Home U.S. Coin Forum

Bust Halves - Mohawk Valley Hoard

Just for fun I thought it might be interesting to post a few pieces, for your perusal, from the famous Mohawk Valley Hoard. These three examples came directly from one of the two highly skilled finders. I especially like the 1811 as it has some dirt and grass still in the shield! Anyone else have an example(s) they would like to post?

Edgar

P.S. Slumlord98, do you still have your 1814 piece?

Up first, 1811, O-108 (with grass and dirt attached!).

1819, O-115

1826, O-117

Comments

• Talk about Crustie Busties!

I like them... it looks like the '11 and '26 are on their way to becoming holey coins. image
    were they hit with a BB gun or what is up with that?
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As both a metal detectorist and a holey coin guy, not to mention a Bust half lover, you can imagine how appealing I find these, on so many different levels.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Sweet coins. I saw one of those on Ebay last week and thought about buying it, but I didn't.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY COOL pieces!!! I just bought my first CBH for my 7070 type set... I can hardly wait!
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Very cool story............

Will PCGS grade them and designate the hoard?

Or would they BB em for the damage?

AL
  • Fever - where can I get about a dozen copies of your book? I've looked for clients and have come up empty.

As someone who spent his youth in Upstate New York I find the hoard story fascinating (this is not the first I've heard of it). I used to snorkel in Lake Champlain searching for Revolutionary war artifacts. I never found anything but knew people who found cannon, canon balls and other Revolutionary war material. There may still be lots of undiscovered treasures in those parts.
    Don Willis
    Premium Numismatics, Inc.
    myurl
    800-596-COIN
  • Hi Don,

Thanks for asking. I just sent you an email to your "info" email address with the number to call direct from the publisher.

Best Regards,

Edgar
  • Seemyauction,

I know that NGC slabbed quite a few of them and designated them from the Mohawk Valley hoard. I don't recall for sure if they graded them - I think they were just labeled AUTHENTIC.

I've never seen one in a PCGS slab.

Regards,

Edgar
  • Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@prenum said:
    Fever - where can I get about a dozen copies of your book? I've looked for clients and have come up empty.

As someone who spent his youth in Upstate New York I find the hoard story fascinating (this is not the first I've heard of it). I used to snorkel in Lake Champlain searching for Revolutionary war artifacts. I never found anything but knew people who found cannon, canon balls and other Revolutionary war material. There may still be lots of undiscovered treasures in those parts.

My mom grew up in the Lake Champlain area. My mom and dad are buried in Keeseville.

@FEVER , thank you for that history. It makes those coins come alive now with a history all their own!

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Very cool hoard story, which I had not heard of previously. Shame they were marked but it makes sense as to why they were!

@originalisbest said:
    Very cool hoard story, which I had not heard of previously. Shame they were marked but it makes sense as to why they were!

While I agree its a shame they were marked, but on the other hand once you know how and where they were marked it is easy to identify one….

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a few, on eBay, back when they first flooded the market. Now, you don't even hear about them, anymore. They were all very high grade, originals but the 'hallmark' bothered me, too much, so I sold them, years ago. I had an 1812, 1817 & 1819.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file