Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A shout out to Deplorable Dan.

goldengolden Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

As some of you know I had been looking for a $20 St. Gaudens in PCGS AU-58+ for five years including running a want ad on the BST board for the last three and a half years. Recently Deplorable Dan saw one on Facebook and immediately purchased it for me before he contacted me. I have never been on Facebook and would never have had a chance to purchase the coin.
I have never met Dan and until he contacted me about the coin had never corresponded with him before. He offered the coin to me at a very small markup, and I purchased it. What a great act of kindness to a stranger like me. One of the things that make Numismatics such a great hobby is the fantastic people that are involved in it.
I hope to be at the FUN show next month and get to meet Dan.
Also, the USPS did a great job and got the package to me in only two days.

Comments

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding!!
    Great to hear about this coming together after such a long search.
    Very cool that Dan stepped in to help too 🙂

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

An amazing act of kindness! Kudos to @DeplorableDan and congrats to @golden!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about some pictures?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, congrats!

The Best High Grade Mercury Dime Toners For Sale! + 2 Varieties - Ends July 7th! :smile:
    https://greatcollections.com/Collections/1120/The-Keyman64-Mercury-Dime-Collection/2024-07-07
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭✭✭

👏🏼

BHNC #248 … 121 and counting.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deplorable Dan is a nice guy and has been a great addition to the forum since he joined. :)

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like him alright.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@golden said:
    As some of you know I had been looking for a $20 St. Gaudens in PCGS AU-58+ for five years including running a want ad on the BST board for the last three and a half years. Recently Deplorable Dan saw one on Facebook and immediately purchased it for me before he contacted me. I have never been on Facebook and would never have had a chance to purchase the coin.
    I have never met Dan and until he contacted me about the coin had never corresponded with him before. He offered the coin to me at a very small markup, and I purchased it. What a great act of kindness to a stranger like me. One of the things that make Numismatics such a great hobby is the fantastic people that are involved in it.

Pics or it didn't happen!😂🤣

Someone had to say it!😉

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done Dan!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Dan strikes me as the kind of guy who never brags about his accomplishments and we has members here only know the tip of the iceberg when it comes to his collection and abilities.

Knowing Dan a little more behind the scenes, I can say without a doubt that we do only know the tip of the iceberg as far as his abilities go. He's probably one of the most knowledgeable collectors on the board.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@golden said:

Pics or it didn't happen!😂🤣

Someone had to say it!😉

Here’s the pics from when I had it, the submitter told me he felt like he got shafted as he was expecting ms62.

Honestly, I’ve had this in the back of my mind for the better part of 2 years and surprised it’s taken me this long to stumble across one. Most of these must be in very strong hands.

Great job Dan! Thank you for the pic!😎

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! Was rooting for you and keeping my eye out. Can't believe how hard it is to find.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan sounds like one heck of a guy and I would proud to know him. I've read great things about him all over this board.

Maybe one day I will be honored and meet him at a show. Until then, keep being who you are, "A great guy!!!"

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have not really had much interaction with DD but I can tell he is a good dude based on his postings around here.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

DeplorableDan 2024!

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats to the both of you guys. Thats what makes this place so dang great.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    DeplorableDan 2024!

Lets not get political LOL.

I am planning to meet Deplorable Dan for lunch this week. He seems like the real McCoy for sure.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! The members here are awesome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file