Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Found these photos of a pattern coin in my collection, update on 1st line for those interested

RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 723 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 27, 2023 12:24AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Realizing that these patterns have a small following I apologize ahead of time:

Comments

• Options
    boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super rare in red ..... Great coin!

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it - no need to apologize! :+1:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! That's beautiful!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's very beautiful, but could this even remotely be considered "red" outside of the label? The pictures show a coin that is RB. What's it look like in hand?
    And no need to apologize for posting something this awesome. Every niche of the hobby is worth a thread, and patterns are certainly no exception!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design, especially the high relief of the eagle. Truely red or not, this piece is premium!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, please never apologize for posting coins of that caliber. Just gorgeous.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a stunning coin. As @jacrispies said, the high relief of the eagle is amazing. And because the coin has been slabbed since at least 1997, I expect that its color, whatever it may be, is definitely stable.

Mark

• Options

@DCW said:
    It's very beautiful, but could this even remotely be considered "red" outside of the label? The pictures show a coin that is RB. What's it look like in hand?
    And no need to apologize for posting something this awesome. Every niche of the hobby is worth a thread, and patterns are certainly no exception!

In hand it is absolutely full red, unfortunately my photos are piss poor and the obv didn't come out as fiery red by any stretch of the imagination, so I can understand your what you wrote. I will try to find some other photos to make the case,

• Options

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is Wow!

• Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

With such very high relief wings, I wonder how well the design stacked when evaluated in 1854? (The answer in 2023 is that the slab stacks perfectly fine B) ).

Anyway, I'll echo everyone else. That is a wonderful coin. Beautiful!

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 25, 2023 7:11AM

Why would you ever apologize for posting such a beautiful and numismstically historically important piece (transition between large and small cents)? Plus its a US Coin, which is the title of this forum for gosske. ANYONE who complains about it needs to pack their bags and go find a paper clip collecting forum.

@RobertScotLover Curious tho - what's the diameter of the coin compared to a regular large or small cent? Is it a transitional size, or just a use of the Flying Eagle design on a Large Cent planchet?

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options

OK I dug out my Judd book and it's a transitional size and even transitional composition (Bronze- 10 years before it was used for regular issue US Coins). Omg SUPERB!!

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

No apologies necessary, it's a great coin. It would be up front and center in my collection, not something I'd have to "find".

Mark

• Options

Also imho the coin is a historically important piece and deserves a professional photo so it's available for future research

• Options

@87redcivic said:
    With such very high relief wings, I wonder how well the design stacked when evaluated in 1854? (The answer in 2023 is that the slab stacks perfectly fine B) ).

Anyway, I'll echo everyone else. That is a wonderful coin. Beautiful!

What's interesting about this particular piece is that it wouldn't stack properly since it also has a finned rim, unfortunately that aspect cannot be shown while it is in the holder.

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beauty!

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭

What an absolute beautiful piece especially for a pattern and especially for that beautiful flying eagle !
    As for the RD color, no 170 year old Proof Copper should look like a modern RD coin looks. Some may call it RD but it is only RD for a 170 year old RD coin, not for a modern RD copper. Seems to me RD is RD but not to the TPG's.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phenomenal! J-163/164 is on my short list of patterns I’d like to own. Thanks for sharing.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve always liked that Eagle 👍👍

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Art at its finest.

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

Taken a beak to unwind and this site is one way to do it ... not sure what you mean "found this photos of my coin" ... gee did you lose track of your collection? :smiley:

Nice looking - whether RB or red and in an old Green holder on top ... PCGS recent RD auction records - only 2!

Appears your piece was from the Aug 2000 B&M ANA Sale of the Millennium Collection Auction / Lot #4075 -noted by the reverse dark spot.

For those wishing a little more context on the Eagle design ... Bowers & Merena's auction catalog expanded with comments about "Peter the Eagle". I am sure Gobrecht silver dollar collectors will comment - but I find it interesting

Nice coin

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mark said:
    That is a stunning coin. As @jacrispies said, the high relief of the eagle is amazing. And because the coin has been slabbed since at least 1997, I expect that its color, whatever it may be, is definitely stable.

Those holders aren't air tight.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2023 4:18PM

Thank you Retirednow, goodstuff there. The second PCGS PR65RD that is listed which says it is from the July 1997 ANA Heritage sale is also one in the same coin, I happen to also have that earlier catalog although you can also read it online at HA.com archives except without the photo, since for some reason HA.com never shows photos from 1997.
    Here is the partial final paragraph in the description from that Heritage catalog:
    "A stunning pattern with flaming red color across both sides, kept from even a higher grade by several small flecks of carbon on the obv and a larger dark stain at the top of the reverse. A splendid example..."

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see a pic of the obv design from the perspective of the edge.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Mark said:

I agree from what I have heard. However the gentleman whom which I purchased it from acquired it in 2000 and stored it properly, he is a well known collector. Also the catalog photos are not bad to decipher a great deal of surfaces from which to compare the coin as it is today and it definitely matches. Adding the Auction House descriptions to the frey it appears it has remained stable. The question the beckons if I am storing it properly, and I believe that I am. Its in a dry environment and housed in an Intercept Shield box and she sure looks flaming red in color to me to this day fortunately. Lets hope the next 35 years have zero affect too

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

Found an older photo, must have ben taken by the seller

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,718 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Mark said:

I agree from what I have heard. However the gentleman whom which I purchased it from acquired it in 2000 and stored it properly, he is a well known collector. Also the catalog photos are not bad to decipher a great deal of surfaces from which to compare the coin as it is today and it definitely matches. Adding the Auction House descriptions to the frey it appears it has remained stable. The question the beckons if I am storing it properly, and I believe that I am. Its in a dry environment and housed in an Intercept Shield box and she sure looks flaming red in color to me to this day fortunately. Lets hope the next 35 years have zero affect too

I saw a whole date set of red Indian cents that were stored in a SDB turn. Your intercept shield box should do the trick. But my point was that those holders will not guarantee stable color because they are not air tight, contrary to what the person I was responding to said.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file