Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1928 Peace Dollar Value

Hello,

Newbie here. My father recently passed away and my mom was wanting help selling some of his collector's coins.

The estimated value on this MS-66 Superb Gem Peace Dollar says $8000-10,000 but that sounds like it's too high. If anyone was willing to share their knowledge, I would be very appreciative!

Comments

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum and so sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately what Mark Feld states above is true.

Please keep your expectations low and ignore the “estimate” from this label. When you have a chance, post clear photos of both sides of each coin. This forum usually arrives at the market value quickly if the photos are reasonably decent.

Ultimately, the coin(s) may be worth more as a keepsake of your family’s history.

Folks here can also refer you to a local coin shop where you can either ask for an appraisal or an offer. Just ask if that’s the route you want to go.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum
    That is what is known as a basement slabber and is not one of the recognized grading companies.
    Chances are that it is not even a MS 66 grade.
    That slab has no value so if you want to remove it and supply a clear photo of both sides, someone here will be able to give you a more realistic grade and value.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Greenstang said:
    Welcome to the forum
    That is what is known as a basement slabber and is not one of the recognized grading companies.
    Chances are that it is not even a MS 66 grade.
    That slab has no value so if you want to remove it and supply a clear photo of both sides, someone here will be able to give you a more realistic grade and value.

Chances are good that it’s not even a 65 grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a huge jump in value between 64 and 65. If you had this graded by one of the top tiers companies, the value would look something like this:

MS63 = $600
    MS64 = $1300
    MS65 = $15000
    MS66 = $45000

Of the top of my head, I would guess it's probably either a 63 or 64. With better picture, who knows.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scotty4449 said:
    There is a huge jump in value between 64 and 65. If you had this graded by one of the top tiers companies, the value would look something like this:

MS63 = $600
    MS64 = $1300
    MS65 = $15000
    MS66 = $45000

Of the top of my head, I would guess it's probably either a 63 or 64. With better picture, who knows.

I'll guess AU details

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@scotty4449 said:

MS63 = $600
    MS64 = $1300
    MS65 = $15000
    MS66 = $45000

I'll guess AU details

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Expect to be disappointed. Do you have any idea what was paid for the coin?

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for you loss.
    Can you post clear pictures of both sides of the coin for us?
    We can't really tell you anything with only this much of the coin to work with.

That being said, the coin is not in any recognized third party grading holder(PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, and recently CACG) and I guarantee it does not grade MS66.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

I'll guess AU details

Yeah, it would be a shame if it was, but I wouldn't doubt it.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry for your loss.

As others have stated, the "slab" that this coin is in is essentially worthless as it is not recognized within the hobby-industry as having any accuracy in grading or relevance in the marketplace. In other words, this 1928-S should be considered as raw (ungraded).

If you have other coins in slabs then you should also be prepared to be highly disappointed if those slabs are not NGC, PCGS, CACG or ANACS. Regardless, decent photos of both sides of the coin will help others to help you.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@scotty4449 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

I'll guess AU details

Yeah, it would be a shame if it was, but I wouldn't doubt it.

A lot of the coins in Mongrel holders like that are AU sliders.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Additionally a coin that does grade MS66 is not a superb gem.
    66 would be gem. 67 or higher is Superb gem.

Better pics of the whole coin front and back are needed to assess the value. Its probably an AU coin.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:

Better pics of the whole coin front and back are needed to assess the value. Its probably an AU coin.

It's not nearly that clearly defined. Many numismatists use the word "Gem" to signify MS65 quality and "Superb" for MS67. But even if everyone agreed on those terms, what does that make a 65+, 66 or 66+? Gem plus? Superb minus? Other?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld 65+ thru 66+ would still be Gem just slightly nicer Gems. As far back as I can remember its been 63 and 64 were Choice unc. 65 and 66 were Gem and 67 and higher were Superb Gem. I know we now have plus grades and star designations etc, but if using an adjective to describe the coin it should be the same.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@MFeld said:

@gumby1234 said:

It's not nearly that clearly defined. Many numismatists use the word "Gem" to signify MS65 quality and "Superb" for MS67. But even if everyone agreed on those terms, what does that make a 65+, 66 or 66+? Gem plus? Superb minus? Other?

Definitely "Superb Minus"...lol

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

AS - About Superb

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @MFeld 65+ thru 66+ would still be Gem just slightly nicer Gems. As far back as I can remember its been 63 and 64 were Choice unc. 65 and 66 were Gem and 67 and higher were Superb Gem. I know we now have plus grades and star designations etc, but if using an adjective to describe the coin it should be the same.

If that's as far back as you can remember, I'm much older than you are. ;) And as far back as I can remember, there were no grades of 64, 66, etc. So any proclamation as to their classifications by adjectives is up for debate. >:)

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to the OP. Even though I agree the more "generic" TPGs carry grades that you really can not trust, will note that OCCASIONALLY there are pieces that, believe it or not, are under graded or graded correctly. I would like to see this particular coin in hand or at least better pictures before passing judgement.

Only an anecdote, but I had a fairly rare Panamanian coin that was certainly overgraded as Proof 68 and it came back as a 64. HOWEVER, the coin was still a bargain and bought it assuming the lower grade or thereabouts.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 22, 2023 3:15PM

It was in an auction with a presale estimate based on the holder it was in and some type of look-see by the auctioneer. It is impossible to guess grade without clear pictures. I looked over some dollars last weekend a seller had in PCI and "NCG" holders that an indoor flea market guy had. A point or so high imo on most of the coins. What I've noticed with NNC and similar non-recognized holders is they seem to grade based on a hypothetical, ie "if we overlook x, y and/or z what would the coin potentially grade?" Anything is possible on grade on the coin, I'd say likely a point or two high for an "MS66" because who ever made the final decision may have seen it as an MS63-4 without grade limiting issues.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file