Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

*** FRAUD ALLERT **

PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

BAD USPS money order

Beware

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the warning, but what are the signs of it being bad? 🤔

• Options

@MWallace said:
    Postal Inspectors would like to get involved I'm sure.

Yes, they are going to contact me via email and get more info.

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

@JBK said:
    Thanks for the warning, but what are the signs of it being bad? 🤔

Contacted the post office!
    They said NO GOOD!

• Options

@2windy2fish said:
    And you should probably cover all of your personal information…

I think all the information needs to be there, so that it's not BS!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Were these coins sold via eBay?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

there is an address and phone number of perp ... is this below the amount needed for law and prosecutors to get involved?

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 295 ✭✭✭

I've never dealt with money orders. So the issue is the 8 is fake? But why does the text say "eight" as well? I'm confused...

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Were these coins sold via eBay?

NO
    I have NO idea where it came from.

• Options
    jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

@VTchaser said:
    I've never dealt with money orders. So the issue is the 8 is fake? But why does the text say "eight" as well? I'm confused...

Looks like the text eight is partially on its own line.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2024 2:36PM

@hfjacinto said:
    Pretty obvious, the eight is fake. Here is a close up look at the font on the eights. This might have been a $100 Money Order

The 8 looked a little wonky to me from the beginning. I agree that it might have been a $100 money order - looks like the base of a 1 under the 8.

And the written word "eight" looks a little odd, as well. The background seems disrupted, and as @jerseyralph said the base line seems to be different from the rest of the text.

So, in that scenario it would be a "raised" or "washed" genuine MO.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you already mail the coins?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

the word eight and "$8" are different colors from the adjacent text

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers engaging in fraud rarely haggle on price. Seller is glad to get retail. Mouse sees cheese not trap. I would have been fooled for a couple seconds and I'd think many postal employees may not be trained before cashing a check like that. And say a teller or atm accepted it, when would it be flagged as forged instrument?

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    there is an address and phone number of perp ... is this below the amount needed for law and prosecutors to get involved?

In California, I would hazard a guess of 'YES'. (but I could be mistaken)

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options

@DoubleEagle59 said:

@davewesen said:

In California, I would hazard a guess of 'YES'. (but I could be mistaken)

You are very likely correct in regard to any state charges, but being a US Postal Money Order, there are separate federal laws, and I am pretty sure the postal inspectors would want to take action.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks to me like they took two separate money orders, one for $100.00 and a second for $8.00. They then cut the "$8" from the $8.00 MO and pasted it over the "$1" on the $100.00. Then they did the same thing with the word "Eight". Most likely they split the paper to make it thinner so as not to rise above the surrounding paper too much. It's definitely a 'Catch Me if You Can' type job.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PTVETTER said:
    BAD USPS money order

Beware

Any check can be faked. One accepts a check, whether personal, official bank, cashier's or PO money order, at your own risk. At the least, I would not think of releasing the goods until a week or more had passed after I had deposited the check. But, in reality, I would never accept a check from a stranger (well, unless I was with the purchaser when he/she went into his/her back and had the cashier's check drawn up in my presence).

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

No paper anything, including cash! To many counterfeits, unless I have my pen, but still don't like to carry cash around.

• Options

ttt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm growing fond of the good ol days when you literally cut a check

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    i'm growing fond of the good ol days when you literally cut a check

I've seen bad checks

• Options

This was reported the Doug at NCIC.
    They were aware of this and are working this case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file