Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Unknown PCI slab, rounded corners?

ToreyTorey Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited November 21, 2023 10:51PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone have info on this PCI slab I received that has rounded corners instead of the usual sharp edges? It looks to have the older style font as well but I could be wrong? Maybe there are tons of them but I have never seen one. No cert number on it either.
Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2023 8:04PM

@airplanenut said:
    That type of slab (with prongs) is modern. Usually even the junky grading services have a serial number, as PCI did. Between the logo font being different from anything I've seen before and the lack of a serial number, plus this being a way newer shell than the last time I remember PCI existing, I'd be more tempted to say this is a play on PCI and not a real holder. Unless they recently started back up again...

Even if they started up again, there would be a serial number...

Edited to add: doesn't look like a 65 either, although the photos aren't good enough to be sure

• Options

These guys are getting desperate if they are counterfeiting PCI :D

• Options

@Torey said:
    These guys are getting desperate if they are counterfeiting PCI :D

Not really. If you can get a premium for an AU slider with zero chance of being sued, why wouldn't you take the shot? There's a chance that PCGS or NGC would go after you legally.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@airplanenut said:
    That type of slab (with prongs) is modern. Usually even the junky grading services have a serial number, as PCI did. Between the logo font being different from anything I've seen before and the lack of a serial number, plus this being a way newer shell than the last time I remember PCI existing, I'd be more tempted to say this is a play on PCI and not a real holder. Unless they recently started back up again...

Even if they started up again, there would be a serial number...

The only reason I entertained the idea that lack of a serial number isn't definitive is that (as far as I recall) PCI has been sold a few times, so theoretically, if there's a new incarnation and they made a heck of a goof, you could get this. I think those odds are really slim, but I wanted to give myself an out in case someone came along and said there's a new PCI in town.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

I’ll try to figure out if it’s a press together slab, I’m assuming @airplanenut is correct though.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never seen one like it. As @airplanenut said the prongs make it a modern slab. Additionally, the font is incorrect for the early/more accurately graded PCI slabs.

@86Saab has a detailed list of PCI slabs with 11 generations (not counting the photo slabs) on his website, and this isn't one of them.
    Could this be Gen. 12 under new ownership? Maybe he can chime in and give his input. Although I should say that most of the later PCI generations were created solely to separate unsuspecting collectors from their money, and I believe your example would fall into that category.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    morgandollar1878morgandollar1878 Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have never seen a PCI slab like that, so I am automatically suspicious about it being a genuine PCI slab especially since it does not have a serial number on it. I say that but I don't know why someone would counterfeit a PCI slab.

Instagram: nomad_numismatics
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion this was put together by someone and is not associated with what we know as PCI.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

peacockcoins

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^ those look like the new PCI, filled with heavily AT coins.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

Wouldn't put it past someone to restart a service called PCI. Each time it's reborn, it seems to slink down a notch in reputation. Amazing that the name still seems worth using.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a legitimate grading service, they should have included a hologram or other anti-counterfeiting feature on the label. The lack of any serial number is another major concern and would make me treat this the same as a raw coin in a flip,

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I would assume this is a "fake" PCI. I've never seen it before and I monitor al lot of sites and auction houses weekly. @braddick photo is the current iteration of PCI and it's still be used to separate uneducated collectors from their money on a weekly basis through a few online auction houses that have no morals whatsoever.

• Options

@airplanenut said:

@Torey said:
    I’m assuming @airplanenut is correct though.

Always a smart move

That's not what your wife says

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking exactly what
    @davewesen said.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 6:53AM

ALERT - Never seen a PCI slab with rounded corners. 1880-O $ MS65 MV $15,000 (CF). Are they even still in business?

I guess they will try anything. Stay away from that! PCI (defunct?) not even one of TPG accepted by ebay. Certainly he’s fishing for…. Somebody - where elevator does not go to the top.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 9:59AM

Funny. The barcode reads as "MG$1" so that is helpful to supplement the text "MG$1"

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@airplanenut said:

@Torey said:
    I’m assuming @airplanenut is correct though.

Always a smart move

That's not what your wife says

You met her? Please introduce me!

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

Their website, pcicoins dot com has been off since January 2018. It's been redirected to parking pages and other things like Indonesia.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file