For some of you with some extra coin..

2»

Comments

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

AI or AL? LOL!!

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options

I bought some phenomenal sheets from a guy many years ago who said when he was a kid they lived near Duryea PA where Topps was and his Dad would go over there and get him some sheets. It was 70s stuff. He had 75 Topps baseball and 76 Football and he had a 73 Schmidt sheet he was not willing to part with. I was able to make some I liked from those sheets. Sorry the pics are bad. Found them on an old computer. Pre-smart phone days.

Then these 1984 Topps sheets seem as if they were made available for purchase to the public. Still in shrinkwrap with a label.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2024 4:25PM

How is centering measured when border width is changing up and down the card so dramatically?!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe 1981 was the first year that Topps offered legitimate sales of uncut sheets to the general public. I'm not sure where you would find this order form, perhaps this was only given to dealers?

If you are familiar with the 1981 Topps Coca-Cola team sets, there is a team header card included on the front each 3 card cello pack.

"SEE SPECIAL OFFER ON BACK OF THIS CARD" Flip the header card over to see the details on how you can acquire an uncut press sheet, and right there it says, "NEVER OFFERED BEFORE".

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome! Those are sweet.

You should let me cut a couple out of the middle. I promise no one will even notice.

• Options

@mintonlypls said:
    How is centering measured when border width is changing up and down the card so dramatically?!

You just have to know 2.5 x 3.5. Then get an idea of what that means in terms of borders for your set.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UlyssesExtravaganza said:

@mintonlypls said:

You just have to know 2.5 x 3.5. Then get an idea of what that means in terms of borders for your set.

I think he’s referring to tilt. My guess is that they just measure the centering at the top and bottom of the card. If both are within the centering guidelines for the grade they are good. Even if the wider border is the left on top and the right on the bottom 🤪

• Options

That card got a 10?!?!
    Going to remind myself of the cards I felt were 9s that received 10s in my submissions.

If that card was graded by beckett then centering wouldn't be a 10, or a 9.5, and I highly doubt a 9 and the overall would never be a 10, ever.

I passed on a Ja Morant /Young Dolph 116 RC in a PSA10 tonight. It went for about $30 less than all other PSA10s in the last week since his season ending injury. The top edge was garbage all the way across top but not the outside by the corners. It lines up with the holder and looks like it likely was pinched during assembly.... thoughts?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/285643325679?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=jtjb6jywssa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=ae-eOCLFR9S&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Options
    HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:
    Awesome! Those are sweet.

You should let me cut a couple out of the middle. I promise no one will even notice.

He will. He let me cut this one out of the middle of his 72 sheet.

• Options
    reelinintheyearsreelinintheyears Posts: 241 ✭✭✭
    edited January 13, 2024 9:02AM

@Hidhoe said:
    Here are real 1974 opc Munson’s.
    They were cut by rotary discs that women hand fed at the opc factory in Ontario and placed into wax packs.

As a collector of '70s and early '80s OPC baseball, I know firsthand that it's totally inaccurate to state that all OPC's of this era have rough cuts. I've opened many wax packs of this era (including one 1974) and the cuts vary widely. Some have one edge that's rough cut and the rest are smooth. It all depends upon the condition of the blades at the time the cards were cut. Rough cuts resulted when they were dull and smooth cuts resulted when they were sharp (there are many threads on this forum that address the reasons for OPC rough cuts). It is extremely difficult to detect sheet cut cards when they're cut by experts. There are certain cards that are known to never come well centered from the factory, such as the '74 Ron Santo and '76 Steve Carlton, so when I see one of those cards well centered then I know they were sheet cut.

• Options

@reelinintheyears said:

@Hidhoe said:
    They were cut by rotary discs that women hand fed at the opc factory in Ontario and placed into wax packs.

As a collector of '70s and early '80s OPC baseball, I know firsthand that it's totally inaccurate to state that all OPC's of this era have rough cuts. I've opened many wax packs of this era (including one 1974) and the cuts vary widely. Some have one edge that's rough cut and the rest are smooth. It all depends upon the condition of the blades at the time the cards were cut. Rough cuts resulted when they were dull and smooth cuts resulted when they were sharp (there are many threads on this forum that address the reasons for OPC rough cuts). It is extremely difficult to detect sheet cut cards when they're cut by experts. There are certain cards that are known to never come well centered from the factory, such as the '74 Ron Santo and '76 Steve Carlton, so when I see one of those cards well centered then I know they were sheet cut.

And someone could say they pulled a dead centered 76 Carlton from a pack. Being that we didn’t open every box of 76 opc baseball then perhaps the ladies cut that card perfectly that day.

To be on the safe side stay away from dead centered, sharp cut 74 opc baseball. I opened a box many years ago and not one dead centered card.

• Options

If it’s not like this then there’s a 99% chance it wasn’t cut at OPC.

• Options

• Options

Here’s a classic OPC cut, with some guy named Reggie in the background.
    Anyone know if this is the only A’s card with both yellow tops and bottoms?

• Options

@Hidhoe said:

Another totally false statement. Many, many more than 1% of '74 OPCs are not rough cuts. Take a look at all of the raw and graded '74 OPC commons on eBay, opcbaseball.com, and other sites that do not have rough cuts. Do you actually believe that people cut all of those cards from sheets and purposefully cut them badly off center? Badly off center '74 OPCs are much more common than rough cut '74 OPCs. Neither OPC nor any other baseball card company purposefully created rough cut cards; it was the result of poor quality control, but the quality was not bad 100% of the time. Topps produced many rough cut cards over the years; their quality control was much better than OPC so it was much less common for them.

• Options

@reelinintheyears said:

@Hidhoe said:

I recently ripped a box of 79s and most weren’t rough cut. Some even had rough on some edges and clean on others on the same card.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2024 2:10AM

@reelinintheyears said:

@Hidhoe said:

Another totally false statement. Many, many more than 1% of '74 OPCs are not rough cuts. Take a look at all of the raw and graded '74 OPC commons on eBay, opcbaseball.com, and other sites that do not have rough cuts. Do you actually believe that people cut all of those cards from sheets and purposefully cut them badly off center? Badly off center '74 OPCs are much more common than rough cut '74 OPCs. Neither OPC nor any other baseball card company purposefully created rough cut cards; it was the result of poor quality control, but the quality was not bad 100% of the time. Topps produced many rough cut cards over the years; their quality control was much better than OPC so it was much less common for them.

The cards pictured with that statement are off centered and rough cut.

If an opc card is dead centered with no rough cut at all then there’s a 99% chance it wasn’t cut by the ladies at OPC.

My statement was totally true.
    You can find 1 card out of 100 from a 1974 or 1975 opc box that is dead centered with zero signs of a rough cut.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2024 2:16AM

@BBBrkrr said:

@reelinintheyears said:

@Hidhoe said:

I recently ripped a box of 79s and most weren’t rough cut. Some even had rough on some edges and clean on others on the same .

79’s were different then 74’s.
    75’s were even better then 74’s. Why I don’t know.

If you find a 75 opc that’s dead centered with no rough cut then there’s a 99% chance the ladies didn’t cut it at the factory.

• Options

Found only two of my 74’s from wax with a sharp cut. I feel the 1 out of 100 is accurate but perhaps it’s more or less. However as stated, that 74 Munson with sharp corners and dead centering did not get cut and distributed at OPC.

• Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

I did not read this whole thread. I did check out the Ryan card. While the seller is very well known for sheet cutting cards, I think the Ryan looks more naturally cut by OPC than sheet cut.
    Many 1977 OPC Baseball sheet cut were done by this seller that got in to PSA holders and other years as well. I’m sure he has sent a ton of Hockey sheet cut in as well. He was also the seller of the 1966 Topps Bobby Orr rookie that if I remember correctly was a BGS 10

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭

On another note…
    Uncut sheet are all over the place up there in Canada. In my years of traveling up there, I always came across them in collections. I found the sheets kinda cool if you wanted to display but a pain in the ars to ship and keep in good condition . I always passed on them.

www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2024 7:52AM

In 1984-85 hockey packs there were instant winner cards inserted where you would win the set on 3 sheets.

• Options

• Options

• Options

Tom is correct and basically an expert on OPC. Hidhoe has some very good information about the seller that seems to be correct. However, the thread isn't about the seller, rough cuts, etc. It's about a very nice card that has a decent price on it that could/should be a great investment for someone. That's it. Wasn't trying to cause a fuss.

• Options

This is a quote from Jayman 1982's 2021 post regarding OPC rough cuts:

"In the video I just posted the rough cuts allegedly occurred when OPC employees were given bonuses for producing higher volumes of cards to ship. They ended up putting more sheets in the cutting machine and the blade ended up tearing through the stack instead of a cleaner cut that would have been the case if a normal thickness of sheets was loaded."

Clearly, rough cuts were not an automatic result of the blades used by OPC only; other factors determined the type of cuts from one pass through the cutting machine to the next, including the number of sheets being fed through. I personally prefer rough cuts, but don't avoid buying nice clean cut OPC's depending upon the circumstances.

• Options

Here's the video posted by Jayman 1982 referenced above (discussion about and photo of OPC cutting machine begins at 15-minute mark):

https://youtu.be/Apwx_w5cSXA

• Options

Steely Dan has brought the receipts!!!

• Options

someone pulled the trigger and bought the 1981 opc ryan psa 10. Great value. Mantle then Ryan on the hierarchy collecting list for baseball.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    someone pulled the trigger and bought the 1981 opc ryan psa 10. Great value. Mantle then Ryan on the hierarchy collecting list for baseball.

You place Ryan that high? above Aaron, Clemente and Mays? Ruth? Cobb? I tend to like the answer about Ryan, but I am also a biased Ryan collector.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

the years that both were playing are certainly all Nolan Ryan. A centered sharp looking Ryan at any grade, 1968 - 1986, will not last long on EBAY. Ryan doesn't have the collecting power of Mantle, but in my opinion he's second.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 11:40AM

@olb31 said:
    the years that both were playing are certainly all Nolan Ryan. A centered sharp looking Ryan at any grade, 1968 - 1986, will not last long on EBAY. Ryan doesn't have the collecting power of Mantle, but in my opinion he's second.

I’ve always found that hard to understand. Why would Ryan be more in demand than say Seaver? I get that being a better player isn’t everything, but unlike Mantle, I don’t really understand what makes Ryan so special.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@olb31 said:

I’ve always found that hard to understand. Why would Ryan be more in demand than say Seaver? I get that being a better player isn’t everything, but unlike Mantle, I don’t really understand what makes Ryan so special.

Chicks dig the long ball, and guys dig the K’s and that heater.

• Options

To me just watching them play, when Nolan Ryan took the mound it was something special. Ryan clemens and randy, were just amazing to watch. those are my top three. I know Maddux, Glavine Seaver Carlton were all great and fund to watch too, but not like those three.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    To me just watching them play, when Nolan Ryan took the mound it was something special. Ryan clemens and randy, were just amazing to watch. those are my top three. I know Maddux, Glavine Seaver Carlton were all great and fund to watch too, but not like those three.

That's a great big three! All three seemed to share a semi mean streak to them.

One of my favorites was Doc Gooden, when he would throw that massive curve ball.

It would have a been a huge thrill to see Muhammad Ali fight. I would have also liked to see the Eagles live from the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland in 1977. When Joe Walsh joined the Eagles it was like getting Randy Moss in a trade.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

Pedro Martinez pitching was always an event, not just a game.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nolan Ryan 7 No Hitters and fighting and punishing a much younger Robin Ventura. Stuff of legends. Agree on Pedro, place was electric in all ways

• Options

@dan89 said:
    Nolan Ryan 7 No Hitters and fighting and punishing a much younger Robin Ventura. Stuff of legends. Agree on Pedro, place was electric in all ways

For sure. Ryan is a legend. All the Ks, the no-nos and the longevity.

Gibson and Maddux are my all-time favorites, but Ryan is the legend.

• Options

It would have a been a huge thrill to see Muhammad Ali fight. I would have also liked to see the Eagles live from the Capital Centre in Landover, Maryland in 1977. When Joe Walsh joined the Eagles it was like getting Randy Moss in a trade.

Ahhh, the Capital Centre in Landover. That was where I saw my first concert in 88. The Cure Disintegration. Incredible show and memories. Harlem Globetrotters and Washington Capitals in 1980. Ice Capades closer to that 1977 timeframe you mention. Ha. Shame that place is gone.

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2024 12:33AM

Ahhh, the Capital Centre in Landover. That was where I saw my first concert in 88. The Cure Disintegration. Incredible show and memories. Harlem Globetrotters and Washington Capitals in 1980. Ice Capades closer to that 1977 timeframe you mention. Ha. Shame that place is gone.

And don't we all have those memories...........First Concert Ever, Alice Cooper 1970 Sacramento Memorial Auditorium 1970, Led Zepplin, Keiser Pavilion SF 1971, Grateful Dead, California State Fair 1968-1969, Rolling Stones Bouldert Stadium 1982. At least 25 different Day on the Green, Oakland A's Stadium Ca. 1972-1978. 1976 First ever was Opener Dave Mason, second act Spooky Tooth (Think Gary Wright Dream Weaver), then the show got good! First EVER Concert with Fleetwood Macs New members Buckingham & Nicks! Then the First Concert that Peter Frampton ever performed his Frampton Comes Alive Entire Album! And Robin Trower to close!

YeeHaw!

Neil

• Options

OMG I have 3 older Sister's and would have to go to Ice Capades! :s

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@thedutymon11 said:

And don't we all have those memories...........First Concert Ever, Alice Cooper 1970 Sacramento Memorial Auditorium 1970, Led Zepplin, Keiser Pavilion SF 1971, Grateful Dead, California State Fair 1968-1969, Rolling Stones Bouldert Stadium 1982. At least 25 different Day on the Green, Oakland A's Stadium Ca. 1972-1978. 1976 First ever was Opener Dave Mason, second act Spooky Tooth (Think Gary Wright Dream Weaver), then the show got good! First EVER Concert with Fleetwood Macs New members Buckingham & Nicks! Then the First Concert that Peter Frampton ever performed his Frampton Comes Alive Entire Album! And Robin Trower to close!

YeeHaw!

Neil

Lucky Dog! I got to see some of those in the 80's or 90's. If I had a time machine! :D