

The company must prouve and is open to real statments and not just say we buy from 2007 till now 700 millions $ in coins. Are they graders or investors???

The website sucks. It is for under 12 years childrens with no content.

Any Dealer who told me it is CAC or CACG and ask big premium, I answer that I buy the coin and not a chip slab. PS: I have my own slabs better quality and able to vacuum the coins for long run.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ill post publicly also:

I am an authorized CAC submitter, I do send ocasionally a coin in for stickering for customer's when requested, although havent lately. I have not yet sent anything too cacg. The coins I buy for myself are usually too expensive for me to send my self due to insurance purposes, so I either use Ian or a couple national dealers I know who have private insurance.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve been submitting coins to CAC since the beginning, as I was one of the first Collector submitters approved. I did this because my grading skills are not the best, and I’d rather do other things with my time than spend hundreds of hours learning, when there are viable alternatives, like TPG’s and CAC.

TPG’s and CAC, while not perfect, provide me with peace of mind that the coins I purchase are authentic and “accurately” graded. Naturally, I MUST like the eye appeal, or I won’t buy the coin. There are thousands of coins that are in the date and grade I’m looking for that I pass on, simply because I don’t like the eye appeal.

Back in the ‘70’s, I was a big fan of the ANACS photo certificates, that graded each side of a coin. In the mid ‘80’s, I became a big fan of the TPG’s. Other collectors, and dealers, pooh-poohed the idea. But not me. I hated when dealers would sell me coins at a particular grade, but say the grade was lower when buying them back! The TPG concept greatly minimized that.

I also tend to have the “dropsies”, so having a coin in a sturdy holder minimizes damage to coins. Now I’m way off topic, lol.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 7:55AM

@silviosi said:

Coinbuf : market grading scam.

I do not see market scam. I send to ANACS, NGC, PCGS and CACG. In order: MS65, MS65, MS64+ and AU Details LOL?.
    I think the last it is the scam. Explain:

Albanese all we know and his credits are around. But the others??? Who are those word well recognised graders?? Ron Drzewucki or John Butler??? To green guys to be World Class Graders. And the company state has more then 100 best and world graders. Ok! But from they come?? Who are they???

Do someone there can stand: Stevens? , Will?, Ken Potter?, Wexler?. Tanner?, Malone?, not to say about Bree, and my regretaited friends Stanton and HERB.??? The answer it is not.

The company must prouve and is open to real statments and not just say we buy from 2007 till now 700 millions $ in coins. Are they graders or investors???

The website sucks. It is for under 12 years childrens with no content.

Any Dealer who told me it is CAC or CACG and ask big premium, I answer that I buy the coin and not a chip slab. PS: I have my own slabs better quality and able to vacuum the coins for long run.

Then you need to open your eyes and see what is happening; green graders, again wake up! Currently PCGS has the least experienced graders of any TPG, ANY! And market grading is not really grading it is pricing, that dark underbelly has been exposed with the comments from former grader Rexford right here on the forum. That is why we see obvious sliders and poorly struck coins in gem holders, I expect a TPG to grade a coin not price it. Pricing should be a function of the market not the graders.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

My seated quarter collection was complete and in a Dansco, including many crack outs. I started certifying them last year to make it easier for my kids to sell when the time comes, and admittedly I'm having fun playing the upgrade game. I couldn't care less about CAC stickers.

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

I would like to send a few in but remain on the waiting list. Should have sent the application in years ago when I first received it.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

But then we wouldn't have spirited discussions! : )

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    I voted CACS should make their own message board so the sticker collectors can stop posting all their CAC threads on the PCGS board. THKS!

Many of us are open-minded, and as such, I truly believe many collectors have benefitted from the information posted on THESE forums.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 5:04PM

No intent to submit CAC/CACG. Am a PCGS submitter. Bought a few CACG for advertising purposes had to pay thru the nose. Marked them up accordingly. Will c if people pay the money on those lol. Recently read how they getting into ASE, AGE but will not pay more for one of theirs vs other TPG. Their pop of coins in the market place is nowhere near PCGS or NGC. Don’t know what people are smoking but not even sure CACG pop out there will even pass Anacs or ICG. Will they even break over 5,000 or 10,000 on eBay? Just now they < 1000 on the Bay. Did bid on one CACG Morgan on eBay auc went ridiculous price 1.75 over CACG CPG. That auc winner at 1.75 CPG the end user and so far under water on it. Gesunken.

Take your CAC hobby, your baseless insults, those little nothing quite trolls, and spiel to your CAC message board. No use for it here.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been submitting to CAC since November 2010. The Lib $2.50's in my set that passed I retained; in many cases those retained were eventually upgraded with higher graded PCGS/CAC coins. Those $2.50's that did not pass I sold en masse - I filled those slots with PCGS/CAC examples over a period of 8 years.

Today in 2024 I will occasionally submit a coin to CAC that I have first crossed from NGC to PCCS. My NEWPS are otherwise almost exclusively coins in PCGS holders with CAC approval.

I don't intend to submit coins to CACG or to purchase CACG graded coins.

• Options

Haven't submitted any coins to CAC but have a few I might try. Would go thru a friend. Most of my coins aren't high enough value to gain alot with the bean. Have a decent number of coins that already had the bean when I acquired them, and I am all for what CAC does, just so everyone knows where I stand. ;)

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options

Just to add, most of my high value coins already had a bean when I acquired them.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

Is CAC the be-all, end-all of coin grading? Obviously not. but at least in the set I like to collect, many of the nicest coins have a green bean or are moving to the CACG holders. Does that mean I will only buy CAC? No, I buy the coin, but it's taken a few years to develop an eye good enough to have confidence to do that, and I only feel comfortable make big purchases in one set.

I'm purely a collector and while I do not look at collecting coins as a financial investment, I'm not interested in getting fleeced on my higher-end purchases either. I don't mind another quality check helping me to prevent that from occurring.

I believe CAC is good for the coin marketplace long-term if you want your coins to hold their value. Simply on the fact that if CAC restricts the coins that are graded problem-free, and limits condition-rarity coins to only true top-tier coins, those coins will hold their value better, even if the amount of collectors does not grow.

Obviously CAC's grading standards have to be based in the reality of the coin marketplace, which appears to be the main point of contention on this forum. Personally I like what I have seen in their holders so far, it's early in their life as a grading company though, things could change.

So yes, I plan to submit coins to CAC as a collector, and continue to submit coins to PCGS because I trust their grading as well, but most of the coins I'm going to purchase are already slabbed.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 11:56PM

Wine thank you for your data.

Outside of a few CACG pieces I bought for an advertising display no real plan acquire much more. This due to business reasons. I do both coins and currency booth graded and raw. On the graded side interested in low pop world. So more of a spread offense than smash mouth which is concentrated more on the run.

My comment relates to market share. Number of slabs on eBay is a valid quantity measure. Who you submit to is your call. This is a Pcgs forum. I have a spreadsheet to track the various number of slabs on eBay. I have read the Pcgs standards and that works for me. Once you add graded currency in to PCGS and NGC their market share becomes even larger.

However with your fine wine explanation understand the population situation much better. I guess I was expecting some massive roll out D Day invasion of their material. I do plan to read more over there as don’t quite understand the legacy thing. I have learned to use their certificate lookup.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

Outside of a few CACG pieces I bought for an advertising display no real plan acquire much more. This due to business reasons. I do both coins and currency booth graded and raw. On the graded side interested in low pop world. So more of a spread offense than smash mouth which is concentrated more on the run.

My comment relates to market share. Number of slabs on eBay is a valid quantity measure. Who you submit to is your call. This is a Pcgs forum. I have a spreadsheet to track the various number of slabs on eBay. I have read the Pcgs standards and that works for me. Once you add graded currency in to PCGS and NGC their market share becomes even larger.

However with your fine wine explanation understand the population situation much better. I guess I was expecting some massive roll out D Day invasion of their material. I do plan to read more over there as don’t quite understand the legacy thing. I have learned to use their certificate lookup.

Ok, who are you and what have you done with @Cougar1978?

Seriously, have you found an AI program that revises your posts to be coherent and articulate? Has another forum member agreed be your ghost writer? I’ve never seen this writing style from you, something isn’t adding up here 🤔.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Ok, who are you and what have you done with @Cougar1978?

Seriously, have you found an AI program that revises your posts to be coherent and articulate? Has another forum member agreed be your ghost writer? I’ve never seen this writing style from you, something isn’t adding up here 🤔.

I dunno, still dropping prepositions and present tense verbs. Belabored football analogy. Stylistically it still seems like him.

• Options

I decided to have three of my coins sent to PCGS to have them reholdered and photographed. All had a nice legacy green beans. I applied to CAC be able to submit to get them re-stickered about two months ago. Email arrived from CAC this week to get submitting privileges. Why do they need to know who my dealer(s) that I work with are? Seems odd but I do want the beans replaced. From previous discussions the bean my bring a better price when I. or my heirs, go to sell. As far as using CACG, I probably won't be sending anything in for grading...but you can't really ever say never. (Wow, bad double negative there!)

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki said:
    I decided to have three of my coins sent to PCGS to have them reholdered and photographed. All had a nice legacy green beans. I applied to CAC be able to submit to get them re-stickered about two months ago. Email arrived from CAC this week to get submitting privileges. Why do they need to know who my dealer(s) that I work with are? Seems odd but I do want the beans replaced. From previous discussions the bean my bring a better price when I. or my heirs, go to sell. As far as using CACG, I probably won't be sending anything in for grading...but you can't really ever say never. (Wow, bad double negative there!)

It's just a reference check to make sure that your checks will clear, its nothing out of the ordinary. CAC operates with more of an "honor system" in regards to billing, they invoice you in the portal and give you a month to pay the bill.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file