Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What one-word coin description would be the most important to hear from a trusted seller?

MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're being offered a coin from a trusted seller with whom you've done business previously.
You have an unconditional return privilege, but don't get to see any images.
What one-word description of the coin would be the most important for you to hear, and cause you to order it?

If, under such conditions, you wouldn't order a coin, there's no need to reply with "None", etc. ;)

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Comments

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭

Guaranteed
    I would hope the seller would guarantee that his description is true.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoken, not written, right?

• Options
    DarkStarDarkStar Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    You're being offered a coin from a trusted seller with whom you've done business previously.
    What one-word description of the coin would be the most important for you to hear, and cause you to order it?

If, under such conditions, you wouldn't order a coin, there's no need to reply with "None", etc. ;)

I'm thinking of a very specific trusted seller. In such situations, the trigger word he uses is "ok".

There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who do not.

• Options

@Fraz said:

Either.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 4:36AM

MoneyBack or BOGO :D

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 5:44AM

"Wholesale"

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slamdunk (I made it a compound word 🤣)!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 6:29AM

“Superlustrous”. Those that know me call me a “Luster Whore”, as I swoon and oftentimes will do anything for a very highly lustrous coin (as long as it has a CAC sticker), lol.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Original

Please don’t take offense, but in the past when a dealer showed me a coin with poor eye appeal, he would say, “but that proves its originality”.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gift

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Slamdunk (I made it a compound word 🤣)!

That was a nice try (at using two words, rather than one).
    But no. ;)

• Options

See my above edit, lol.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:
    CAC

Sorry, that’s not a word.😉

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

Free....sorry but that one word catches my attention more than most other words :) 'If it's free, it's for me!'

Actually one word is tough...since it is a well known (to me) and trusted dealer I would think they would no what type of coin I was looking for and what my price range is so 'great' might do the trick, as in 'This is a great coin for your type set.'

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 6:47AM

@DisneyFan said:
    CAC

THIS

OTH, we now all used the term 'Caced' is it 'Caced'? etc. so even if not in the Webster's dictionary, it is still a term used.........

"Term vs Word

Although the terms “word” and “term” are often used interchangeably, they do have distinct meanings. A word is a meaningful element within a language, whereas a term is a word that carries a specific meaning in a particular context. In other words, all terms are words, but not all words are terms. Words carry a general meaning that is understood by the majority of people, while terms have a more specialized meaning in specific situations or disciplines."

So Mark, I respectfully believe that the term 'CAC', or 'Caced' are now or could be, categorized as words. Hence these words are what I want to hear most from a seller.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,833 ✭✭✭✭✭

Timeless

One word that captures my attention but who writes or says it would matter more.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tettenhorst. o:)

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unique!!!

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Well struck.

• Options

Guaranteed (written).

@MFeld said:

@Fraz said:

Either.

Otherwise, hello does it.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original has been mentioned several times, so i’ll refer back to an old numismatic friend who used the term “Natural “ and i knew exactly what the coin would look like before i saw it

• Options
    epcepc Posts: 170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2024 7:12AM

From a dealer I trust, and who knows what I'm looking for, perhaps a word that indicates that he or she thinks it would be a good fit in my collection. Say, "fitting", or "matching". That said, I don't think I would ever* buy sight-unseen. It's risky enough even when the photos are good. The 100% return privilege is nice, but still a hassle. I prefer the up-close and personal evaluation from the start...
    *The only coins I ever bought sight-unseen were GSA CC Morgans many, many years ago.

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Bowtie-fantastic". (Do hyphens make it one word?). A reference to a long departed (from the forum) troll.

If the dealer and I knew each other well, the compelling word would be "perfect".

Not as is in flawless condition, but as in perfect for me.

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extraordinary

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

yours

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Original

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to see images or no sale.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wholesome

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Holed

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

fitting

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@ctf_error_coins said:
    I have to see images or no sale.

“If, under such conditions, you wouldn't order a coin, there's no need to reply with "None", etc. ;)

I can answer the question anyway I want and answered it honestly.

Get off your high horse.

Read, or appear obtuse—we’re generating a lexicon with specified criteria. Don’t lash out.

I know that you are a good businessman with common sense.
    Few members would act without photos.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Not seeing any images is not as unlikely as it appears to be. I think the key word here is "seller." This is not necessarily a DEALER, it could be a vest pocket relationship you have developed with someone who isn't setup to provide pictures.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gem

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unmolested.

bob :)
    vegas, baby!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@MFeld said:

Not seeing any images is not as unlikely as it appears to be. I think the key word here is "seller." This is not necessarily a DEALER, it could be a vest pocket relationship you have developed with someone who isn't setup to provide pictures.

Also, unconditional return privilege. I don't really see a downside, even if the buyer is disappointed with the seller's assessment.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file