Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When the term "hammered" takes on an entirely different meaning!

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

1916 Buffalo Nickel apparently placed between leather straps and hammered to be a much larger size.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty cool despite it being unfortunately damaged. Maybe I'll try experimenting with this technique.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least it's not a doubled-die!

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I seriously doubt that pounding between leather pieces produced the larger piece. Look at the well-defined rim on the larger-in-diameter piece. Doesn't look flattened at all.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

This is a very old piece - I have had it for 40+ years - That's the explanation I got many years ago.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options

didn't know a grading service would holder such a coin - even if listing it as damaged. Might have to have my nickel graded.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back in the day they were called "Texas Dollars".
    Here is my Morgan that was stretched. It retains much of its design elements somewhat not distorted:

peacockcoins

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick Is the Texas dollar notably thinner than the normal Morgan?

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

Like that Morgan - very cool.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never heard of that... pretty neat.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the 1916 Buffalo nickel in the OP was struck between two pieces of leather in the 1980's I wonder if the person who did the striking was wearing "parachute pants" while singing "Can't touch this". B)

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacrispies said:
    @braddick Is the Texas dollar notably thinner than the normal Morgan?

Yes, by quite a bit. Probably about the thickness of a silver dime.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1931S said:
    I seriously doubt that pounding between leather pieces produced the larger piece. Look at the well-defined rim on the larger-in-diameter piece. Doesn't look flattened at all.

It can be done. It was more of a thing 40-50 years ago.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@renomedphys said:
    At least it's not a doubled-die!

It’s a doubled die-ameter

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    If the 1916 Buffalo nickel in the OP was struck between two pieces of leather in the 1980's I wonder if the person who did the striking was wearing "parachute pants" while singing "Can't touch this". B)

That would be 1990.
    I am interested in knowing how these are made, surely it is more involved than putting a coin between some leather and giving it a good whack. Does the metal need to be normalized or annealed first?

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file