Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone ever heard of or bought anything from Denver Coins on the bay?

Just wondering if they have that's all

Comments

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2023 12:51PM

Yes. I've been watching them for a very long time. They GAVE AWAY a very, very nice 1859 O silver dollar recently, but I missed it. It was a beautiful coin, probably equal to the finest known. $2300. or so, worth maybe ten times that.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MapsOnFire said:

Yes. I've been watching them for a very long time. They GAVE AWAY a very, very nice 1859 O silver dollar recently, but I missed it. It was a beautiful coin, probably equal to the finest known. $2300. or so, worth maybe ten times that.

I see a ridiculously juiced and poorly white balanced photo of a coin with odd lustre indicating that its surfaces are likely suspect. Tell me your comment is in jest.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

They just sold a cameo proof 1873 trade dollar as gem uncirculated, but I wouldn’t trust their pictures as far as I could throw them. They are absolutely jazzed up to look spectacular. And that 1859 Seated Dollar is nowhere near the quality of the finest known. I should know as I used to own it.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2023 3:41PM

I just returned a coin to them. The slab was chipped. I found the coin I received vs. The coin in the image did not match up. Their photos are jacked up or should to much make up on the coin. Good communication with the seller.
    I sent the coin back on his dime and my refund was sent right away.
    This does not mean that good buys can't be found.
    This was my one experience.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this seller and the guy down in Canyon City (with the safe found in the cement block house) are the same. Pics appear the same.
    bob :)
    vegas baby'!
    And no, I have not bought from them as the pics are dripping in juiciness.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

This should give you an idea of what they do to their pictures as they are the exact same coin:

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    I think this seller and the guy down in Canyon City (with the safe found in the cement block house) are the same. Pics appear the same.
    bob :)
    vegas baby'!
    And no, I have not bought from them as the pics are dripping in juiciness.

I agree, this looks to be a second (or tenth) account of a seller that is known to enhance his photos. I have not bought from them nor would I knowing what I already know about the seller.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

I purchased 3 raw morgan coins from denver coins in dec 2021. 1 choice, 1 solid+, 1 superb+. the coins were graded by pcgs, last year. 1 ms63PL, 1 ms64+, and the final unc details. i would never purchase another coin from them as long as i live.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have seen their wares. The photos made me wary.

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

I liked the coin very much. But I'm glad to read your opinion. I've been around for a very long time, always paying close attention to details. Guess I'm wrong on this one.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    This should give you an idea of what they do to their pictures as they are the exact same coin:

The graded example looks like there is illumination under the head, it's that bright.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 137 ✭✭✭✭

This guy cracked out a few UNC details “altered color” indian head cents out of PCGS slabs, then proceeded to say they were from an original roll. Posted deceiving pics with them as well.

He is a straight liar.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had two 21 peace dollars that looked amazing / both came back cleaned.
    I also got a 83 CC raw auction for ~275 (!! - I was happy with that) and got it graded and it straight graded as MS64! So I was stoked with that!!
    But 2 losers and 1 winner is the overall score!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought an MS Peace dollar from them because I thought I saw clear doubling in the lettering. The coin was OK, probably MS63, the doubling was shelf doubling, though a letter or two showed what looked to be a notch.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file