Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you spent $13,000 on coins in the 1970s...

2»

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many ways to lose money in coins, and money can be lost no matter when you buy.

There was a British coin bust in the late 70's and early 80's, to go along with the pound tanking. Silver soared in the late 70s, then tanked in 1980. Metal detecting finds throughout the 80s and to today have made some excessively rare ancient and other old coins suddenly much more common.

However, all of these fluctuations would lead to a situation where a collection built at the wrong time could lose considerable value, but not become worthless.

The only way for the collection to have become worthless is if the items were severely misrepresented at the time of sale, are counterfeit, or sustained major damage while in storage over the last few decades.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a 1909-O $5 Indian Gold in xf-au for $300
    And I bought my 1st house for $23,500 in 1971

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2024 5:08AM

Deleted

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you saved all that money until 12/12/80, and dumped it all into the Apple IPO, what would you have (Shares opened at $0.10)?

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a nice concept but why fool around. Save $10k and invest in Amazon. Bezos siblings did and now each is worth $1B.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you really wanted to make money in collectibles in the 1970's you would have purchased machine guns. Seriously.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:
    If you really wanted to make money in collectibles in the 1970's you would have purchased machine guns. Seriously.

Not easy to sell

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2024 1:05PM

Andy- you are correct. Some are worth a fraction after 50 years, others 10x or more.

Using mint errors as an example:

An Ike Dollar on a Philippine Piso blank would have been $2k in the early ‘70’s- today $1k. Thats 50% lower.

A proof Ike Dollar 3 piece clover was $5k back then. I sold a proof 3 piece Ike Dollar clover to Dr Berry 50 yrs ago for 5k. One recently sold in Heritage for $105k. Thats over 20x more!

And ofcourse the gold Indian Head Cent and $20 Liberty on a Large Cent blank that I sold in the 70’s that are worth 10x more.

https://mikebyers.com/1975catalog.html

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file