Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint PR: United States Mint and Royal Mint Announce Collaborative Design

GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 9, 2024 1:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

United States Mint and Royal Mint Announce Collaborative Design
January 9, 2024

WASHINGTON / Wales – The United States Mint and The Royal Mint today announced the collaborative design created by both mints’ Chief Engravers for the 2024 Liberty & Britannia Program.

Following a successful joint project in 2021 featuring the 400th Anniversary of the Mayflower Voyage coins and medals, the United States Mint and The Royal Mint are working together once again on a different type of project. This one features a unique design collaboration between the Chief Engravers of two of the world’s largest and oldest Mints. The collaborative design features Liberty and Britannia, two historical themes featured on many coins over the years, but never together on one unified design. American Liberty, historically represented by a woman in her many variations, represents that bedrock value that is so important to Americans. She has appeared on U.S. coinage since the early years of the Nation. Britannia, a staple on British coinage since the late 1600s, has long been the national personification of Britain. Often a symbol of maritime power, this allegorical image has come to be a symbol of national pride and unity.

The United States and the United Kingdom have long shared a close relationship, based on common values and ideals. In this project, these two historic Mints have come together in a groundbreaking creative partnership, featuring the talent and skills of each mint’s Chief Engraver to produce a design unifying Liberty and Britannia on one design. The United States Mint Chief Engraver, Joseph Menna, and The Royal Mint Chief Engraver, Gordon Summers, have created a stunning design, celebrating the harmony of the figures while giving each equal prominence in the design.

The design features allegorical Liberty and Britannia depicted in stoic profile portraits featuring complementary and balancing elements suggestive of the faces on a playing card. Their appearance identifies each figure; Liberty carries a torch and is adorned with stars, while Britannia wields a trident and wears a Corinthian helmet. Inscriptions will be appropriate for each nation.

“This has been an extraordinary opportunity for the United States Mint,” said United States Mint Director Ventris C. Gibson. “This occasion marks the first time that the Chief Engravers of both mints have collaborated on a single design. The combination of their artistic talents has resulted in a truly unique design that will surely be a collecting standout. Our hope is that this project expands the reach of both mints and leads to more opportunities for growth between our institutions.”

Continues Here

Comments

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

The explanation and pics are a bit confusing. If the US is issuing a coin, what will the obverse be? Reverse design is terrible though no matter what the obverse is.

• Options

Looks like a lady boy.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

"Rule Britannia" and "Liberty" seem to be competing beliefs.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,567 ✭✭✭✭✭

Britannia looks Chinese or Asian with those eyes.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought that we modeled our coins off of the Spanish coins because we wanted to be independent of Britain. Look at us now. :'(

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Britannia looks Chinese or Asian with those eyes.

That’s Liberty with those eyes

• Options

I’m guessing the reverse will depict an American eagle posing next to Queen Elizabeth’s face?

• Options
    GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭

Kinda ugly. Unlike the CC collaboration.

• Options

Now showing on the Mint homepage.

• Options

No thanks.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2024 10:15PM

I do not see any partenership here. I question the congressmans, lady who approuve.

The Us Liberty has asiatic eye and has in the hand the flame of hope as was for AbuDabi special olimpics. The UK liberty has ancient greek war helmet with Neptun in 3 finger.

Reverse: An sun rise from clouds and sea (japan ) very big waves waters (present economy) Asiatic decorative trees and very small USA and logo.

Hope the Mint will be stuck in hands with this.

For me is no way to be in my collection. Hope they will reflect. I do not see USA or UK here.

The most ogly design for new era coins.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options

So it appears the royal mint is going to do a regular bullion (mint state?) version with King Charles on one side. And the joint coin between the 2 countries will be proof and have the trees on the one side.

If the U.S. did a bullion (mint state) version of this coin as well and sold it through the normal authorized purchaser channels (like mint state gold eagles) at a spot + x%, I think it would be successful.

The article points to the “success” of the mayflower coins as to why this is going to be created, and you’ve gotta laugh at that statement. Many coins in 2020 became keys to their series due to COVID supply shortages/mintages, but the mayflower coins were definitely not one of them. Those specific coins come along routinely at below issue price, and are still a tough sell. The mint’s definition of success is apparently different than mine.

• Options

When is the anticipated release date for this coin?

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    So it appears the royal mint is going to do a regular bullion (mint state?) version with King Charles on one side. And the joint coin between the 2 countries will be proof and have the trees on the one side.

If the U.S. did a bullion (mint state) version of this coin as well and sold it through the normal authorized purchaser channels (like mint state gold eagles) at a spot + x%, I think it would be successful.

The article points to the “success” of the mayflower coins as to why this is going to be created, and you’ve gotta laugh at that statement. Many coins in 2020 became keys to their series due to COVID supply shortages/mintages, but the mayflower coins were definitely not one of them. Those specific coins come along routinely at below issue price, and are still a tough sell. The mint’s definition of success is apparently different than mine.

It most definitely is. They sold out almost immediately. That qualifies as a success for the Mint. After that, we are on our own. People love joint releases, since they come along so rarely. As long as they don't over produce, they will once again be a "success," regardless of what happens in the secondary market.

You are misunderstanding what a "joint coin" is. The joint part is the common side, with Liberty and Britannia. The UK coins will have the king, while the US ones will have the trees. The trees clearly say "USA" and are denominated in USD. There is no such thing as a single joint coin, since each country has legal requirements that must be satisfied on legal tender coinage.

The UK website says what they will be doing. The US releases are apparently TBA. There will also likely be "joint" releases from both mints with coins from both of them.

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:
    When is the anticipated release date for this coin?

TBD.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@1madman said:

It most definitely is. They sold out almost immediately. That qualifies as a success for the Mint. After that, we are on our own. People love joint releases, since they come along so rarely. As long as they don't over produce, they will once again be a "success," regardless of what happens in the secondary market.

You are misunderstanding what a "joint coin" is. The joint part is the common side, with Liberty and Britannia. The UK coins will have the king, while the US ones will have the trees. The trees clearly say "USA" and are denominated in USD. There is no such thing as a single joint coin, since each country has legal requirements that must be satisfied on legal tender coinage.

The UK website says what they will be doing. The US releases are apparently TBA. There will also likely be "joint" releases from both mints with coins from both of them.

Thanks for clarifying as I’m really not into joint coins. So the Brits get their gold version as a bullion mint state spot + small percent markup, and the Americans get a proof for spot + $1000?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another hunk of bullion.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2024 8:15AM

I'll be the odd man out and say I like the design, especially the reverse, although I would like it better had they left the sky between the trees clear. It's too cluttered. They could have put most of that along the lower rim area, incuse in the waves and shore.
    "Liberty and Britannia" should be on the obverse next to their respective profiles.

I also like Miss Liberty, but then I have a thing for women of color, so I am partially biased! ;)

However, I won't be buying it at the markup the mint will apply...

• Options

@1madman said:

@NJCoin said:

@1madman said:

Thanks for clarifying as I’m really not into joint coins. So the Brits get their gold version as a bullion mint state spot + small percent markup, and the Americans get a proof for spot + $1000?

You're welcome! No one knows what form(s) the American version will take. That will be up to the Mint.

But, yes, unlike other countries the US does not make a gazillion different bullion products. Distributors don't really want to deal with them, and they really are directed at collectors, so the Mint would rather collect the collector premiums associated with collector products rather than sell them through bullion channels and then have to deal with dealers marking up bullion products when supply does not meet collector demand.

• Options

One thing is not clear to me!
    Are we going to have 2 different designs one by the U.S Mint and one by the UK Mint? Or just one?
    For example in the picture below, it says Liberty (no Britannia)!

• Options

Libertannia

• Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

Not a fan. Should have used a classic liberty image.

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the word I'm looking for, oh yeah, idiotic.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    TrampTramp Posts: 666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was this created with AI? At first glance it looked like Medusa. I'll stop there because my thoughts get more negative.

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Options

@SilverPlatinum said:
    One thing is not clear to me!
    Are we going to have 2 different designs one by the U.S Mint and one by the UK Mint? Or just one?
    For example in the picture below, it says Liberty (no Britannia)!

What's not clear? Scroll up to the top of the thread. The UK version has a different legend, as you would expect. But the image is the same.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another thing to pass on, for many reasons.

• Options

@psuman08 said:

Absolutely.

Sadly, this is what we can expect from Ventris over at the Mint. Mark my words, they are going to complete squander the 250th coinage opportunity. The mint is going to alienate, offend, aggravate, and probably enrage the majority of this country and its numismatists. The writing is on the wall.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2024 12:43AM

Sales open for Pre-orders 2/8/2024 with an order window of 30 days.

Item Number: 24YA
    Mintage Limit: 10,000
    Product Limit: 10,000
    Household Order Limit: 1

Mint Link

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Four days away from this sale. I do like the reverse,
    looks like more Great Basin Bristlecone Pine on gold
    and also an English Yew tree!
    Ancient Evergreens. Can you tell which tree is which?

• Options

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@psuman08 said:

Absolutely.

Sadly, this is what we can expect from Ventris over at the Mint. Mark my words, they are going to complete squander the 250th coinage opportunity. The mint is going to alienate, offend, aggravate, and probably enrage the majority of this country and its numismatists. The writing is on the wall.

Yep, you are 100% correct, and the CCAC is helping facilitate it.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a brighter note, my costs of those coins will plumet to nothing! Classical art is a dead art, especially given the mindset that permeates this country these days. Still, I do not need to set aside any money, the "silver" lining in all this.

• Options

“Sales open for Pre-orders 2/8/2024 with an order window of 30 days.”

Does this mean the coin will only be available for purchase at a max of 30 days? Or is it a 30 day presale price (like the commemorative coins)?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file