Home Precious Metals
Options

Will BRICS replace the dollar as the world's reserve currency?

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

I would just like folk to view in context. To understand what they are actually seeing and reading and to make decisions based on clear reason and rationalization, rather than fear, bias or contempt.

Trends provide plenty of context. Their direction make markets.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." - Albert Einstein

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2024 6:23AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

I would just like folk to view in context. To understand what they are actually seeing and reading and to make decisions based on clear reason and rationalization, rather than fear, bias or contempt.

Like the trend of Beanie Babies, NFTs and Stanley cups? No reason or rationalization and lots of manipulation.

Thanks for helping prove my point.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited January 14, 2024 10:26AM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Like the trend of Beanie Babies, NFTs and Stanley cups? No reason or rationalization and lots of manipulation.

And lots of profits for those smart enough to know when to sell. It's how profits are made in any market. Show me the "manipulation" in your three examples. Buyers/seller manipulated the markets (as it should be).

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." - Albert Einstein

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

And lots of profits for those smart enough to know when to sell. It's how profits are made in any market. Show me the "manipulation" in your three examples. Buyers/seller manipulated the markets (as it should be).

Yup, just like the present day markets for everything. Im glad we've finally settled this manipulation conspiracy.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2024 6:49PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Yup, just like the present day markets for everything. Im glad we've finally settled this manipulation conspiracy.

And as most of us are smart enough to realize markets that include futures tradng are not fully "manipulated (determined)" by the buyers and sellers of the actual product. The futures traders, with their unlimited supply of paper "product," have a big say in setting/manipulating prices without being involved in trading the actual product. Any time outsiders have a say in market price (this includes government price fixing) a true market (where buyers/sellers of the actual product set price) does not exist. When a true market ceases to exist, it becomes manipulative. The unlimited supply futures "paper products" heavily distorts the price equilibrium that is set in the free market. In doing so it becomes a manipulative factor in setting price. As far as I know there are no futures options with your example of Beanie Babies, NFTs and Stanley cups; their price, as it should be. is determined by the buyers and sellers of the physical product.

Surely you realize that government price setting (fixing) is price manipulation. Futures trading is no different. Neither group is participants in the actual product market yet have influence on market price. And yes, when outsiders have an affect on market price, it is a conspiracy and not simply a theory. Politicians conspire to fix a price. Futures traders are no different.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    And lots of profits for those smart enough to know when to sell. It's how profits are made in any market. Show me >the "manipulation" in your three examples. Buyers/seller manipulated the markets (as it should be).

Thinly-traded items can overshoot to the upside or downside. You need both size and liquidity.

Emotions also play a role.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2024 8:46AM

@derryb said:
    And as most of us are smart enough to realize markets that include futures tradng are not fully "manipulated (determined)" by the buyers and sellers of the actual product. The futures traders, with their unlimited supply of paper "product," have a big say in setting/manipulating prices without being involved in trading the actual product. Any time outsiders have a say in market price (this includes government price fixing) a true market (where buyers/sellers of the actual product set price) does not exist. When a true market ceases to exist, it becomes manipulative. The unlimited supply futures "paper products" heavily distorts the price equilibrium that is set in the free market. In doing so it becomes a manipulative factor in setting price. As far as I know there are no futures options with your example of Beanie Babies, NFTs and Stanley cups; their price, as it should be. is determined by the buyers and sellers of the physical product.
    Surely you realize that government price setting (fixing) is price manipulation. Futures trading is no different. Neither group is participants in the actual product market yet have influence on market price. And yes, when outsiders have an affect on market price, it is a conspiracy and not simply a theory. Politicians conspire to fix a price. Futures traders are no different.

You don't understand how futures markets work -- or markets in general. Give us names, and tell us if they want the price HIGHER or LOWER. I can find forces at work on both sides. Your "conspiracy" and price-fixing allegations are nonsense.

Markets can overshoot and prices can diverge from fair value or be manipulated for a short period of time, but not forever. Go ask Dr. Copper. :D

• Options
    edited January 15, 2024 8:52AM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:

You don't understand how futures markets work -- or markets in general. Give us names, and tell us if they want the price HIGHER or LOWER. I can find forces at work on both sides. Your "conspiracy" and price-fixing allegations are nonsense.

Markets can overshoot and prices can diverge from fair value or be manipulated for a short period of time, but not forever. Go ask Dr. Copper. :D

I do know how metals futures markets work and if they were not manipulating the metals spot price the Department of Justice would not have charged them (and settled) numerous times for doing so.

Manipulating markets for your claimed short period of time can make a difference in the long run when that manipulation is carried on for numerous, consecutive hits.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2024 11:31AM

There is an incentive for governments to manipulate the price of precious metals lower because the precious metals are viewed as an alternative currency. That last thing governments want to see happen is for people to ditch the fiat currency in favor of tangible assets.

There is also an incentive for governments to manipulate lower the prices for commodities because that reduces inflation and allows more fiat currency to be issued without generation as much price inflation.

PS:
    The US Government has in the past "manipulated" (fixed) the price of gold at $20.67 ($35 starting in 1933). They also attempted to hold the price of silver at $0.50 .

Ownership of monetary gold was illegal for American citizens from 1933 to 1974.

The "Silver Tax Act", which was in effect from 1934 to 1963, was not really about raising revenue. It was about manipulating people away from silver. The Act required that 50% of all profits from silver bullion trades be remitted to the US Treasury.

These ownership bans and taxes are a heavy-handed form of manipulation.

• Options

This isn't 1970. If the governments want anything lower, it's BitCoin and cryptocurrencies.

The gold market is tiny compared to them.

Gold and silver prohibitions on ownership are null and void everywhere.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    There is an incentive for governments to manipulate the price of precious metals lower because the precious metals are viewed as an alternative currency.

The only problem with your logic is that if anything the price of gutter has been manipulated HIGHER not lower. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Peter89Peter89 Posts: 66 ✭✭
    edited January 15, 2024 2:37PM

@dcarr said:

If the US Treasury were to issue a digital currency with a fee structure somewhat like credit cards, then that 3% (or similar) rake could replace income taxes.

It could end up with a "poor" household of 5 paying more fees/taxes than a wealthy 1-person-household (5 persons producing more transaction volume than 1)

• Options

@dcarr said:

The total quantity of digital dollars would not be capped

Restrictive monetary policy could be further implemented by limiting the quantity of new digital dollars issued in a given year.

So if I understand it right, Central Banks would still decide about Monetary policy.
    I prefer the power over people's money taken away from them.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:
    And lots of profits for those smart enough to know when to sell. It's how profits are made in any market. Show me >the "manipulation" in your three examples. Buyers/seller manipulated the markets (as it should be).

Thinly-traded items can overshoot to the upside or downside. You need both size and liquidity.

Emotions also play a role.

Emotions ALWAYS play a role and is why so many are manipulated, especially those that see manipulation everywhere....unless it suits their narrative.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:

Been telling him that for 2 decades. Lol

Funny though that some never see manipulation when they are the beneficiary.

• Options
    pmbugpmbug Posts: 92 ✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    ... BitCoin and cryptocurrencies.

What? Market cap for crypto markets is around $1.7T:

https://coinmarketcap.com/

The market cap for the gold market is around $13T:

https://companiesmarketcap.com/gold/marketcap/

Yelling at clouds on pmbug.com

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I question whether manipulation can exist very long in a free market.

Other issues are more important to me, some of which are discussed in this article. I don't agree with all of it, but there are some relevant points being made. The dollar is suffering from a slow but sure death by a thousand cuts.

https://goldswitzerland.com/more-golden-and-black-gold-proof-the-dollar-is-totally-screwed/

• Options

@pmbug said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    ... BitCoin and cryptocurrencies.

What? Market cap for crypto markets is around $1.7T:
    https://coinmarketcap.com/
    The market cap for the gold market is around $13T:
    https://companiesmarketcap.com/gold/marketcap/

I'm talking daily trading volumes. For gold, it's about $60 billion daily. I think crypto is much higher.

Certainly, the fixed income (Treasury/MBS) markets are. Forex, too (> $7 trillion daily).

• Options
    edited January 16, 2024 9:17AM

The Federal Reserve System is brilliant in its set-up and how it has functioned compared to other central banks, with maybe the exception of the Bundesbank through 2000.

The Board of Governors....the FOMC...setting up 12 banks to hit every region reflecting ALL the sectors of the U.S. economy......the rotating voting members of the FOMC.....the permanance of the NY Fed.....brilliant !! :)

• Options
    edited January 16, 2024 10:10AM

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    The Federal Reserve System is brilliant in its set-up and how it has functioned compared to other central banks, with maybe the exception of the Bundesbank through 2000.

The Board of Governors....the FOMC...setting up 12 banks to hit every region reflecting ALL the sectors of the U.S. economy......the rotating voting members of the FOMC.....the permanance of the NY Fed.....brilliant !! :)

Fed Governors enriching themselves and their friends via "insider" trading - brilliant !
    That is, until they have to resign.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    This isn't 1970. If the governments want anything lower, it's BitCoin and cryptocurrencies.

Gold and silver prohibitions on ownership are null and void everywhere.

False. In terms of market capitalization, gold is much larger than crypto-currency.

Governments don't want people to abandon their fiat currencies in favor of gold.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    Fed Governors enriching themselves and their friends via "insider" trading - brilliant !

Clueless again. :D

They take a 90% paycut to serve. You really think they can make up that $$$ with their trading prowess ?

• Options
    edited January 16, 2024 10:19AM

@dcarr said:
    False. In terms of market capitalization, gold is much larger than crypto-currency.
    Governments don't want people to abandon their fiat currencies in favor of gold.

Trading-wise, gold does $60 billion a day.

The U.S. Treasury and MBS markets do $600 billion and $400 billion daily. Forex markets do $7 trillion a day.

You think they worry about gold ???? :D

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:

Trading-wise, gold does $60 billion a day.

The U.S. Treasury and MBS markets do $600 billion and $400 billion daily. Forex markets do $7 trillion a day.

You think they worry about gold ???? :D

Yes. It is a competing currency. Gold is not a "tiny" market compared to crypto-currency and where did you get that idea ?

• Options
    edited January 16, 2024 10:59AM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:

Clueless again. :D

Two FED governors resigned when it was brought to light that they had engaged in insider trading. That is a documented fact. Only a "clueless" person denies it.

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    They take a 90% paycut to serve. You really think they can make up that $$$ with their trading prowess ?

With inside information they sure can, and then some.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2024 5:13PM

The FED is a highly political organization. It is necessary to get away with fleecing the sheep.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    Yes. It is a competing currency. Gold is not a "tiny" market compared to crypto-currency and where did you get that >idea ?

In 1980, gold and the Forex markets each traded $1 billion daily.

Today, gold trades $60 billion a day.....the Forex market trades $7 trillion a day.

Gold isn't a competing currency. Financial assets reign supreme.

• Options

@derryb said:
    The FED is a highly political organization. It is necessary to get away with fleecing the sheep.

How many Fed Governors or FOMC peopel can you name ?

• Options

@dcarr said:

There's no "inside information" as Fed members don't discuss their positions amongst themselves.

Again, you never were a Fed Watcher so you aren't qualified to comment on this. Sorry. :)

• Options
    edited January 17, 2024 1:01AM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:

How many Fed Governors or FOMC peopel can you name ?

Do you mean the governors nominated by the president and confirmed by the senate? It's not about who they are, it's about what they are: POLITICAL APPOINTEES. And if you are not a current governor and hope to become one it's very likely you will want to do the bidding of the party in charge.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:

There's no "inside information" as Fed members don't discuss their positions amongst themselves.

Again, you never were a Fed Watcher so you aren't qualified to comment on this. Sorry. :)

Their decisions are always inside information before they become public. Can you name the two governors who resigned because of a trading scandal in 2020?

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:

How do you know ?
    Do you spy and eavesdrop on them 24 hours a day ?

• Options
    edited January 17, 2024 1:30AM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:
    Yes. It is a competing currency. Gold is not a "tiny" market compared to crypto-currency and where did you get that >idea ?

Today, gold trades $60 billion a day.....the Forex market trades $7 trillion a day.

World Central Bank buying of gold says otherwise.
    In the European Union, gold is a "Tier 1" asset, which means that it is just as good as "cash" for purposes of bank reserve requirements. Alan Greenspan said that "gold is the ultimate form of payment".

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Peter89 said:

@dcarr said:

If the US Treasury were to issue a digital currency with a fee structure somewhat like credit cards, then that 3% (or similar) rake could replace income taxes.

It could end up with a "poor" household of 5 paying more fees/taxes than a wealthy 1-person-household (5 persons producing more transaction volume than 1)

Although remotely possible, the likely outcome is the rich single person spends many multiples of the poor family in actual dollars making their percentage the same but total revenue more.
    I’m not in favor of the digital currency option, but am in favor of a more even, easier tax structure.

• Options

And this is the makings of a reserve currency? Haha

War in Ukraine Drains Nearly Half of Russia’s Liquid Assets https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-01-17/war-in-ukraine-drains-nearly-half-of-accessible-russian-reserves

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you’ve just illustrated is that financial assets have been inflated by more than a hundred times relative to gold, since 1980.

I doubt that industrial production or agricultural production has increased by anywhere that order of magnitude since then.

It’s all about financialization, derivatives and theft of collateral - by the financial elitists, just as David Webb is saying in his book, “The Great Taking”.

It’s about time that this is all being documented.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2024 12:55PM

The FED: A Long History of Political Interference

"It’s not that the Fed doesn’t care about politics. They do. It’s simply the case that they’re good at keeping their heads down and leaving no fingerprints at the scene of the crime."

• Options

@bigjpst said:

@Peter89 said:

@dcarr said:

Although remotely possible, the likely outcome is the rich single person spends many multiples of the poor family in actual dollars making their percentage the same but total revenue more.

Okay, but even if the percentage the same: does a 3% tax rate "hurt" the wealthy one just as much as a 3% tax rate hurts the poor one?

• Options
    edited January 22, 2024 10:54AM

Chinese stocks back at 2009 lows....they're selling dollars to defend their currency...capital controls....CEOs of companies with large cash balances being "detained" unless their companies fork over money for "social justice" concerns.

Yeah, this is a country I want to stash my life savings in........ :D

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    Chinese stocks back at 2009 lows....they're selling dollars to defend their currency...capital controls....CEOs of companies with large cash balances being "detained" unless their companies fork over money for "social justice" concerns.

Well you just wait man. You'll see. Do your research!! Didn't you see that chart that showed like half the earth moving away from the dollar. It was this huge area of red and a much smaller area of blue. It's a giant red wave coming man
    Do your research!!

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

But like coho says "it can never happen here." LOL It's already begun.

• Options

@derryb said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

ALL TIME RECORD HIGHS for the S&P and Dow, that's what my account balances are showing today. PHAT!

• Options
    edited January 23, 2024 12:46AM

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

ALL TIME RECORD HIGHS for the S&P and Dow, that's what my account balances are showing today. PHAT!

Yes, due to your incessant boasting we all know how great you do all the time, with everything :p
    But I think reality is somewhat different.

Get a second mortgage on your house and put all the money in the stock market.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

Yes, due to your incessant boasting we all know how great you do all the time, with everything :p

C'mon man. Give derry a break. Lol

For the record, and I'll say it now since I never did before, "it can never happen here".

• Options

@bigjpst said:

@Peter89 said:

@dcarr said:

Yes, that would be the usual case. I was rather addressing the exceptions.
    I was thinking about me and a family of five who I knew, only the father worked, a modest job as employee in a little company in a countryside.
    I'm not wealthy but for sure wealthier than them, I try to live frugally, I bet on average they'd produce a bigger transaction volume - and so pay more taxes - than me.

• Options
    edited January 27, 2024 8:59AM

@dcarr said:

How is that any different from the Gold Bugs incessant cheerleading and predictions whereby 99% of them fall flat on their face ?

That wouldn't have been a bad strategy unless you did it in early-2020, 2007 or 2008, 2000, or August 1987. :D

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@dcarr said:

How is that any different from the Gold Bugs incessant cheerleading and predictions whereby 99% of them fall flat on their face ?

That wouldn't have been a bad strategy unless you did it in early-2020, 2007 or 2008, 2000, or August 1987. :D

Me thinks he just gets bitter because he is stuck in the gutter while the rest of us know that the key to success is diversification. RGDS!.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill Holter noted recently that the Treasury is going to have to roll over about $10 trillion in debt in the near future - at interest rates a lot higher than the debt that is expiring, all while gov.com is racking up new debt (via deficit spending) at an exponentially-increasing rate.

Some folks fixate on a “gutter mentality”, when it might be wiser to focus on what’s going on around the globe and how that impacts financial conditions in the West. Silver isn’t just an industrial commodity, and silver’s utility as money will have its day. It’s not rocket science.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Famed Analyst’s Final Forecast Is the Fall of the U.S. Economy

“The dollar is finished as the world’s reserve currency,” Mr. Bove said matter-of-factly, perched in an armchair outside his home office just north of Tampa, from which he predicted that China will overtake the U.S. economy. No other analysts will say the same because they are, as he put it, “monks praying to money,” unwilling to speak out on the mainstream financial system that employs them.

• Options

China having a higher GDP than the USA doesn't mean China is dominant.

Why yall so afraid of China?

This discussion has been closed.