Home U.S. Coin Forum

1824 B-1 Bust Quarter G-T-G : 200 Year Anniversary

1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

It's been a while since I’ve been able to do another one of these Browning variety posts, and unfortunately 1824 is another lean year with just one variety.

The 1824 Browning-1 variety is called an R-3 in both the Rea/Peterson/Karoleff/Kovach book on bust quarters, and the Tompkins book. The Tompkins book notes the obverse has a dentil count of 126, the reverse has a dentil count of 124, the edge reed count is 108, and at least 2 proofs are known from this die pairing.

The obverse die for the 1824 marriage is used for only the 1824 B-1. The reverse die was reworked after being used for the 1823 die marriage. The arrowheads were completed, and a die engraving line was left coming off the lowest arrowhead extending towards the end of the olive branch.

The reverse die is a favorite of mine as it went on to be used with the 1825 B-1 and 1828 B-2 die marriages.

This die marriage is somewhat easy to find in lower grades, but can be prohibitive in higher grades. An uncirculated example is difficult to locate and often expensive. As an example, the recent Legend sale of the Perfection Collection of bust quarters contained an AU example despite most all of the other coins in the set having uncirculated grades. While uncirculated 1824’s don’t appear often, a PCGS MS62 CAC example did just recently pop up on EBay for $92,400.00, which seems a tad high.

The example below was submitted to PCGS a number of years ago in an NGC holder for crossing. Feel free to try and guess the NGC and/or PCGS grade if you'd like. Comments are always welcome, and if you have an 1824 B-1, please post a picture of it.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.

Comments

• brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin. AU55 for both NGC and PCGS?

• GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭

Agreed ^^^^^

• jomjom Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

jom

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course, there’s often room to flex on a coin that looks as lovely as yours, but I think AU55 is pretty spot-on as the actual grade.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go with a au 50, just to be odd man out

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

55+

• DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS MS62 for mine ......(many guessed au50 to 55)

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it as a MS63..............

• TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

63 as well

Tom

• RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spectacular specimen, Hard to grade from photos, but since you asked anywhere from au58-ms63 ie au63

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

• What a nice bust quarter...
    It's tough to determine if there's any rub on Liberty's curls or the folds of her dress. A touch of rub on the eagle's talons? I'm in the AU58 camp.

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 Beautiful coin.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reveal??

• 1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

Many of you guessed correctly and were right there. It was in an old NGC holder as AU58, but it crossed to PCGS as an AU55. I’d hoped it would cross at grade, and there is very little rub besides the curls above the eye and eagles talons. I like the MS guesses because it just seems so close that things could go that way.

It’s nice seeing multiple examples of the 1824 marriage, so thank you for posting.

It’s interesting to note that there are three bust quarter dates represented by just one die marriage: 1823 mintage 1,800, 1824 mintage 16,000, and 1838 mintage 366,000.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • bustiebustie Posts: 14 ✭✭

• 1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

That’s right, I forgot the 1815 too.

I wonder how many bust half years might be represented by one variety, if any.

1TwoBits

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread & one of my favorite large size CBQ is the 1824/2. Most of them I like but I wouldn't like to own them but your's is a great coin. Below is the one i have - it has the Newman pedigree.

Easton Collection
  • BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1TwoBits said:
    That’s right, I forgot the 1815 too.

I wonder how many bust half years might be represented by one variety, if any.

1TwoBits

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • EddiEddi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭✭

The OP coin specially, but also all others posted are just beautiful examples of the 1824/2 CBQ.

In order to dispel impressions that 1824 CBQs are typically found in the grades posted, I'll go ahead and post my humble low grade example.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file