Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you trust these PCCB Mingt flips?

they dont say whether they are mylar or pvc and I am wondering if i should transfer my coins. what do you guys think? has anyone had any problems with these?

</> Everybody wants to get the bread, but no one wants to eat the crust. </>

Comments

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

I have no direct experience, but without any for sure knowledge of how they are made, I'd opt for a brand with US/Canada origins.

• NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2023 4:52PM

@ajyas said:

they dont say whether they are mylar or pvc and I am wondering if i should transfer my coins. what do you guys think? has anyone had any problems with these?

I wouldn't trust those more than I would trust anything else that came from where they came from, other than maybe Pandas. Odds are very high they are made as cheaply as possible, no matter what they say.

I realize just about everything is made in China nowadays, but I would want a reputable, known company to be behind anything I was putting in contact with valuable collectibles. PCCB Mingt, selling through Ali Express, does not meet that criterion.

JP's corner lists some 2X2's of Canadian origin, and I've always had good luck with them -- there are many other good sources for supplies as well, JP's just came to mind. HTH!

https://www.jpscorner.com/products/2x2-cardboard-coin-holders-for-quarters

• ajyasajyas Posts: 43 ✭✭✭

thanks guys, im going to order some from jp's corner

For sure! They are very reputable, but so too is Wizard coin supply, etc. -- I love JP's corner but there are other good sellers out there as well. :smile:

One more question. Should i take my coins out of these flips until the new ones arrive? Will they possibly damage my coins in a short amount of time?

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ajyas said:
    One more question. Should i take my coins out of these flips until the new ones arrive? Will they possibly damage my coins in a short amount of time?

Even poor protection is better than no protection. Leave them alone until you get something better.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

I appreciate it. I'm kind of a hypochondriac when it comes to material possessions lol.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those aren't flips which are the two pocket coin holders---one for the coin and one for the cardboard square that you can print information on. PVC has a distinctive smell like a new shower curtain so just smell them. I've never seen a cardboard 2X2 staple holder made with PVC. Make sure you carefully flatten the staples with a pair of pliers so one holder doesn't scrape an adjacent holder when you store them. The coin holders from Canadian or US sources are probably made in China and are bought in bulk and then repackaged.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2023 7:39AM

I don’t know much about them but it’s worth asking about PCCB on an Asian coin forum where collectors may have more experience with them. I looked into them a while back and they have quite a large product line so they seem like a major supplier of collectible storage solutions.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why don't you test them before over-reacting? Most 2x2 windows are mylar.

Google the PVC Flame Test and sacrifice one.

Peace of mind is well worth it.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

I didn't think there was a way to test them, I got a bunch so I don't mind taking a lighter to one. Thanks for the tip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file