Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which Proof Walkers do you like better? UPDATE - I upgraded.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2024 4:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

or

or

or

Comments

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

I like the near cameos best so the 1st 39 and 1st 40. I 'd go for the 1st 41 as well - smooth toning better than splotchy. The reverse on the 41 is quite nice the obverse not as much.
    I am sure many will prefer the toned examples.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the second 1939 (which is easily my favorite of the group), the first 1940 and the first 1941.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1st 39

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

1, 3 and 6 my favorites. All Beauties though.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

All are very nice, no question about that. I like the second 39. Then I like the second 40.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number two for all of them.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

1939: 2
    1940: 2
    1941: 1 I guess, but depending on how bright the color is versus appearing hazy, I might say I don’t really like either. But of the two, I’ll take 1.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I’ll add that of the 6, 1939 #2 is the one I want to own.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17, 2024 8:32PM

I like toners. I like both the 39s. I like the first one the best. It would probably cost me Less also. (Grades being equal)

Edited to say the second 39 is a nicer coin. I just like the mirrors and contrast on the first one.

Martin

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wondering if this is an exhibit of how you have two contrasting styles of proof photos, neither of which let you see the surfaces.

1939: 2 - My favorite of all of them
    1940: 2 - Nice color, doesn't seem hazy like #1 seems.
    1941: 1 - Bonus here is that the die has really good low-relief detail rather than being polished to death. Not sure if the color looks hazy in hand, though.

• Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

2,1,1 I like them all ! 41 #1 my favorite

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first 1939.

ALL are great coins!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can’t answer without consistent camera lighting. Do like them all. 👍🏻

• Options
    edited January 17, 2024 9:39PM

Thanks for your replies. They show a wide variety of preferences.

The second 1941 is the no AW variety. The designer's initials are missing on the reverse (due to over polishing of the reverse die).

The first 1941 has the designer's initials.

I will provide more information about these coins in the coming days.

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭✭

The second 1939, the first 1940 and the first 1941.

I'd love to see the first 1939 in hand; the pics are dark, but it looks clean in the fields.

imageimage

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

2, 4, 5 (obverse spots on #6 are too distracting for me)

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1st '39.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 700 ✭✭✭✭

The 1939 and the first 1941 as it has good feather detail and initials. Either way, as a whole I don't think the proof Walkers are the best expressions of Weinman's work because its been documented that he objected to coins with polished surfaces.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second 39 and the second 1940.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

Number two for all three groups

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 for me.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1st 39

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

The '39 and '40, the first ones. The '41 the second one.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭

A proof Walking Liberty Half dollar is most always a beautiful coin (and well beyond my budget). Thank you for sharing these examples.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2nd 1939. An awesome coin.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the contrasted coins, but the toners are nice too. No losers in that group.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which Proof Walkers do you like better?
    I assume you want to know 1 from each year
    If so then
    the 2nd one
    the 2nd one
    the 1st one
    I'd take any of them to be honest :)

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

I don't have a proof walker so I'd gladly take any of them.

• Options

The second 41 for me.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

Some great looking Walking halves. If I gotta pick favorites they are...

2nd example 1939
    1st example 1940
    1st example 1941

etexmike

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to say and one coin's photo seems to emphasize the cameo contrast whereas the other shows the toning better. I'd need to see them in hand.

My best guess is that I like the 2nd 39 and the 1st 41 the best....at least from the photos.

jom

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a question on the third coin down from tgr top 1940.
    Is it toned or something else?
    I've seen it before and I didn't know what to make of it.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2024 12:55PM

@Morgan13 yes it is toned blue from the original proof set packaging.

Edit to fix autocorrect

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Blast white or toned original. All are great. For me, preference would be no 2's

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some very interesting comments in this thread.

A few thoughts based on my experience with 36-42 Proofs.

Almost all of these Walkers are average, both in eye appeal and overall detail. The exception to this is the second 1939, which seems to be much more attractive than the rest due to a lovely rainbow spot tone ringing the obverse.

Here would be how I would describe the coins.

1st 1939: Weak contrast, common to most 1939 Proof halves is visible. Detail is slightly above average, but overall not significantly better than normal. Hairlines are present in the fields on both sides of the coin, which results in the grade of PR64. The coin was likely dipped at some point, and seems to have had a large amount of handling.

2nd 1939: Strong color on the obverse leads is readily apparent and gives an attractive to very attractive eye appeal. Detail is average for 1939 halves. A light haze is present, and the color, haze, and lack of hairlines seems to point to this coin being original, perhaps kept in a set for some time before grading. This is a coin that I would recommend to a collector of these Proofs. The PR67 grade seems fitting, but an in hand inspection would be necessary. Most certainly the best coin of the six, by a wide margin. 1939 halves are generally among the best of the 6 years Proof Walkers were made, and this coin shows what an attractive original piece looks like.

1st 1940: A light blue haze is present on the obverse and reverse, but does not impress an attractive appearance. The reverse in particular has some streaks, and light long hairlines run vertically in the right obverse. The PR67 grade seems slightly high in this case, but an in hand inspection would be necessary to confirm. Detail is average for 1940 Proofs. The coin appears to have been dipped at some point and then retoned, perhaps in an album.

2nd 1940: Deep colorations from haze are present on both sides, and this along with the spotting points to an original piece. The spots on the coin bring the eye appeal to a neutral area, but without them the coin would likely be attractive. The images do not provide an angle to analyze the grade of the piece. Detail is average.

1st 1941: A unique color pattern graces both sides, which depending on the viewer would range from highly attractive to highly unattractive. The tone strikes me as secondary, perhaps from an album or similar product. Spotting on the reverse is present, and overall detail is weak. Without seeing the coin in hand, the hairlines cannot be accurately judged, but I feel the PR65 grade is likely correct due to the overall appearance of the piece. Again, the taste of the viewer of this coin will make a significant difference in how it is perceived.

2nd 1941: Detail is extremely poor. The coin has a light haze which is original in appearance. Overall eye appeal is neutral to unattractive due to the weak detail, but the PR66 grade seems to point to a lack of significant hairlines. Unfortunately, the images are not taken at an angle to see any. This die pair is known as the "no AW" die pair due to the significant over polishing of the dies removing the raised designer's initials on the die. Many enthusiasts of 36-42 Proofs avoid this die due to degraded eye appeal.

Overall, this group is representative of the current market in Proof Walking Liberty halves, and is very similar to what I saw at FUN in the 1936-1942 Proofs series. Truly attractive coins are hard to find, but they are highly impressive when they are found. I always encourage collectors to wait to find the best of the coins they can afford, such as the three below. That also includes finding at times the dates that provide the best examples.

1939:

(I wish there was a better CAM example than the 1938 above, but alas I can only work with what's on CoinFacts. I'd call that CAM a liner coin).

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

I owned the first pictured 1939, 1940 and 1941 halves. They grade PF64, PF67 and PF65 respectively.

The second pictured coins are graded PF67, PF67 and PF66 respectively. These coins were acquired by a dealer I work with from a long time collector.

I met the dealer today and compared my three coins with his. I ended up acquiring his PF67 1939 to upgrade my PF64. As part of the deal the dealer took my PF64 in trade.

My old PF64 has good eye appeal but it has substantial hairlines. The PF67 is more attractive.

So my 1939 Registry Set will upgrade.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file