Home Sports Talk
Options

Sports Illustrated magazine layoffs

BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2024 10:30AM in Sports Talk

The magazine is on the ropes for survival. The end may be near according to media reports.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t know they were still in business.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@stevek said:

Even their swimsuit models became a travesty, and I would advise not to post those pics here.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hidhoe said:

@stevek said:

Even their swimsuit models became a travesty, and I would advise not to post those pics here.

I was referring to if Bruce Jenner had currently posed for SI. 😆

• Options

The magazine had their moments way back when. All magazines are in subscription/readership distress. I go to the local library to pick up magazines of interest. Too costly to subscribe.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    Didn’t know they were still in business.

I can't recall the last time I bought a copy of SI. At least a few decades ago.

Their website isn't all that bad because there are numerous sports stories on there. I don't often click it on, however if there was a woke story on their website, at least it would be overshadowed by the numerous other stories. Whereby with the hard copy magazine having only a limited small number of stories, one or two woke stories in there takes up much of the issue content.

Obviously the weight of the high salaries and number of employees can't be supported by the hard copy revenue. And the website revenue isn't good enough to make up for it.

My guess is the future holds for them scrapping the hard copy issue, and strictly focusing on the website. Perhaps the current owners getting out, and selling the SI name to somebody who thinks they can design the website better and attract more viewers - that actually might work, if they focus on sports, and not on other chit.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm disappointed in Sports Illustrated, never got to see my dream cover. It would have looked something like this.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    The magazine had their moments way back when. All magazines are in subscription/readership distress. I go to the local library to pick up magazines of interest. Too costly to subscribe.

I'm not a magazine collector, but the original issue of SI in pristine condition, as well as some of their other issues in pristine condition, I think are worth some decent coin.

The first and second issues of SI back in 1954, actually contained thin paper copies of Topps baseball cards. Pretty cool.

• Options

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I'm not a magazine collector, but the original issue of SI in pristine condition, as well as some of their other issues in pristine condition, I think are worth some decent coin.

The first and second issues of SI back in 1954, actually contained thin paper copies of Topps baseball cards. Pretty cool.

The Jordan cover issues are still collectible. The horse Secretariat was voted athelete of the year by SI. IIRC the first SI with those "cards" you speak of had Eddie Mathews on the cover. They sell for around $200-300 depending on condition. I read some time ago that a pile of that first issue were discovered in a warehouse. So more became available in the marketplace.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm disappointed in Sports Illustrated, never got to see my dream cover. It would have looked something like this.

Glad AR never made the swimsuit issue. :D

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2024 12:17PM

a fun thread -- or a thread within a thread -- might be to post your fav SI issue. or one that evokes a memory. and no, telling the forum that one of the swimsuit issues educed your very first boner is not what i had in mind.

funny how i can't recall where i put my car keys 15 mins ago, but i can remember pop tarts like this

i was 13. a friend of mine came up to me at school at said, "did you see this week's SI? some guy with a rubber arm."

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    Go W0ke, Go Br0ke.

Sports fans bought SI for the sports, not for societal dissertations.

My thoughts exactly

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

here's another i used to have. still probably do somewhere. the title says it all..............the Bears had nothing for the majority of Sweetness' career. keep that in mind when determining where he stands in terms of greatness. defenses keyed in on him weekly and he still became the all-time leading rusher. that honor now belongs to Emmitt, but when you take into consideration the teams and teammates he was a part of compared to Walter's, there's no comparison. stick Emmitt on those late 70s/early 80s Bears teams and you'd rarely hear his name today. same with Barry..............arguably the best on a number of crap teams. i don't think you can go wrong choosing him, Jim Brown or Payton. but please, never Emmitt.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    here's another i used to have. still probably do somewhere. the title says it all..............the Bears had nothing for the majority of Sweetness' career. keep that in mind when determining where he stands in terms of greatness. defenses keyed in on him weekly and he still became the all-time leading rusher. that honor now belongs to Emmitt, but when you take into consideration the teams and teammates he was a part of compared to Walter's, there's no comparison. stick Emmitt on those late 70s/early 80s Bears teams and you'd rarely hear his name today. same with Barry..............arguably the best on a number of crap teams. i don't think you can go wrong choosing him, Jim Brown or Payton. but please, never Emmitt.

I once read that before practice, Payton would run up and down the stadium steps for who knows how long. I mean before practice? Who the yell does that? LOL

His endurance and stamina was simply amazing.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweetness ran up hills & mountains....and ran over defense's....the dude was a Stud... :)

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@doubledragon said:

Glad AR never made the swimsuit issue. :D

Aaron Rodgers in a bikini? Don't tease me!

• Options

If I'm not mistaken, Jordan is the athlete that has appeared on the most covers of Sports Illustrated, followed by Ali.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way back in the day I was one of the webmasters at cnn. Me/we ramped up the sports section in 95/96 that would wind up converting to cnnsi.com when TW bought everything out. We had the most hits per section on cnn.com for a hot minute just updating scores and whatnots for over a year. Doing the 96 olympics site was crazy, sad to see the end but not surprising. Too many other avenues outside of 'network' basically.

• Options

I always liked this Ali cover, with Big Ben in the background. I've always been fascinated with London England.

• Options

Never thought I'd see the day when Sports Illustrated is in shambles, it's the GOAT sports magazine, but it just can't compete with the internet. People can get their sports news so fast online, no need for magazines anymore. Newspapers are the same way, no need for them anymore, the internet has taken over just about everything these days.

• Options

I used to buy a newspaper every day back in the early 90s, used to be newspaper machines all over our city, you pop 75 cents in or whatever it cost and get a newspaper. Nowadays I haven't seen a newspaper machine around in years, don't even know if they still exist.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I used to buy a newspaper every day back in the early 90s, used to be newspaper machines all over our city, you pop 75 cents in or whatever it cost and get a newspaper. Nowadays I haven't seen a newspaper machine around in years, don't even know if they still exist.

A supermarket where I sometimes shop, has a rack next to the customer service counter and they have the New York Times, and Wall Street Journal newspapers there, as well as the local newspaper.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭✭

Quad graphics has announced its closing doors here is Saratoga NY. 435 employees. They printed Newsweek, Time and SI. Businesses and people are flying out of New York state. Printed material is going out like the typewriter.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

The two covers I think of immediately

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    The two covers I think of immediately

Just shows that big doesn’t always mean great. But he’s far from the biggest bust, unless we’re talking pure size

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

I once read that before practice, Payton would run up and down the stadium steps for who knows how long. I mean before practice? Who the yell does that? LOL

mike ditka treated him like garbage

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Never thought I'd see the day when Sports Illustrated is in shambles, it's the GOAT sports magazine, but it just can't compete with the internet. People can get their sports news so fast online, no need for magazines anymore. Newspapers are the same way, no need for them anymore, the internet has taken over just about everything these days.

what was great about it? style over substance , lots of pontificating . give me the hockey news back in the day all tables and nuts and bolts writing no fluff

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@doubledragon said:

what was great about it? style over substance , lots of pontificating . give me the hockey news back in the day all tables and nuts and bolts writing no fluff

What was great about it? Some of the best sports pieces ever written came out of Sports Illustrated, no magazine got you closer to the sidelines than Sports Illustrated, like the 1972 article on Tom Landry, and up close portrait of the man himself, what makes him tick. Stuff like that is gold, and that's just one example, SI had thousands of articles like that. Do a Google search and look up the greatest sports magazines of all time, you'll be hard pressed not to find Sports Illustrated at the top of every list. You want to read your hockey magazine then go for it, but I'm still reading great articles from old Sports Illustrated magazines to this day.

• Options

I'm amazed that they still produce magazines. I thought the only magazines left were the horrible ones like "Healthy mother and baby" that doctors offices get for free.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

mike ditka treated him like garbage

Yep, the Bears score 46 points in their Super Bowl blowout, Ditka lets a defensive lineman, Refrigerator Perry, score a rushing touchdown, but the great Walter Payton didn't score any. A cruel sick joke.

After the game, Ditka said he lost track of who scored what? I don't believe that for a second.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@bronco2078 said:

@doubledragon said:

What was great about it? Some of the best sports pieces ever written came out of Sports Illustrated, no magazine got you closer to the sidelines than Sports Illustrated, like the 1972 article on Tom Landry, and up close portrait of the man himself, what makes him tick. Stuff like that is gold, and that's just one example, SI had thousands of articles like that. Do a Google search and look up the greatest sports magazines of all time, you'll be hard pressed not to find Sports Illustrated at the top of every list. You want to read your hockey magazine then go for it, but I'm still reading great articles from old Sports Illustrated magazines to this day.

all that touchy feely crap is the opposite of gold i hated that i want real info
    SI was woke before anyone else actually

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@doubledragon said:

@bronco2078 said:

@doubledragon said:

all that touchy feely crap is the opposite of gold i hated that i want real info
    SI was woke before anyone else actually

I think ESPN was before SI

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options

@Alfonz24 said:

Was it goofus and gallant I'm thinking of?

• Options

LOL. Sports Illustrated is responsible for some of the greatest sports photos ever taken, this photo of Chuck Bednarik standing over Frank Gifford after he destroyed him is one of the greatest photos of all-time, snapped by John G. Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated in 1960.

• Options

Neil Leifer, Sports Illustrated, 1965.

• Options

Say what you want about Sports Illustrated, they're woke or whatever, but SI pisses on every other sports magazine ever made. They couldn't hold Sports Illustrated"s jock strap!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree DD
    One of my favorites that I own is the Stargell-Bradshaw cover 1979 or 80.
    Pirates won series in 79.

• Options

@Darin said:
    Agree DD

Always loved these photos of Stargell and Bradshaw with Pittsburgh steel workers, I believe they may have been taken for the issue you mentioned featuring them both on the cover.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@Darin said:
    Agree DD

Always loved these photos of Stargell and Bradshaw with Pittsburgh steel workers, I believe they may have been taken for the issue you mentioned featuring them both on the cover.

Yep from that same issue, thanks for posting those! 👍

• Options

I've never bought many sports magazines over the years, simply preferred to read the newspaper, and now of course the internet. But when I did, I preferred the Sporting News over Sports Illustrated.

Nothing wrong with SI, but frankly it always seemed "fluffy" to me with too much information about the players personal lives, etc, and other chit i didn't really care about.

The Sporting News provided hard core sports info, stats, etc, especially on baseball. For baseball info it was the greatest because as we know, baseball fans relish in stats, etc, and still do. While football fans, not nearly as much for the most part, although that has changed a bit over the years.

SI was more about the pics it seemed, which is fine. It does have the word "Illustrated" in its name and that was a major focus for them. Whereby SN has the word "News" in its name, and that's what I preferred in a sports magazine.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭

Theres rumors its not going to actually shut down, but it should. They did everything they could to destroy it and were successful. They were even caught using AI to write articles so maybe they just go on as an AI generated magazine. The swimsuit issue used to be amazing, used to

• Options

@stevek said:
    I've never bought many sports magazines over the years, simply preferred to read the newspaper, and now of course the internet. But when I did, I preferred the Sporting News over Sports Illustrated.

Nothing wrong with SI, but frankly it always seemed "fluffy" to me with too much information about the players personal lives, etc, and other chit i didn't really care about.

The Sporting News provided hard core sports info, stats, etc, especially on baseball. For baseball info it was the greatest because as we know, baseball fans relish in stats, etc, and still do. While football fans, not nearly as much for the most part, although that has changed a bit over the years.

SI was more about the pics it seemed, which is fine. It does have the word "Illustrated" in its name and that was a major focus for them. Whereby SN has the word "News" in its name, and that's what I preferred in a sports magazine.

For just baseball nothing beat baseball digest.

• Options

From SI

• Options

The best SMR ever

• Options

May 9, 1966….. Hondo

• Options

The great one….. 1980